New WordPress and Jetpack releases patch some important security vulnerabilities. Make sure you upgrade both to keep your site safe.
WordCamp USA also put out a call for speakers. If you want to share your WordPress expertise, now's the time to apply.
And finally, there are two major contests going on - one from yours truly and CyberChimps, and one from AWP and loads of other sponsors.
Let's get to the rest of the news...
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 4.5.3 Maintenance and Security Release - WordPress 4.5.3 got released - it fixes seven important security issues. You should upgrade!
- WordCamp US Call for Speakers - Think you have what it takes to present at WordCamp US? Applications are open.
- WP REST API: is this where we’re headed? - an interesting read about the REST API
- Jetpack 4.0.4 Released, Patches 3 Security Vulnerabilities - Jetpack 4.0.4 is also out - like the new WordPress release, it fixes some security vulnerabilities.
- Striking a Nerve and The Future of WordPress as a Business WPCP: 102 - add some multimedia with this podcast from Kim Doyal.
- BuddyPress 2.6 – “Espejo” - BuddyPress 2.6 is out - new features include custom front pages and APIs.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- How to add Structured data in Divi theme without any plugin - Ahmed Kaludi shows you how to add structured data to Divi.
- Boost Your Business with Content Lockers (and how to add them to WordPress) - learn how to use content lockers to boost your social shares, revenue, or email list.
- How to Eliminate Render Blocking Resources - Kinsta teaches you how to eliminate render blocking resources and speed up your site.
- Rob Walling on How to Create Your First Software Product (Even if You Can’t Code!) - a good read if you're interested in launching a WordPress product (though it's not specific to WordPress).
- Course: The Complete Guide to Creating WordPress Widgets and Widget Areas - learn everything about creating widgets and widget areas.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- CyberChimps Competition: Win 1 year’s access to CyberChimps Club - CyberChimps has teamed up with WPLift to give away a year's access. Enter before it's too late!
- AWP 20K Members — Legendary WordPress Giveaway (Worth $40,000+) - AWP is running a pretty amazing giveaway with tons of prizes from various sponsors.
- “Beaver Builder Is For Everyone”, Says Robby McCullough - an interview with Robby McCullough of Beaver Builder.
- Addon Creator for Visual Composer Review: Ruler of All Add-ons? - our review of Addon Creator for Visual Composer
- 8 Quick Ways to Improve the UX of the WordPress Dashboard - make your WordPress dashboard a little more welcoming!
- Meta Box Review – Easily Add Custom Fields to Plugins and Themes - if you're a dev or work with custom fields, you may want to check out our review of Meta Box.