Weekly WordPress News: WordPress 5.0.2 Brings Performance Improvements
One of the things that bugged a lot of people about the new WordPress Gutenberg block editor is how it slowed down for long content with lots of blocks. We’re happy to announce that on December 19, the core team released WordPress 5.0.2, which claims to make it 330% faster for a post with 200 blocks.
Beyond that, there are some good year end/WordCamp US recaps. And as usual, we’ve got plenty of tutorials and reviews to help you out.
We also got some great Christmas Deals for you:
- Elementor – 15% off
- Pixelgrade – 2 Restaurant Themes with a great discount: Rosa & Osteria
- OceanWP – 30% Off any core extension bundle plan
- A2Hosting – 63% off with code: BOXING
- 20% off @ WordPress.com, WooCommerce.com, and Jetpack
- WPEka – FLAT 50% off on their club membership
- CyberChimps Christmas Deals
On a side note, this will also be our last news post until the new year. Enjoy the rest of your 2018 and we’ll be back in your inboxes starting in 2019!
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 5.0.2 Maintenance Release – more details about the performance changes and other bug fixes.
- From Speed Dating To Relationships – My WordCamp US 2018 Recap – Vova/Freemius’ WordCamp US recap.
- Why Data Is Imperative When Developing WordPress Themes & Plugins – check this out if you make WordPress products.
- WordPress 5.0 Is Out and The World Didn’t End – Transparency Report #46 – another good transparency report from CodeinWP.
- Looking Back at an Incredible 2018 – Kinsta Year in Review – Kinsta’s 2018 retrospective, including an impressive 124% increase in revenue.
- Happy Developers, Happy Ecosystem: The Intangible Impact of WordPress’ Minimum PHP Version Bump – most people have no idea what PHP version they’re using but it really does make a difference.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- WordPress Gutenberg Tutorial: How To Use The New WordPress 5.0 Block Editor – learn how to use the new block editor.
- How to Make Twenty Nineteen’s Content Full-Width – Benjamin shows you how to do this with the new default theme.
- How to Make WordPress Page Cache Plugins Fly With Nginx – a good one from Delicious Brains.
- The Cheapskate’s Guide to WordPress Plugins – some call it cheapskate, I call it frugality.
- Using Block Templates with Gutenberg – a tutorial for devs from Bill Erickson.
- Complete Guide to WordPress Multilanguage Website Setup – learn how to create a multilingual site using Weglot.
- Create your WordPress multi language website – another Weglot guide if you want a different perspective.
RESOURCES & DEALS
- 35+ Best Free WordPress Photography Themes to Fuel Your Creativity – check out some of the best free photography themes.
- Jupiter X Theme Review: A Flexible Theme Powered By Elementor – our review of the new JupiterX theme, which has a really neat integration with Elementor.
- SendinBlue Plugin Review – Email and Marketing Automation Made Easy – we updated our SendinBlue review to reflect new changes to this email marketing tool.
- 3 WordPress Plugins that brings advance Container Blocks for Gutenberg – these help you create more complex layouts with various column structures.