This week saw the release of the initial designs for the new WordPress default theme, Twenty Fifteen. From the look of the mockups provided its heading back to a more traditional blog layout with sidebar. It all looks very clean and ready-friendly so I'm looking forward to this one and seeing what functionality it will showcase, a step in the right direction compared to Twenty Fourteen which I just didn't get on with at all.
Also this week, saw a number of sites including WordPress, Netflix and many others step-up the battle for net neutrality, something which will greatly affect many of us of us who publish content online. Check out Brian's post on the matter and the worrying graphic he posted.
Here's the weekly news, enjoy your weekend!
This is our weekly WordPress news roundup post, you can view previous news roundups on this tag. Join our 8000 followers on Twitter for more frequent WordPress news throughout the week, Facebook page or even on Pinterest.
WordPress News and Articles
- Your website is not allowed to be fast - Please don't ruin the internet. The graphic in Brian's post is pretty depressing but I can see it ending up like that.
- Global Brands Using WordPress ( and what they use it for) - I took a look at some global brands which use WordPress, a companion to my first post “Famous Brands using WordPress as their CMS”
- Exclude a WordPress Theme Style Guide - Tom questions whether designer should include a style guide with their themes.
- Include a WordPress Theme Style Guide - Part two of the post series.]
- First Look at Designs for the Twenty Fifteen Default WordPress Theme - I like the direction this is heading in, I'm not a fan of Twenty Fourteen so this is a head back in the right direction for me.
- WordPress Theme Review Team to Launch Mentoring Program - This can only be good to get approval times up for new themes.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Complete Guide to Make Your WordPress Themes Retina Display Ready - Scripts and plugins to make your themes hiDPI ready.
- How to disable right-click in WordPress - Plugins to disable right-clicking on your WP site.
- How To Use SSL & HTTPS With WordPress - Secure your site and make Google happy.
- 10 tips for an awesome and SEO-friendly blog post - Some tips from Yoast on creating SEO friendly posts.
- Understanding and Working with Taxonomies and Terms in WordPress - Tuts+ guide to taxonomies in WordPress.
Resources & Freebies
- Free and Commercial Parallax WordPress Themes & Plugins - An update to our parallax guide for WordPress, free plugins and themes you can use.
- Corporate WordPress Themes: Financial, Insurance, Banking, Consultancy & More - Some ultra-corporate themes for Financial sites, Insurance, Consultancies and more.
- Partial Deposits for WooCommerce: Accept Deposits for Online Bookings - Review of a handy WooCommerce add-on plugin.
- 5 Great Google Plus Plugins for WordPress - A roundup of some free plugins to integrate Google+ with your WordPress site.