Weekly WordPress News: WordPress 5.1.1 Patches Critical Vulnerability
This week, we got WordPress 5.1.1, a security and maintenance release that fixes a cross-site scripting vulnerability. If you haven’t updated yet, you should do so ASAP.
Beyond that, Automattic released a new video that takes some shots at Facebook, and Brad from Delicious Brains shares some reasons to host WordPress yourself.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 5.1.1 Patches Critical Vulnerability – you should update ASAP – WP Tavern has the details.
- How Brexit Will Affect WordPress Plugin and Theme Sellers – Brexit for WordPress’ers!
- A meditation on the open web – interesting video from Automattic.
- 7 Reasons to Host WordPress Yourself – a good one from Brad at Delicious Brains.
- Dark Mode WordPress Plugin Up for Adoption – want to adopt a plugin?
- The Block Directory, and a new type of plugin – Alex has a proposal for a Block Directory.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- Google Maps WordPress Guide: Add Maps With or Without a Plugin – learn how to add Google Maps to WordPress, either with a plugin or without.
- Complete Guide: How to Easily Create a WordPress Multilingual Site – learn how to go multilingual at Themify.
- How to Add Additional Custom Fields Into WooCommerce Checkout Page – Cloudways shows you how.
- Personal Branding Website: 5 Tips to Help You Nail Yours – 5 tips to help with branding a website.
- How to Disable WordPress Plugins From Loading on Specific Pages and Posts – Carlo shows you how.
RESOURCES & DEALS
- LaunchParty Review: Learn How to Build a WordPress Site – LaunchParty teaches you how to build a WordPress site with Elementor.
- The Best 40+ Creative WordPress Themes for Creative Businesses & Freelancers – check out the best themes for creatives and freelancers.
- Elementor Talks #24: How to Create a Successful WordPress Theme – interesting talk with Sujay from Brainstorm Force.