Weekly WordPress News: GPL Licenses and Starter Content
The biggest news from this week was a dust up between Matt Mullenweg and Wix over Wix’s use of some WordPress code. You can check out both Matt’s original article and the response from Wix’s CEO.
There’s also some great news that fresh installs of wordpress.org themes will soon be allowed to include starter content.
And if you want to get your hands on the newest version of WordPress, Beta 1 for WordPress 4.7 just got released.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 4.7 Removes the Underline and Justify Buttons From the Editor – hopefully you aren’t a fan of the underline or justify buttons, because when WordPress 4.7 ships they’re going to disappear!
- The Wix Mobile App, a WordPress Joint – it appears Wix may have gotten a little too friendly with some WordPress code.
- an open letter from Wix.com’s CEO Avishai Abrahami – it’s only fair to also include the response to Matt’s claims from Wix’s CEO.
- The Intimidation of Creatively Solving Problems – should you handle problems creatively or go with what you know?
- WordPress 4.7 Beta 1 – if you can’t wait to get your hands on WordPress 4.7, the first beta is now available.
- Six Figure Freelancing — My Session From WordCamp Seattle 2016 – give it a read if you’re interested in becoming a freelance WordPress developer.
- How We Built A Multipurpose Theme In Two Months – WPZoom discusses building a new multi-purpose theme in two months.
- Starter Content Now Allowed in WordPress.org Themes – fresh installs of wordpress.org will be able to use starter content soon.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- WordPress and Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) – how to get started with Google AMP on WordPress.
- WordPress: How to Enhance the Visual Editor With Custom Formats – very helpful guide on making the WordPress Editor work better for you.
- A Beginner’s Guide to A/B Testing Your eCommerce Site – some eCommerce-specific A/B testing tips.
- How to Import Posts from Google Docs to WordPress Manually or Automatically – Colin’s method for bringing posts in from Google Docs to WordPress.
- How to Install WordPress Locally the Easy Way – localhosts are the absolute best way to play around with WordPress.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- The WPLift Roundup of the Best Free WordPress Themes October 2016 – check out the best new free themes released in October.
- S4 E1: Logan Nickelson of MusicForMakers.com – Logan discusses running a membership marketplace on the Matt Report.
- The Ultimate List of WordPress Business Ideas – some ideas for generating money with WordPress.
- 8 WordPress Blog Themes That Will Help You Write In Style – some nice blogging themes.
- WordCamp US live stream – if you can’t make it to Philadelphia in December, bookmark this page for a link to the live stream of all the events.
- October 2016 WordPress Core, Plugins & Themes Vulnerabilities Roundup – a helpful list of potential WordPress vulnerabilities identified in October.