Weekly WordPress News: New Plugin Guidelines and Google AMP Woes
In this week’s news, the WordPress Plugin Team published some revamped guidelines for the wordpress.org plugin directory.
We also have a discussion about whether or not Google AMP is beneficial for publishers (and whether or not publishers even have a choice about the matter).
There’s also a great post from The WP Crowd about whether to use your child theme or a custom plugin when adding functionality.
Finally, you should spend about five minutes to fill out the newly released 2016 WordPress User Survey.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress Plugin Team Publishes Revamped Guidelines for Plugin Directory – revised guidelines for the plugin directory are out now.
- Is Google AMP a Win for WordPress? Some Publishers Earn 50 Percent Less Money – Google is pushing AMP, but is that a good thing for publishers?
- This Is Why WordPress Product Owners Need to Capture User Email from Day 1 – most businesses should collect emails from day 1, but Kobe discusses why that’s especially true for WordPress product owners.
- Time For Your WP Checkup – you can give your site a free checkup with WPMU DEV’s new tool.
- Take the 2016 WordPress User Survey – share your thoughts in the 2016 WordPress User Survey!
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- WordPress hacked? – 7 essential steps to fully restore your website – some tips for getting back a hacked WordPress site.
- How To Create Incremental Backups For Free With WP Time Capsule – keep your data safe!
- WordPress Image Optimisation – Website Maintenance Tip – some tips for image optimization on WordPress.
- Moving a WordPress Site Into a Multisite Network – a helpful guide to manually moving a WordPress site into a multi-site install.
- How To Use Pods For Simple & More Effective Custom Post Types – a guide to using the Pods plugin for custom post types.
- The Custom Plugin Vs. The Child Theme Functions – should you use your child theme’s functions.php file or a custom plugin?
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- Six Alternatives to WordPress Default Search Functionality – six ways you can improve the default WordPress search.
- 4 Online WordPress Conferences To Attend From Your Couch – get the knowledge of WordPress conferences without leaving your couch! You’ll miss out on the networking, though.
- 27 Best Video Player Plugins for WordPress – if you love video, you’ll love these 27 video player plugins.
- Create Images for Social Media: 17 Best Tools for Every Type of Social Media Image – a variety of tools you can use to create images for your site and social media.
- Total Theme: Another Look at Why This Theme Dominates the Multipurpose Themes – give the Total Theme a look.
- S4 E2: Robby McCullough of Beaver Builder – Robby of Beaver Builder is on Matt Report.
- Warm Up an Email List – Top Tips to Keep People Interested in Your List – some tips to keep your list running well.