Weekly WordPress News: WordPress 5.6 Beta and Loginizer Vulnerability
Hey, WordPress friends.
This week, we get our first look at WordPress 5.6 in the first beta release. However, there are no block-based widgets, which might come as a surprise to some people.
Beyond that, there was a big security issue in the Loginizer plugin, which prompted WordPress.org to automatically push the update to all WordPress installs running the plugin.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 5.6 Beta 1 – WordPress 5.6 is getting ready for primetime.
- Q: First FSE WordPress Theme Now Live – the first full site block editing theme is live – check it out to get an idea of what themes might look like in the future.
- WordPress 5.6 Release Team Pulls the Plug on Block-Based Widgets – there will not be block-based widgets in WordPress 5.6.
- WordPress can now turn blog posts into tweetstorms automatically – you’ll need Jetpack or WordPress.com to use this feature.
- Loginizer Plugin Gets Forced Security Update for Vulnerabilities Affecting 1 Million Users – a big vulnerability in this popular plugin.
- WooCommerce Tests New Instagram Shopping Checkout Feature, Now in Closed Beta – interesting for WooCommerce users.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- WordPress Lottie Tutorial: Best Plugins to Use Lottie on WordPress – learn how to use Lottie animations on your WordPress site.
- How to Set Up WordPress Lazy Loading (Native + Plugins) – we show you how WordPress lazy loading works now that WordPress supports native lazy loading for images.
- How to Fix the Facebook oEmbed Issue in WordPress – as the title says.
- How to Create a Multi-Step Checkout in WooCommerce – also as the title says.
- How We Launched Our First Virtual Event – WP Buffs shared how they did it.
- 6 Best WordPress Maintenance Services: Monthly Or One-Time Fixes – save some time by using a maintenance service.
- Scary Warning Signs Your Website Needs a Redesign – a Halloween-themed resource.
- Signs Your WordPress Website Has Outgrown Its Hosting – another good resource.
- GoDaddy’s partner business president on building a lucrative career designing and developing WordPress sites – an interview.
- Funding a WordPress podcast – a new episode of Matt Report.
- AppSumo WordPress Portal Deal – create a WordPress client portal with this AppSumo deal.