The Weekly WordPress News: Microsoft Azure, Siteground Offer & PostStatus Future Plans
Yesterday I published a post sponsored by Microsoft who wanted to let our readers know about their Cloud Hosting platform called Azure, I tested it out and it’s a really solid platform for scaling websites – It also includes free hosting for WordPress websites which you can install from their dashboard in a few clicks. It’s an interesting offering which goes up against services like WordPress.com but with the option to install any theme or plugin you choose, you can grab a free account here.
I have been spending a bit of time on ManageWP also this week and they just launched a new feature which lets you comment on any articles submitted. It’s an interesting move and should bring some more interaction on the site – If you haven’t already you should check out ManageWP, it’s a good source of WordPress news for sites you might not come across usually.
One of our site sponsors, SiteGround hosting have created an exclusive deal for WPLift readers where you can get 60% off their normal hosting plans. If you are looking for a new host who specialises in WordPress then you can signup here.
And finally, check out Brian’s post on PostStatus where he outlines his plans for monetizing and growing the site through paid memberships and possibly more sponsorship deals. It’s a bold move as we tend to assume all blog content should be free but Brian has an excellent record at producing good content and enough good-will within the WordPress community to make it work – I wish him all the best taking the site forward.
Here’s the rest of the best links from around the web from the last 7 days, have a good weekend everyone!
WordPress News and Articles
- WordPress Competitors: Modern Alternatives to WordPress – How do the competitors to WordPress’s crown stack up? Take a look at my guide to the main ones.
- The future of Post Status – Read about Brian’s plans for monetizing and growing PostStatus with memberships and sponsorships.
- My Take on WordPress – Interesting article by Chris Lema on the current state of WordPress.
- Web Design Trends To Look Out For In 2015 – Nathan Weller highlights some trends for WordPress design which have matured over the last 12 months.
- A Chat With Anders Norén on Finding Inspiration for WordPress Theme Design – Anders has caught my eye in the WordPress theme directory releasing some quality free themes, check out this interview with him on WPTavern.
- Understanding the WordPress Security Plugin Ecosystem – A guide to WordPress security plugins from Sucuri.
- The makers of WordPress learned years ago that the ultimate office perk is not having an office – Article about Autommatic’s distributed workforce policy.
- BuddyPress 2.1 “Patsy” Released – The new version has a better @mentions interface with a suggestions panel.
- A Content Marketing Case Study: WordPress History Longread – A case study of Kinsta‘s epic WordPress history post.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How to Install WordPress on Microsoft Azure: Step by Step Guide – My walk-through on how to setup WordPress on Azure, a cloud hosting platform by microsoft.
- How To Create WordPress Post Formats – A guide to Post Formats and how to add them to your themes.
- Custom Post Types vs. ACF Repeater Fields – A good post about whether to build in Custom Post Types or use a plugin for functionality.
- Options for SSL in WordPress – Solid tutorial on using SSL with WordPress.
- How Plugin Developers Should Manage Image Assets – A quick guide for managing images within WordPress plugins.
Resources & Freebies
- Google Maps & WordPress – Free & Paid Plugins to Add Maps to Your Website – A comprehensive roundup of free and paid plugins to add Google Maps functionality to your WordPress site.
- The WPlift Roundup of the Best Free WordPress Themes September 2014 – My monthly roundup of all the best free WordPress theme releases.
- CoursePress – Create and Sell Awesome Courses in WordPress for Free – WPMUDev have just released a new plugin for running course in WordPress.