This is the third week in a row now where I have had to mention security, please make sure your sites are up to date with version 4.2.2.
OptinMonster announced this week that they are moving to a SAAS model, a really great decision that opens up their market to millions more people who don’t use WordPress. Thomas explains in his post that the plan was to be a SAAS model from the start but it didn’t take off but then inquiries about non-WordPress versions increased “We noticed an unnerving trend of turning away potential customers because our product could not be used on non-WordPress sites. As the popularity of OptinMonster grew, so did our number of inquiries about non-WordPress platforms.”
It was announced the other week that all themes in the WordPress directory have to use the Customizer from now on, its a move that I agree with – we moved away from custom options panels over a year ago at ThemeFurnace to focus on the Customizer. The announcement has sparked a lot of debate with 175 comments on that WPTavern article and theme providers experiencing growing pains at the new requirement. Here are a couple of resources to help you get to grips with it : What’s new with the Customizer and Theme Options – The Customizer API.
WordPress News and Articles
- WordPress 4.2.2 Security and Maintenance Release – Another security update, you know what to do.
- OSTraining Competition: Win 1 of 5 Yearly Memberships Valued at $250 Each – Win some professional training in our current competition.
- OptinMonster goes SaaS – In effort to cater for more hosting environments and non-WordPress platforms.
- The Journey from WordPress to Everything Else with OptinMonster – More from Thomas Griffin on the move to SAAS.
- How We Increased our WordPress Plugin’s 5-Star Reviews by 700% – Tips for improving your plugin reviews.
- ManageWP Orion Developer Diary #3: Bulletproof Backup Solution – ManageWP have launched a site backup solution.
- The Story of ThemeIsle – What it Takes to Build a Successful Premium Theme Shop.
- Loop Conf – Is currently ongoing, in Vegas, baby.
- Why WordPress is the Ultimate Platform for the Self-Employed – But we already knew this didn’t we ;)
- Dan Griffiths Launches $175K Crowdfunding Campaign to Build HostPress – Cool IndieGoGo campaign to use WordPress for managing hosting.
- Themekraft’s Difficult Experience Switching to the WordPress Theme Customizer – Growing pains moving from a control panel to the Customizer.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How to create better, more accessible WordPress themes – Great article on how to make your themes more accessible.
- Accessibility, Part 1: Introduction – Another tutorial series about acessibility.
- Make Your Own Hello Bar Alternative with MailChimp Integration in WordPress – Create your own Hello bar tutorial.
- Adding a Microblog within Your WordPress Blog – Create a microblog section within your main blog.
- Theme Options – The Customizer API – Developers guide to the Customizer API.
- Whats new with the customizer – Otto talks about some new features available.
- Using Page Templates in Your WordPress Theme – How to add custom page templates to your themes.
Resources & Freebies
- The WPLift Roundup of the Best Free WordPress Themes May 2015 – Our free themes of the month roundup, some cracking themes this month.
- Toivo Theme Review: A Beautiful Free WordPress Theme for Bloggers & Businesses – Detailed review of a great accessible free theme.
- 40 of the Best Social Media Analytics Tools for WordPress Users – Solid roundup of Analytics tools.
- 15 Free Resources To Help You Become a Smarter WordPress Developer – Check it out if you want to develop themes for the Layers plugin.
- How To Manage Your Time Like A Pro: Tools For Web Designers – Tools and Apps for time management.