Weekly WordPress News: What Makes a Theme “Popular”?
This week, Alex Denning ponders the evolution and best practices of selling WordPress themes.
There was also some controversy involving gaming the “popular” designation on wordpress.org. It seems a new theme managed to impressively wrack up 10,000+ active installs despite only being downloaded 3,000 times. I guess people just wanted to use it on multiple projects!
There’s also a cool piece looking at WordPress use by some of the fastest growing companies out there.
And if you have dreams of launching a plugin and hitting it big, you should read about Weglot, who managed to pass €10,000 in revenue after only 13 months.
And we kicked off Halloween a bit early with a lot of great Halloween deals!
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- Lessons from failing to sell WordPress themes at the start of the gold rush – Alex Denning shares some thoughts on selling themes.
- Controversy Surrounding WordPress.org “Popular” Themes Exposes Weaknesses in the Algorithm – it appears that it might be possible to game the “popular” ranking on wordpress.org.
- 25 Things I Learnt as an Organizer of a WordCamp – worth a read if you’re interested in WordCamp.
- WordPress Use by Best Companies Inc. 5000 (2016) – a cool look at WordPress use by companies on the Inc. 5000.
- Weglot Multilingual WordPress Plugin Passes €10,000 in Monthly Revenue – in a little over a year, Weglot has already passed €10,000 in monthly revenue. That’s pretty impressive!
- The State of WordPress Publishers – Matt Cromwell’s thoughts on the state of WordPress publishers.
- WordPress eCommerce Usage Statistics: October 2016 – some cool WordPress eCommerce stats from SellwithWP.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- How to Build an SEO friendly Support Knowledge Base – knowledge bases are a great way to help people AND rank in the search engines.
- Safely Perform a WordPress Admin Redirect – Tom takes you through how to redirect the WordPress admin.
- Duplicator: An Easy Way to Back Up, Copy, or Clone Your WordPress Content – how to back up or move your WordPress site with the free version of the Duplicator plugin.
- How to Move a WordPress Site Easily – if you don’t want to use Duplicator, here’s another tutorial for BackupBuddy.
- Top 5 Underutilized Web Performance Tricks for WordPress – Brian gives 5 tips to speed up WordPress.
- A Deep Dive Into WordPress Automatic Updates – learn all about automatic WordPress updates.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- 7 Great Examples of Websites Using Elegant Themes’ Divi Theme – thinking of using the Divi theme? Check out these great examples of sites you can build with Divi.
- The Best News Themes Released for WordPress in 2016 – our picks for the best new WordPress themes of 2016 (so far!).
- 8 Time Saving WordPress Social Automation Plugins for Sharing Your Content – sharing your posts on social media doesn’t have to take a lot of time.
- WP GeoIP Country Redirect Review – Easy Geographic Redirection – if you need to redirect traffic based on country-of-origin, this plugin can help.
- A Bundle Of 15 Premium WordPress Responsive Themes for $29 – a nice offer at DealFuel for 15 premium themes for $29.
- WordPress Plugins to Manage User Roles Effectively – these plugins can help you wrangle your user roles.