If you’re not hosting at WP Engine, you might feel a little jealous as all WP Engine customers now get access to Genesis and 35 StudioPress themes for free as part of their plan.
Beyond that, we’ve also got plenty of Gutenberg news, some great tutorials, and SiteGround is running a big labor day sale where you can get 70% off for a limited time.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WP Engine Customers Get Genesis/StudioPress Themes For Free – congrats, WP Engine customers! You just got an awesome new value add. You get Genesis and the 35 StudioPress themes for free. If you want to switch, you can use WPE20OFF for 20% off your first payment (AKA up to 4 months free for annual subscriptions).
- Wix vs WordPress: A Hands-On Comparison To Help You Choose – how to choose between Wix and WordPress for your site (we like WordPress!).
- $1,000 Websites – this is a YouTube video from Matt Medeiros.
- Gutenberg 3.7 Released, Introduces Spotlight Mode – more tweaks to Gutenberg!
- Gutenberg Contributors Considering a “Focus Mode” for Writing – personally, I think this doesn’t solve the actual problem of why Gutenberg isn’t great to write in.
- Gutenberg, Forks, and the need for an LTS version of WordPress – a good article from Morten.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- Clean up WordPress Theme HEAD Section & Unneeded JS & CSS Files – Gordan shows you how to do it.
- How to enable Inner Blocks in your Gutenberg Block – a developer-focused article from Igor Benic.
- How To Make Your Website Accessible Using Gutenberg – general principles but applied with Gutenberg.
- How We Added Content Personalization to WordPress’ Gutenberg – this is pretty neat!
- URL Validation in WordPress – another developer-focused tutorial.
RESOURCES & DEALS
- 20+ Astra Theme Examples To Inspire Your Next WordPress Site – thinking of using the Astra theme for your website? Here are 20 great live examples to inspire you.
- Want The Best WordPress Directory Plugin? 6 Options Compared – check out the 6 best directory plugins.
- SiteGround Back To Business Sale – get 70% off for a limited time.
- The 7 Stages Of WordPress Professional Growth – a good podcast from Troy at WP Elevation.