Alice is a new WordPress portfolio theme created by Bluxart aimed at agencies and freelancers who want to display their work in a very attractive and modern layout. It has a nice grid-based layout which lets you show off images and videos in a full screen setting and is packed full of features to help you design a unique site.
View Alice Details » Get Hosting »
As is the current trend with themes available on ThemeForest, Alice packs a huge amount of features in, it includes a page builder plugin which must be installed upon activation to access the live builder functionality and it also includes the popular revolution slider. Despite the large amount of features, the theme remains fast, achieving a 97% page speed grade which points to the theme being solidly constructed.
Other highlights include Google fonts, 700 icon fonts, retina graphic options, element animations, social sharing options and custom post types which are handled by a plugin so your data will remain should you switch themes.
Here is a full run-down of what is included:
- Fast – A (90+) Ratings on both Page Speed and YSlow! See Here
- Modern design
- Fully Responsive
- Retina Ready
- Over 700+ Icons Fonts available
- Google Fonts Library
- Bootstrap Framework 3.3.4
- Shortcodes Generator
- Awesome Page Builder – ($33 value) – Offers endless possibilities of content creation and organisation.
- Revolution Slider Plugin Included – ($18 value)
- Extensive Theme Options
- Preloader Animation – You can enable the preloader for all pages website or you decide what page,post can have a preloader.
- Animate Elements – Animate all elements with 6 different CSS Animations.
- Animate Content for Mobile Devices – You can enable or disable it.
- WPML Plugin Ready – WPML Plugin in case your business needs a multi language site.
- Translation Ready – Contains .po/.mo files.
- Custom Options for 404, Search, Archives Page
- Creative Social Share – Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
- Two Colors Menu – You can switch for each pages/post the color of the menus from dark to light and viceversa
- Shortcodes Available
- Hero Title Header
- Footer Wigets Area – You can select from dark or light version.
- Child Theme Included – Support for easy customization, that is not affected by theme updates.
- Extensive Documentation
- Demo Content – Import XML file for replicate the demo site.
- Video Tutorials – See Here All Video
- No PSDs Included
- and more other features…
After you upload and activate the theme, you are promoted to install some required plugins for added functionality.
Some plugins are packaged with the theme and a couple will be added from the WordPress repository, they are as follows:
- AZ Custom Post Type – This is the plugin which activates the clients, testimonials, team and portfolio custom post types. It doesn’t require any setup, just installation and activation.
- AZ Shortcodes – This is the plugin which will offer you some shortcodes to use in the theme.
- Visual Composer – The actual page builder ( shortcode editor ) of the theme. It comes with some of the original plugin shortcodes and some custom crafted shortcodes. Some shortcodes might look or function different than the original plugin.
- Revolution Slider – Layered slider which can be used anywhere in the theme. You can find the documentation about the slider inside the package downloadable from Themeforest.
- oAuth Twitter Feed for Developers – Not required plugin, but it is needed if you want use the twitter shortcode anywhere in your website.
- Contact Form 7 – This is the plugin for create unlimited contact form.
After you have added the plugins, you need to create a blank page named home and one for the blog, then visit Settings > Reading > and set these as static pages.
Article continues after this block
To import the demo data, upload the .xml file in the WordPress importer and it will add all the content from the demo site for you.
Once you have the plugins activated and demo data installed, you can visit your site and it should look the same as the theme demo. To begin customizing the theme, there are two places to do so – the Customizer contains options for colors and social media links:
The “Typography” tab is where you can choose to customize the fonts throughout the theme, you can also disable this if required and use what is included by default.
You have “Header” options, “Title Header” options and “Footer” options so you can change their appearance if required and set background images and so on. The “Portfolio” and “Team” sections let you choose custom slugs for the custom post types created by the AZ plugin.
The “Blog” tab is where you can choose a wide layout of grid layout and choose a featured image size and set the pagination options.
The “Misc” tab allows you to choose options for Error pages, Archive pages and Search pages, different layouts, header options and so on.
There is also options to enable automatic theme updates and to import / export your settings so you can move your chosen settings over to another site using the Alice theme.
All in all, the options panel is remarkably comprehensive and should allow you to tweak the site to your liking.
To avoid content lock-in, Alice handles your data by providing a plugin which adds custom post types for Team, Clients, Testimonials and Portfolio items. You can add items to these post types as you would add a regular post, you can also create categories for each.
With the visual composer activated, you can create posts, pages, portfolio items and so on by dragging and dropping items into place :
Post types also have additional options at the bottom of each to further configure how items are displayed :
Alice is an extremely detailed WordPress theme which you can tell a lot of development time has gone into it – there are so many possible customization options packed into it. The good thing about it is that with the demo data imported, it looks exactly like the theme demo so when installing it, that should be your starting point before you begin to delve in and figure out what all the options do. This isn’t an activate and forget type of theme, it will require some work getting used to all the options available to you, but once you start to play with it, all the options become apparent.
Design-wise, its a lovely designed theme, I urge you to check out the theme demo and have a look around at the different types of layouts and post types that are available to you. The main menu is really nice, you click the menu icon and it slides in with links and social icons on the right, with your logo in the center and the content to the left
The responsive detailing is another stand out feature for me, it looks great on mobiles and tablets and using retina images and the built-in iOS icon uploads will provide a great experience for mobile browsers.
If you are in need of a modern theme which packs in a lot of features then I recommend you take a look at Alice and see if it suits your needs.
View Alice Details » Get Hosting »