WordPress 4.1 has just been released so you can now upgrade to this new version which has some nice new features, my personal favourite is the new distraction-free writing option which I'm using to write this post. Clicking a button will remove the side menus and leave you with a nice clean area to compose your post, here's a screen shot of it in action while I'm writing this post:
It also includes the new default Twenty Fifteen theme which I mentioned last week - Its a lovely looking clean theme with some nice customization options, this theme brings the focus back to normal blogging with a traditional layout, sidebar and great typography:
Have a read of Brian's thorough roundup of this new version of WordPress here.
The holiday season is now upon us and this is the last news before Christmas so I want to wish all our readers Happy Holidays - Hope you enjoy a nice bit of time off with your family and friends - we will have one more post on Monday before I take a little time off to relax - 2014 has been a great year for me and hope it has for everyone else as well. I have some exciting plans as always for January 2015 - A new site launch lined up related to WordPress, a product re-brand, a website redesign and a new theme ready to go on ThemeFurnace. I also started work on something new for WPLift - it's at the design stage at the moment but should be launching early 2015 - keep an eye out for teasers over the next few weeks ;)
On with the news ...
WordPress News and Articles
- CSSIgniter Competition: Win 3 Developer Accounts worth $79 Each - We are holding a competition for CSSIgniter.
- WordPress is an Army - Brian's thoughts on lists of "Top" WordPress people, I tend to agree.
- WordPress Conferences and Events in 2015 You Won’t Want to Miss - Envato have provided a list of WP events for 2015.
- Going Beyond the WordPress Plugin Repository - Some options for finding WordPress plugins.
- 100,000+ WordPress Sites Compromised Using the Slider Revolution Security Vulnerability - Another security problem, this time for users of Slider Revolution - update immediately.
- Goal Setting For WordPress Web Designers - It always helps to have something you are working towards, check out this post on goal-setting.
- The Evolution of WordPress in 2014 and Beyond - The year in WordPress core updates and what's to come.
- When To Start Contributing To WordPress - Tom discusses contributing back to WordPress.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Adding Contextual Help to the WordPress Admin Panel - Good tutorial on adding help to your WP admin area.
- How to Publish Great Looking Testimonials on Your WordPress Website - Testimonials are proven to increase conversions, here's how to add them to your site.
- How to: Prevent Bruteforce Login Attacks on Your WordPress Installation - I discuss some ways to beat brute-force hackers.
- The Beginner’s Guide to WordPress Taxonomies: A Custom Plugin - Get to grips with Custom Taxonomies.
- Adding Action Hooks to Your WordPress Theme Framework - Tutorial on using action Hooks.
Resources & Freebies
- Awesome Support - A free support ticket plugin for WordPress.
- WooCommerce and the 2015 EU VAT Changes to Digital Goods - Woo have released a plugin to help with the burden of new European VAT rules ( thanks Amazon! )
- KeyCDN Review: An Easy Way to Improve WordPress Site Speed and Loading Times - Joe reviewed a new CDN service.
- 7 Free WordPress Plugins to Make Quick Work of Tedious Tasks - Roundup of some handy time-saving plugins.