Weekly WordPress News: A Better Planet Updated, Matt Interviews, WPHunt & More
Last week I updated A Better Planet, a site I created to mashup all the best WordPress news and blog feeds as alternative to the Planet WordPress feed which is outdated. You can follow the master feed on Twitter, Add a plugin to get the news in your WordPress dashboard or just grab the main RSS feed. There were some sources that were dead so I removed them and I added some good new feeds, go check it out.
One source I added was a new site called WPHunt, it’s like a WordPress version of ProductHunt ( another good site ), created by Dev7Studios. I like the clean design and it has some good sources so you should add that to your daily reads if you want to keep up on more WordPress news.
Finally there were a couple of interviews with Matt released this week on the Tim Ferris podcast and the Matt Report podcast. On the Tim Ferris podcast e talks about Polyphasic sleep and using a Colemak keyboard.
Here is the rest of the news from the last 7 days, have a good weekend everyone!
WordPress News and Articles
- A Better Planet Updated: Fresh WordPress News in Your Dashboard – New sources added and old ones removed from our WP news plugin.
- Matt Mullenweg on Polyphasic Sleep, Tequila, and Building Billion-Dollar Companies – Matt was interviewed on the Tim Ferriss Podcast.
- Interview with Matt Mullenweg – And again on the Matt Report.
- The WordPress REST API – Read Brian’s introduction to this exciting feature being developed.
- WP Rocket Grows From $0 to $35K in Monthly Revenue – Love hearing about WP business successes.
- A Look Back at 16 Automattic Acquisitions Since 2007 – Overview of Autommatic’s aquisitions.
- Customizer Theme Switcher Officially Proposed for WordPress 4.2 – Browsing and activating themes from the Customizer? Could be coming soon.
- WPHunt – A new site with user submissions for WordPress news and products.
- The GPL and assumptions of automatic inheritance – Some needed clarification about using the GPL.
- WordPress-related business brands: protect and do no harm – Information about brand’s Trademarks.
- SiteGround Sponsors a Full-Time Contributor to WordPress Core – Bravo Siteground.
- WordPress Customer Service Lessons Learned – Advice for providing good customer support.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How To: Gain a Detailed Insight into Mobile Visitors with Netbiscuits Analytics – A guide to mobile Analytics using Netbiscuits.
- Guide: How to Optimize Your WordPress Themes for Xbox One – How to optimize websites for couch surfers using the Xbox One.
- Combining Underscores With Bootstrap to Create a Theme Framework – Using Bootstrap with the Underscores theme.
- The Beginners Guide to WooCommerce: Introduction – Guide to using WooCommerce.
- How to Optimize Themes for Performance – Some tips to speed up your WP themes.
- 10 WordPress SEO Questions That Took Me 10 Years To Answer – Some SEO tips for WordPress users.
- Brand Your Freemium WordPress Plugin Without Ruining the User Experience – Some examples and how to create a welcome banner for your free plugin.
Resources & Freebies
- 20 Blank WordPress Starter Themes and Frameworks 2015 – An update to our popular blank themes post from last year with some new additions.
- The WPLift Roundup of the Best Free WordPress Themes February 2015 – Our monthly free theme roundup.
- Where are the Simple and Clean WooCommerce Themes with no “Feature Bloat” ? – A look at some clean WooCommerce themes for fast loading sites.