WooCommerce is an ideal solution for setting up a functional online photography store. It gives you the flexibility to showcase your photography portfolio, allow clients to book you for their events, and sell physical and digital photo products.
In this article, we’ll run the rule over some of the best – free and premium – plugins to use on your WooCommerce photography website. By the time you’re done reading this post, you’ll have a better idea of how you can build your online photography store and deliver exceptional user experience to your clients and customers.
WooCommerce Protected Categories is the ideal plugin for selling client-specific products through your online photography store. It enables photographers to protect entire categories of photos on their site, either through password protection or restricting them to specific logged in users.
This plugin is perfect for a photographer who’s looking for an easy way to be able to sell client-specific photographs through their WooCommerce photography website. Above all, the implementation is incredibly simple.
You can use the WooCommerce Protected Categories plugin to create a separate hidden (or password protected) category for each of your clients’ photo albums. Once a client logs in to their account (or enters their password on the front-end), they’re automatically directed to the correct category. This enables you to showcase your work to your client before they make a purchase.
- Each hidden category of photo products is only accessible to clients with the correct password or user account.
- You can choose to assign multiple passwords to each category.
- Choose between password, role or user protection for each category.
The Feed Them Gallery plugin takes the heavy-lifting out of setting up galleries on your WooCommerce photography website. Its most noteworthy feature is that it lets you convert your galleries or individual photos into WooCommerce products in a single click. This will save you hours of manual product creation and working with CSV import plugins.
Article Continues Below
This plugin is a must-have for anyone who’s looking for a quick way to mass import photos to their WooCommerce store after, say, a photo shoot. It works beautifully with the WooCommerce Protected Categories and WooCommerce Product Table plugins, creating a complete solution for selling photos online.
- Bulk import photos and convert them into WooCommerce products.
- Lets you create variations for each product in bulk.
- Comes with four different gallery layouts.
Depending on how you choose to market and sell photos through your WooCommerce photography website, WooCommerce’s default category layout may not offer the best user experience to potential customers. As a result, you could miss out on sales. With the WooCommerce Product Table plugin, you can present your photographs in a searchable, sortable table layout with filters.
The WooCommerce Product Table plugin is ideal for displaying variation options for each photo product. Clients can select and buy photos directly from the table i.e. without having to click through to the single product page first.
- Create a one-page order form, where customers can tick photos and select quantities and variations directly form the table view.
- You can give your products (photos) custom dimensions.
- Clients and customers can open photos in a lightbox.
Developed by WooCommerce, the Product CSV Import Suite plugin enables you to import photos as products in bulk to your photography store from a CSV file. You can also create, upload, and update thousands of products at once using this plugin.
It also lets you export all of your product data (including products saved as drafts and product variations) into a CSV file if you’d like to keep backups.
- Supports complex products and custom data from WooCommerce Photography, Bookings, Subscriptions, and more.
- Lets you update standard items (such as price and product description) and custom data.
WooCommerce Photography helps photographers manage and sell their photographs and artwork through their WooCommerce photography website. It offers an intuitive photograph browsing and purchasing experience to your customers that is similar to the WooCommerce checkout process.
The only downside of using this plugin is that it requires your clients and customers to create their own user account to be able to browse your photography store and make purchases. For this reason, it might be simpler to use a plugin where you can give each client a password instead, which they can easily share with their friends, family, and guests.
- Comes with a batch photograph uploader that allows you to upload photos in bulk.
- Familiar front-end interface that’s similar to the WooCommerce checkout process.
#6: Soliloquy Slider
Although many websites are switching to static banners, slideshows are still highly relevant for photography websites. The Soliloquy Slider is a lightweight slider plugin for WordPress that enables photographers to add responsive sliders to their websites. As a result, you’ll be able to showcase multiple images on their homepage without taking up too much screen real estate.
- Comes with a drag and drop builder and pre-built slider templates.
- Optimized for SEO.
#7: Easy Watermark
Adding watermarks to your images is an easy, low-cost way of preventing people from using them without making a purchase first. The free Easy Watermark WordPress plugin allows you to add a text, image, or text and image watermark to your photos.
If you’re thinking of selling your photos as downloadable products, you could use the watermarked version of those images on your WooCommerce photography website (e.g. in the product table, if you’re using the WooCommerce Product Table plugin) and make the high-resolution, non-watermarked version of the image available as the digital download that customers get after they’ve purchased it. It’s a simple and effective way to prevent people from misusing your work.
- Automatically adds a watermark to images as you upload them to your website.
- Image watermark can be in .jpg, .png, or .gif file format.
As a professional photographer, you might want to publish your availability for photo shoots and other photography projects on your WooCommerce photography website. Doing so would allow clients to book you for their events.
With the WooCommerce Bookings plugin, you can make it easy for your clients to book your services, space, or equipment directly through your website. Furthermore, you have the option to define fixed times or let clients choose a time that works for them.
- Options to offer clients special pricing and discounts.
- Send out automated reminders via email.
- Manage bookings directly from your WooCommerce site.
#9: Instagram Feed
As a photographer, you’re probably already sharing photos on your Instagram to reach a wider audience. Why not showcase them on your WooCommerce photography website as part of your portfolio?
The free Instagram Feed WordPress plugin lets you display Instagram photos from non-private accounts on your website. Even more, you can configure the plugin to display photos imported from multiple Instagram accounts in a single feed or in multiple feeds. As a result, you’ll have repurposed your Instagram feed into a photography portfolio.
- Lets you add an Instagram follow button at the bottom of your feed to gain more followers.
- Fully customizable – lets you set image dimensions, number of columns, spacing, etc….
Setting up a WooCommerce photography website is incredibly easy. What matters is that you have the right mix of plugins to help you get started. If you’re looking to showcase your portfolio, sell photos, and book clients, you’ll need:
- WooCommerce Protected Categories to sell client-specific products.
- The WooCommerce Product Table to present your photos in a searchable, sortable table layout with filters that doubles as a one-page order form.
- Easy Watermark to prevent people from using your photos without purchasing them first.
- Publish your availability with WooCommerce Bookings and allow clients to book you through your website.
With these plugins, you’ll be well on your way to selling photos through your WooCommerce photography website in no time!
Finally, what are some of the features you’d like to offer through your WooCommerce photography website? Let us know by commenting below!