Free WordPress Popup Plugin to Increase Your Social Media Followers
Using a popup plugin on your WordPress website is a proven way to bring attention to your mailing list, social networks or other action you would like readers to take. Some people may loathe them but they are a very effective method and if configured correctly they don’t have to be a nuisance. I have been using a popup plugin here on WPLift to increase our neslwtter subscribers and it works – I saw over 500% increase in new subscribers when I installed one. The trick is to not have it trigger on the first page view and to set a cookie of 30 days or more so it doesn’t annoy regular readers once they click the close button.
I had been looking for a similar plugin for another site to increase my social media followers and I found WordPress Popups in the directory which is a free plugin which does exactly that. The plugin is free to download and there is also a premium version if you need extra features for it. Let’s take a look at the plugin and how to configure it.
After you upload and activate the plugin, you will see it has added a new menu item called “Popups” which is where you can begin configuring as many popups as you wish to use on your site. If you visit the “All Popups” link you will see a demo one has been added which you can begin configuring, the popup loads in the visual editor and you can change the title text and add any other content into the body :
You will see there are shortcodes which are used to display the social media buttons for Facebook, Google and Twitter. Underneath there are options for these shortcodes so you can enter your URL plus other options for the button :
Underneath the shortcodes options is the “Popup Display Rules” box which is where you can choose where this popup should be shown – this section is very powerful and governed by rules so you can choose to show the popup on specific pages, post types, for different user roles and so on.
Finally you have the “Display Options” box where you can configure all the options for how the popup looks – you can set the position, trigger action, delay, animation, background color, overlay opacity, border color and so on:
Once you are done configuring your options, you can click “Publish” and then “View Post” to see the popup in action :
This plugin is quite powerful with a lot of available options, as follows :
- Show popup on specific pages, templates, posts, etc
- Filter user from search engines
- Filter users that never commented
- Filter users that arrived via another page on your site
- Filter users via roles
- Show popup to logged / non logged users
- Show or not to mobile and tablet users
- Show depending on post type, post template, post name, post format, post status and post taxonomy
- Show depending on page template, if page is parent, page name, page type
- Choose from 5 different popup locations
- Trigger popup after X seconds or after scrolling % of page
- Auto hide the popup if the user scroll up
- Change font color, background, borders, etc
- You can also configure background opacity.
- Days until popup shows again
The pro version includes even more features which can be purchased from $15 for a single site:
- 8 New animations effects – Online demo
- Exit Intent technology
- New trigger methods
- Timer for auto closing
- Ability to disable close button
- Ability to disable Advanced close methods like esc or clicking outside of the popup
- Premium support
This is a great free plugin with loads of options for configuring popups for the exact functionality you need – it compares well to other premium solutions and for $15 the premium version is great value. The free version should include enough functionality for most people and will definitely help you increase your social media followings. I would like to see more social networks included such as Linkedin, Pinterest, Instagram etc to appeal to a wider audience but they have the main networks covered.
I recommend you give it a try if you are looking for a popup to handle social media followers.