Weekly WordPress News: Jumpstarter, Theme Review Meeting, WP Job Manager Acquired
An interesting site I recently discovered is Jumpstarter which aims to turn WordPress themes into SAAS apps, a user can signup and pick a theme which is then automatically installed and hosted for them for a monthly fee. It’s an interesting idea, users don’t have to worry about purchasing hosting, installing WordPress and then a theme – they simply signup for their theme of choice and in a couple of clicks its up and running for them.
We at ThemeFurnace decided to offer one of our themes on there to see how it does, we added our Artifact theme which users can purchase for $12 per month and they can also try out a 2 day trial of it for free.
Theme Review Meeting
Last week in the news we covered the theme reviews team’s apparent crackdown on themes which include custom widgets for displaying content blocks. There was a lot of discussion revolving around this as some of most popular themes use these for things like displaying team member profiles, featured content widgets and so on. The review team held a meeting and the outcome was the following are allowed :
- Site footer text
- Call-to-Action (CTA) buttons/widgets
- One-off descriptive content blocks (about us/profile/etc.)
- Custom presentation of existing user data, with trivial content additions such as a widget/content block with a static page link, custom icon, custom title/description)
Although they did not reach an agreement for other types of content such as testimonials, services etc, saying “No consensus was reached regarding repeatable-field content (testimonials, services, team members, etc.). We will have a follow-up blog post to discuss this type of content specifically.” This is something I think they need to get cleared up as soon as possible so I will keep an eye out for the follow up blog post.
WP Job Manager Acquired by Automattic
Another piece of news which caught my eye this week was the fact that Automattic have acquired the WP Job Manager plugin from Mike Jolley. The reason is he the WooCommerce lead developer which they acquired the week before and they have a “No side projects” rule for employees. It looks like the plugin was doing extremely well for Mike, bringing in monthly revenues of $xx,xxx which is amazing for a one-man plugin, no official statement on the price but Brian speculates the deal could be worth around half a million dollars which is great result for Mike.
Have a great weekend everyone, let’s get on with the news!
WordPress News and Articles
- WP Rocket Review: Premium WordPress Cache Plugin – How does it stack up ?
- WordPress Competition – Win x3 Developer Accounts at CSSIgniter worth $79 Each.
- Theme Review Team Meeting Notes 6/2/2015 – Discussion around what content creation is allowed in WordPress themes.
- Automattic to acquire WP Job Manager from Mike Jolley – Automattic acquires another WordPress product as part of their WooCommerce deal.
- Menu Customizer Officially Proposed for Merge Into WordPress 4.3 – A proposal to move WordPress menu creation into the Customizer.
- This is why we can’t have nice things! – Chris Lema’s thoughts in the proposal to move WordPress menus to the Customizer, I agree with him.
- Launching Pro Plugin Directory – Steven Gliebe has launched a directory for premium WordPress plugins.
- Jumpstarter Launches – Sell your WordPress themes in a SAAS environment ( we just added our Artifact theme there ).
- Discover Your Top Selling Add-Ons Without Wasting Development Time – An idea to find out which add-ons will be successful without actually building them.
- BuddyPress 2.3 “Livio” Released – Features the New BP Attachments API
Tutorials and How-Tos
- inSite Review – Build Custom Recipes to Trigger Change On Your WordPress Website.
- How To Use Autoloading And A Plugin Container In WordPress Plugins – The steps to creating a plugin and investigate the use of autoloading and a plugin container.
- The Tuts+ Guide to Template Tags: Introduction – How to use Template tags in your WordPress themes.
- Style Posts by Category on Your Main Blog Page – Add custom styling to posts based on category.
- Building an App Image to Resell at Digital Ocean – Earn money selling an app image for use with Digital Ocean hosting.
Resources & Freebies
- All Official Easy Digital Downloads Themes are Now 100% Free – Download free Easy Digital Downloads themes.
- Plugin Reviews Plugin – Display your WordPress.org reviews on your own website with this free plugin.