Weekly WordPress News: WordPress 5.6 Release Candidate
Hey, WordPress fans.
This week, WordPress 5.6 gets ready for prime time with its first release candidate. The official release is currently scheduled for December 8th – mark it on your calendars.
Beyond that, the WordPress.org theme previewer might finally get starter content (no more ugly demos!) and WordPress.com kicked off a popular blog for TOS violations.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 5.6 Release Candidate – 5.6 is almost ready for prime time – release is scheduled for December 8.
- Should WordPress Notify Users of Plugin Ownership Changes? – what do you think? I think that this could be useful.
- WordPress To Combine Its Long-Neglected Theme Previewer With Starter Content – this has always been super frustrating so this is exciting to see.
- Why Gatsby Chose Headless WordPress for our Blog – why Gatsby went with headless WordPress.
- Announcing WPGraphQL v1.0 – an interesting option for building headless WordPress sites.
- WordPress.com Gives Conservative Treehouse the Boot, Citing TOS Violations – an interesting topic that might kick up some controversy.
- Large-Scale Attacks Target Epsilon Framework Themes – pay attention if you’re using one of these themes.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- WordPress SMTP Tutorial: How to Configure WordPress to Use SMTP Server – how to configure your site to use free SMTP from SendGrid.
- Resolve CORS Errors with WordPress REST API – some tips from WebDevStudios.
- Advanced PHP localhost development on a Mac for mere mortals – as the title says.
- Exit-Intent Pop-ups: Why and How to Use Them on WordPress – how to use these popups on your site.
- 3 Best WordPress Security Plugins to Lock Down Your Site – we rounded up the best security plugins.
- Twenty Twenty-One: A Deep Dive into the New Default WordPress Theme – Kinsta digs into the new theme.
- DigitalOcean vs AWS vs Google Cloud vs Linode vs Vultr: Which is Best for Hosting WordPress? – helpful if you’re hosting WordPress in the cloud.
- Building a no code business with Corey Haines of Swipe Files – a new episode of Matt Report.