In the biggest news in a long time, WordPress 5.0, named “Bebo”, was officially released on December 6. As such, the new Gutenberg block editor is officially part of the WordPress core. Be careful about updating and consider using the official Classic Editor plugin if you’re not ready to move to Gutenberg.
This week was a bit quiet at WPLift. We have had some technical challenges this week that caused our CPU usage of our SiteGround server go ballistic. A combination of some good housekeeping on the (10 year old!) database plus the move to PHP 7.1 (from 5.6) cleared all of that up for us. That kept us busy this week…(I can’t see those 503’s anymore…). Hope you guys didn’t notice it too much and that Cloudflare was holding up the curtains as much as they could.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 5.0 “Bebo” Released, Lays A Foundation for the Platform’s Future – WP Tavern’s post on WordPress 5.0.
- WordPress 5.0 Targeted for December 6, Prompting Widespread Outcry Ahead of WordCamp US – many people weren’t happy about the short notice for the release date.
- Classic Editor Plugin Support Window – this is older news, but relevant with the release of WordPress 5.0. In case you missed it, the Classic Editor will be officially supported until at least the end of 2021.
- WordPress Products, Audited: The Case-study Of ‘Elementor Addons’ by LiveMesh – give this a read if you build WordPress products.
- Welcome WordPress 5.0, We’re 100% Ready For You – a look at how Elementor works with WordPress 5.0/Gutenberg.
- Botnet of Infected WordPress Sites Attacking WordPress Sites – Wordfence covers the issue.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- 20+ WordPress Gutenberg Editor Tips To Help You Work More Productively – in case you missed it, here are our 20+ tips to help you work more productively with the new Gutenberg editor.
- How to manage delivery drivers with WooCommerce – helpful for stores who do local deliveries.
- Multilingual SEO on WordPress: 7 Tips To Rank In All Languages – learn how to implement multilingual SEO.
- How to Use WordPress Icon Fonts the Right Way (Better Performance) – Kinsta shows you how.
RESOURCES & DEALS
- WPWeekly Episode 340 – Twas the Night Before 5.0 – Jeff Chandler and John James Jacoby interview Matt Mullenweg right before the release of WordPress 5.0.
- New Block Gallery Plugin Offers a Suite of Photo Gallery Blocks for Gutenberg – check this out if you work with photos.
- WordPress 5.0 Is Out! This Ultimate Cheat Sheet Has All You Need to Know About It – some more tips for working with Gutenberg.