Weekly WordPress News: WPLift on SSL & REST API Vulnerability Hits 100k+ Sites
WPlift (finally) has SSL for the entire website. It did take me all morning communicating with Siteground, Sucuri, and MaxCDN – but it works! A big up for their support. Let’s Encrypt itself is easy to install, but the combination of having a Firewall, a complicated .htaccess file and a CDN was causing some troubles for me. For the moment we have switched off MaxCDN, but I will dive into that on Monday. Will keep you updated.
Unfortunately, the REST API vulnerability that WordPress 4.7.2 addressed has affected hundreds of thousands of WordPress sites. If you haven’t already updated, you need to update RIGHT NOW.
There’s also an interesting new plugin from Vectr that allows basic embedded editing in WordPress.
And if you’ve ever wondered how direct plugin sales compare to Code Canyon, one seller shared some data.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress REST API Vulnerability is Being Actively Exploited, Hundreds of Thousands of Sites Defaced – if you haven’t already updated to WordPress 4.7.2, you need to today.
- WordPress Plugin Seller Discloses A Comparison of Plugins Sales: Direct vs CodeCanyon – an interesting look at direct sales vs. Code Canyon.
- Gravity Forms vs. WPForms vs. Caldera Forms: Which is Best? – Colin’s thoughts on these three form builders.
- Vectr Launches Embedded Editor Plugin For WordPress – a very interesting new plugin.
- What Developers Need to Know Before Offering Code Audits – give this a read if you’re a dev.
- Why WordPress in Education – a bit of a “wall of text”, but a good read nonetheless.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- Custom Plugin – When to use functions.php and when should you use a Plugin? – learn how and why you should consider using a custom plugin instead of functions.php.
- How to Fix Soft 404 Errors in WordPress – learn how you can fix soft 404 errors.
- Tips and tricks for speeding up your WordPress website – by no means a new topic, but it’s an important one.
- Programmatically Creating WordPress Users – learn how to best create new WordPress user programmatically.
- A Straightforward Guide to the WordPress Template Hierarchy – rainy day? Learn about template hierarchies.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- Bookly Review: Launch a Booking Website with Google Calendar and WooCommerce Support – Joe’s review of the Bookly plugin.
- The Best WordPress Plugins for Restaurants – the best plugins for restaurants.
- GOCHA Video Comment Review – Timestamped Video Comments Revisited – Colin’s updated review of the GOCHA Video Comment plugin.
- Episode 48 – Podcasting, the Product Space, & SAAS w/Dave Rodenbaugh – Dave Rodenbaugh guest hosts an episode of MasterMind.FM