Weekly WordPress News: Where is the WordPress traffic Going?
WPTavern reported this week that Envato have been experiencing a DDOS attack, they also said that a lot of theme authors have been experiencing a big drop ( 50-70% down) in sales with several forum threads dedicated to the subject. I have also seen a drop in affiliate referral income in the last couple of months with ThemeForest so that would match up with the sellers frustrations.
There is some speculation as to what the cause is, but checking their Alexa ranking you will see a big loss of traffic, now Alexa isn’t the most reliable source of measuring traffic but it can be helpful to compare sites in the same nice as the audience will be similar.
If you check any of the larger WordPress related websites you will see a similar pattern of traffic dropping, even WordPress.org has a near identical drop according to Alexa, the same with WPLift, WPTavern, WPExplorer, WPMayor and so on. I know traffic has dropped on WPLift the last few months as I have access to our Analytics reports. Some of this can be attributed to the summer slow-down which happens every year, less people online in the northern hemisphere always makes the summer periods slower.
As you can see from these, all WordPress related sites have similar traffic charts:
You might think this is something Alexa have changed in the way they record traffic but if you step outside of WordPress related sites, you will see completely different patterns.
With WordPress growing larger than ever with a 7% market share increase from January to July it cant be that WordPress is losing popularity so maybe its an Alexa problem, maybe there are more sites related to WordPress so the traffic is being spread more thinly? There are certainly more options than ever for buying themes with new theme shops appearing daily so consumers have more avenues for buying which could explain the Themeforest drop.
If anyone has any insight into this, share your thoughts in the comments.
Here is the best WordPress content from the last 7 days, have a great weekend!
WordPress News and Articles
- Envato Targeted by DDoS Attack, WordPress Theme Authors Report Major Decline in Sales – Authors reporting a big decline in revenue.
- WP Rocket is 2 Years Old: Reports and Feedback – Roundup of WP Rocket’s 2nd year in business, income at $354k
- Just launched – Matt talks about the launch of his new image editing plugin.
- Automattic’s Childish Domain Hijacking Against Chris Pearson – Good overview by Kevin Muldoon of Automattic’s disappointing purchase of thesis.com
- How Real Businesses Are Making Very Real Money Using WordPress – Discussion of business around WordPress with numbers.
- We spent $920.26 on twitter ads for the dumbest ad ever, and It worked. – Pagely shows some amusing Twitter ads they created.
- A Guide to Optimizing Your Plugin’s WordPress.org Page (In 6 Steps) – How to make an effective plugin listing.
- BuddyBoss Expands Into LMS Market – Using BuddyPress as an LMS is now easier with these plugin integrations.
- Theme Translations and Language Packs are Coming to WordPress.org – Language packs will be available soon in the directory.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Populate a Gravity Forms Drop Down Field with A Custom Post Type – List posts from a custom post type in a Gravity forms drop-down.
- Making your WordPress Plugins Developer Friendly – Using actions and filters.
- Easy Digital Downloads: Email Settings, Part 1 – Part 1 of the Tuts+ guide to EDD.
- Fast WordPress Customizer Options with Kirki – Using Kirki to create your Customizer options.
- Toolbox of the Smart WordPress Developer: Kirki – More about using Kirki.
- WP-CLI Guide: Connect to WordPress via SSH Intro – Controlling WordPress via SSH.
- How to Effectively Market Your Next WordPress Blog Post on Twitter and Facebook – Tips for promoting your blog posts.
Resources & Freebies
- MainWP: Free Plugin to Manage Multiple WordPress Sites from One Location – I reviewed a great plugin for managing all your WP sites.
- Add Custom Widgets to your WordPress Theme with the Free Ultimate Widgets Plugin – Free and Premium plugin for adding custom Widgets.
- 55 Best Free and Responsive WordPress Themes – Big list of free responsive themes.
- Proper Lite: A Free and Flexible WordPress Theme for Creatives – Nice free theme for creatives.