Weekly WordPress News: New Theme Release & Website Redesigns
This was my first week back after New Year and the first day or so was quite a struggle – I was used to eating much food and playing many video games ( Dragon Age: Inquisition mainly!) on the sofa over the Christmas break but I’m back in the swing of things now.
One thing I wanted to get done this week was launch a new theme on ThemeFurnace which which did yesterday, most of the theme was completed in December so it was mainly tidying it up and testing this week.
Artifact is our new grid-based photography theme, I really like this design – it’s simple and clean with no bloated features like homepage sliders, has a short intro paragraph section to tell readers about yourself and then it’s straight into the work. Photographers, Artists and Designers can show off their visual work in a responsive grid with hover info about the piece and then click through to a neat single-view page.
We are offering 50% off all ThemeFurnace memberships until Monday 12th January, just use code: JANUARY
As always, we are submitting a free version of this theme to the directory today as well so you can also wait for that if you would like to try it out.
WordPress News and Articles
- A new look and a new domain – Brian has redesigned Poststatus and moved to a .com, lovely clean blog layout – good work!
- Theme Reviews as a Service – Emil Uzelac has launched a new business which will review your WordPress theme and provide feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Kim Parsell, Affectionately Known as #wpmom Passes Away – Sadly a member of our WordPress community passed away recently.
- Changes to EU VAT Legislation: How It Impacts WordPress Users – Read how to use WordPress to comply with this terrible new law for small businesses.
- WordPress StackExchange Thrives in 2014 with 17 Million Page Views and 14K New Question – Great milestones for this very handy WordPress resource.
- Introducing Pippin’s Plugins version 3.0 – Pippin’s Plugins also got a redesign this week, looks a lot more user-friendly and modern.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Plugin Authors: How to Avoid Download Prompts Associated with Screenshots on the WordPress Plugin Directory
- Options for 301 Redirects in WordPress – Guide to using the htaccess file in WordPress.
- Installing and Using PHPMyAdmin with WordPress – PHPMyAdmin is awesome, learn how to use it with this guide.
- Things You Should Separate From Your Theme – Short piece on what shouldn’t be included in theme files.
- How To Create A WordPress Child Theme — Guide to creating a child theme.
Resources & Freebies
- Artifact Theme Launch – My latest theme released at ThemeFurnace, take a look!
- Top 101 Blogs About WordPress and Their Most Popular Posts – Solid list of WP blogs, thanks for listing us in at number 10!
- A Handy Guide To Creating & Using The Parallax Effect Within WordPress – Plugins and advice for using Parallax in WordPress.