This week we have been finishing off our first WooCommerce theme for ThemeFurnace, I have become a big fan of the plugin since using it on a live site which has been doing very well – bringing in constant sales of a physical product. WooCommerce has been brilliant – very easy to use and every feature I have needed there has been a plugin for it. Our aim with this theme has been to create a very clean theme which is fast-loading and which you can use as it is or very easily tweak it for your branding, we noticed a lot of WooCommerce themes were bloated with huge sliders and effects and were hard to configure.
Our theme aims to change that – you should be able to have a nice looking ecommerce site up and running very quickly – we are also developing a free version which will be in the directory soon. Here is a preview of the theme ..
I wanted to draw your attention to an awesome bundle available at the moment. CreativeMarket is an excellent website for buying and selling design-based items such as WordPress themes, graphics, effects and so on. It has really come on since its launch and features loads of really high quality resources. They are currently offering a huge bundle where you can get over 1oo items for $39 ( the full price would be over $1600 if purchased separately). This is their second bundle and have become instant purchases for me so check it out, it features some themes from Themezilla, Anariel Design and Pixel Union. There also loads of bang up to date graphic effects, textures, badges and icons to use in your designs.
WordPress News and Articles
- The Missing Component in Your WordPress Security Strategy – Audit Logs – A guest post on WPLift talks about the importance of monitoring your WordPress site and keeping logs in case of hacking attempts.
- LoopConf: A new WordPress conference that’s only for developers – Read about this new WordPress conference over at PostStatus.
- Protecting Your Premium Plugins from Unauthorised Reselling – Jean Galea talks about the options for protecting your plugins from resellers.
- Is the Death of Niche Themes in WordPress Nigh? – This post says that niche themes are no longer needed, I disagree – there is absolutely a need for targetted niche themes.
- Twenty Fifteen is in /trunk! – You can now download and test out the latest default WP theme, remember to report any bugs you find.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How to Move Your WordPress Site to Microsoft Azure: Step by Step Guide – I talk you through the process of moving an existing WordPress installation over to Microsoft’s cloud hosting service Azure.
- Semplice For WordPress Review – WPScope reviews Semplice, the new portfolio building site based on WordPress.
- Programmatically Deactivate WordPress Widgets – Here’s how to deactivate widgets within WordPress.
- Database Changes to Improve WordPress Performance – Some tips to improve WP performance by tweaking the database.
- How To Use WP-CLI To Manage Your WordPress Website – I just installed this on my server, manage WordPress via SSH with WP-CLI
- How To Get More WordPress Plugin Reviews – Rhys Wynne offers some suggestions to gain more user reviews for your plugins.
- Working with Taxonomies Using the JSON REST API – A good tutorial for making use of the JSON REST API in WordPress.
- Team Management Within The WordPress Dashboard – Tips for managing teams using WordPress.
- Utilizing WordPress Shortcodes and Custom Fields for Footnotes – How to add footnotes in WordPress.
Resources & Freebies
- Build a Content Heavy News Website with WordPress & NewsCore – Joe reviews an excellent theme for creating magazine and news style websites.
- CleanTalk: Cloud-Based Anti-Spam Plugin for WordPress, More Effective than Akismet? – I started using a new anti-spam plugin here on WPLift, it has been very effective so far.