You’re here because you want to learn more about your readers. Who they are, what they think. And whether you’re trying to get feedback on your website or just looking to gather demographic information on your readership, one of the best ways to do that is with a survey.
By default, you don’t really have any options to create surveys in WordPress. But, as is normally the case with WordPress, there are some helpful WordPress survey plugins which can help you get up and surveying in no time.
In this post, I’ll give you a short guide on how to use one of the best free survey plugins. Then, I’ll give you some other alternative plugins for creating both surveys and polls in WordPress.
What’s the Difference Between a Survey and a Poll?
Note that, at least for this article, I’ll be using the terms “survey” and “poll” to mean slightly different things. Surveys are multi-question forms designed to elicit either freeform or multiple choice responses. On the other hand, polls are simple, one question forms that only let users pick from predefined answers.
How To Survey Users Using a WordPress Plugin
To create a survey for your WordPress users, you can use the free Survey plugin from POWr. As long as you collect fewer than 100 survey submissions per month, the plugin is 100% free. If you’re looking for an unlimited survey solution, I’ll suggest some other options after this tutorial. But for now, I think POWr Survey is the best option for most WordPress users.
Once you install and activate the free plugin, you’ll have a new POWr Survey tab which includes your survey builder:
You can add survey questions by clicking the Add Element button:
And you can edit questions or reorder them by clicking on the question or dragging the question to a different location:
Article Continues Below
Once you’re finished adding questions, just click the Next button. On the next tab, you can configure some basic settings options for your survey:
Once you configure your settings, click Next again to advance and style the design of your survey. You can change colors, styles, layouts, and more:
When you’re happy with how your survey looks, just click Save.
At this point, you’ll need to sign up for a POWr account. But again – you don’t need to pay anything if you’re surveying fewer than 100 users per month.
Once you create your account, give your survey a name and confirm that you want to use the Free plan. And you’re almost done!
Now, you just need to add your survey to your live site. You can do this in two ways. First, you can copy and paste the shortcode into any post or page:
Or, you can add it to your sidebar via a dedicated widget:
Once you publish your changes, you should see your brand spankin’ new WordPress survey:
And that’s it! You just created a survey with WordPress. But if you don’t like POWr’s limits, or just want to try something else, here are some other options for surveys.
Other WordPress Survey Plugin Options
Most premium form plugins can actually create perfectly functional surveys. In addition to those form plugins, there are also some other dedicated survey plugins. Here are some of the best survey plugin alternatives:
- Gravity Forms – Known best as a premium contact form plugin, Gravity Forms has plenty of power to create a survey. All you need to do is create a form with the appropriate free or multiple choice responses and you can easily collect and manage all of your submissions. Gravity Forms starts at just $39.
- WPForms – Similar to Gravity Forms, WPForms also offers plenty of functionality for surveys. You can use its drag and drop form builder to quickly create surveys. WPForms starts at $39 as well. Check out my WPForms review for more information.
- Surveys by Feedback Cat – Surveys by Feedback Cat is 100% free and lets you set up simple on-page surveys to collect quick information from your readers. It won’t work for long surveys, but it’s a nice solution if you just have a couple of questions.
- YITH WooCommerce Surveys – If you’re specifically looking to add surveys to WooCommerce, then YITH WooCommerce Surveys is a great option. It will let you ask up to three questions during the user’s checkout process.
Maybe you don’t need a full survey, though. If you just want to ask your audience one specific question, then you’re probably better off with a WordPress poll plugin. Here are some of the best…
Best WordPress Poll Plugins for Simple Questions
These plugins won’t let you create full surveys, but if you just want to poll your audience on a single question, they’re a great option:
- Poller Master – Poller Master is a premium plugin at CodeCanyon which gives you the absolute most power over how your polls function. You can choose from 40+ design options, create unlimited polls, and add countdown timers to your polls. You can even add videos to your polls like the example above! If you’re willing to spend $18 on a polling plugin, Poller Master gives you great functionality.
- WP-Polls – WP-Polls is a free plugin that lets you create unlimited AJAX polls for your WordPress site. You can then embed these polls in your posts/pages, or in your sidebar via a dedicated widget.
- YOP Poll – YOP Poll is another free polling plugin for WordPress. You can style your polls from a number of different included templates and then insert them wherever needed. You can even schedule them to only run at certain times, which is a nice feature. YOP Poll also includes some great options for visualizing your final polling data.
If you want to create a survey with WordPress and aren’t expecting more than 100 responses per month, I think you should follow my tutorial for using the Survey plugin from POWr.
If you are expecting more than 100 responses per month, you may want to use a premium form plugin like Gravity Forms or WPForms for the most functionality.
And if you just want to add a simple poll to your WordPress site, then Poller Master gives you the most functionality. But at a cost. If you want free options, both WP-Polls and YOP Poll are good choices.
If you have any questions about how to add a survey to WordPress, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments!