Weekly WordPress News: Virtual Reality and a New WordPress.org Homepage
This week, we got news that the WordPress.org homepage is getting a facelift sometime in the near future. The change is primarily aimed at marketing better to new users.
There was also big news for fans of virtual reality – all WordPress.com sites now support VR and 360 degree content. This functionality will likely be making its way to Jetpack sometime soon.
Freemius also put together a nice look at Code Canyon, similar to their dive into Theme Forest that we previously featured.
We also have some great roundups and reviews that are worth checking out.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- The WordPress.org Homepage is Getting a Redesign – the new design will focus on better marketing towards new users.
- Introducing VR and 360° Content for All WordPress.com Sites – all wordpress.com sites now support VR and 360 degree media. Coming soon to Jetpack, too!
- CodeCanyon By The Numbers – Freemius takes a deep look at Code Canyon.
- A quick interview with Syed Balkhi – check out CSS Igniter’s quick interview with Syed of WP Beginner.
- Transparency Report #22 – The Lessons From the CodeinWP/ThemeIsle Team – CodeinWP’s transparency reports are always worth a read.
- Overview of the WordPress Community in 2016 – a nice summary of everything that happened in 2016.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- How to Block Language Spam in Google Analytics and WordPress – while not specific to WordPress, it’s a major issue affecting all webmasters.
- What is WP-CLI? And Why You Probably Want It – learn all about this odd-looking acronym.
- How to Lazy Load WordPress Images and Comments – learn how to add lazy loading to WordPress.
- How to Blog from Your iPhone (without typing) – an interesting idea for composing WordPress posts.
- A Guide to WordPress Theme Frameworks (And Why You Should Use Them) – learn about WordPress theme frameworks and their potential benefits.
- How to Keep Your Static Site Running While Building a New WordPress Site – a good guide for a specific need.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- 40+ Best Premium WooCommerce Themes of 2016 – the best premium WooCommerce themes of the year.
- WPForms Review – Drag and Drop WordPress Form Builder – check out our review of WPForms, an intuitive drag and drop form builder.
- SlideDeck Review – Powerful Sliders With Social Media and Animation – check out our review of SlideDeck, a great slider plugin with lots of advanced features.
- The small business of WordPress plugin add-ons – Matt Report Episode 8 discusses plugin add-ons with Naomi Bush of Gravity Plus.
- The Best A/B Testing Plugins for WordPress to Split Test Your Site – the best plugins to help you A/B test WordPress.
- The Best WordPress Landing Page Plugins to Market More Effectively – the best-dedicated landing page builders for WordPress.