Weekly WordPress News: WordPress 4.8 “Evans”
Hit that update button, folks! As of June 8th, WordPress 4.8 is officially out. For an overview of everything new, check out our look at WordPress 4.8’s new features. If you like widgets, you’re going to be pretty happy.
Syed Balkhi also expanded his collection of plugins with WP Mail SMTP. And there’s a neat article from WordFence on a bunch of WordPress security myths.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 4.8 “Evans” Release – WordPress 4.8 is officially out!
- WPForms Acquires WP Mail SMTP Plugin – another plugin joins Syed Balkhi’s collection.
- Jetpack 5.0: Spring Clean – Jetpack 5.0 just dropped, as well.
- Commenting on blog posts is dying – an interesting discussion at managewp.org. What do you think?
- Ten years of WordPress magazine themes: What’s next? – a look at how magazine themes have evolved…and where they’re going.
- 7 Popular WordPress Security Myths – a little late to the party, but a good read nonetheless.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- Creating Better, Faster And More Optimized WordPress Websites – Brian with a big guide on performance optimization.
- How to Start Using Sass with WordPress Through NPM Scripts – don’t read this unless you’re a developer.
- WordPress REST API versus Custom Request Handlers – another one for developers.
- A Guide to Sharing Your WordPress Images with Creative Commons – a helpful guide for safely sharing images.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- Analytify Review: Instantly Making Google Analytics Cool – check out Joe’s review of Analytify.
- Setka Editor Review: A Unique WordPress Post Builder – Setka Editor provides a unique new method for creating beautiful content with WordPress.
- WP Foto Vote Review: A Nifty User Generated Voting Contest Plugin – want to run a photo voting contest? This plugin is a great option.
- WooSquare – Easily Sync WooCommerce With Square Point of Sale – sync up your Square POS with WooCommerce.
- Episode 15: Morten Rand-Hendriksen – an interview with Morten Rand-Hendriksen.