It’s nearly the end of January so I thought I would have a look back at this month, January is always quite a strange month for me: The first week is a little bit of a struggle getting back into the habit of working hard after a relaxing Christmas period so I make sure that I start how I mean to go on. That means, getting up and starting work early, I start my day at 6.30am and try to get as much work done as I can before my daughter gets up so I can spend a little time with her then. I map out my goals for the year in that first week also with some short-term goals, new project ideas, financial goals for different businesses and also personal goals ( health and fitness mainly ).
Because we promote many different companies via affiliate links on WPLift I get a window into other people’s businesses also, I see sales increases and decreases – The start of January sees a lot of sales as people are starting up new projects and websites, this also corresponds with ThemeFurnace, we always see a nice bump in January after a slower December. I also get to see things that don’t work for businesses, for example one recent site put up a redesigned website and I have seen sales decrease for them.
January saw us release a new theme on ThemeFurnace, we almost made it two but the next one will have to wait till early February now as always, things take a little longer than expected. Content on WPLift got off to a good start with some posts that gained good traction and there seemed to be a Google search update over the weekend which helped our traffic with a nice boost. I have one new site in the works which was planned last year, excited about that one – as always it’s WordPress related but branching out into a new area for me. I also have another eCommerce business which did amazing over Christmas, January has continued to be good also and we took on our first employee – the site runs on WooCommerce so I’m going to be doing a post about that soon as well.
How about ? How did January go for you – did you set any goals for the year ? Let us know in the comments.
Let’s look forward to a great February, here is the WordPress news from the last 7 days.
WordPress News and Articles
- 6 Tips for eCommerce Websites to Increase Sales & Improve Customer Retention – A guest post aimed at eCommerce store owners to help improve conversions and retain customers.
- Let’s Grow: Introducing the Post Status Membership Club – Brian launched his membership club for Poststatus.
- WooCommerce is going after photography – WooCommerce launched a new plugin for photographers to sell their photos.
- The Timeless WordPress Theme Design – Design moves on, so does WordPress theming – looking back at Kubrick now makes that obvious!
- WordPress–12 years since the beginning – Mike Little, Co-Creator of WordPress reflects on the 12 years since it was forked from b2/cafelog.
- A Look At The Upcoming WordPress Front-End Editor -ElegantThemes looks at the upcoming front-end editor.
- Legal checks when building a content-driven WordPress website – Some advice so you don’t fall foul of the law with your WP content.
- WordPress Services and My Pricing Strategy – Pricing advice for WordPress freelancers.
- Negative SEO: Destroying Businesses One Spammy Backlink at a Time – WPSitecare was hit with a negative SEO campaign by a competitor.
- WordPress Experts You Should Know More – Honored to be included in this list. Thanks.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How To: Create Internal Linking Structures in WordPress to Improve Your On-Site SEO – How to improve internal linking with WordPress.
- Guide: Optimizing Your WordPress Themes for Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer – My guide to optimizing your themes for Windows 8.1 and IE.
- Make it Easy for Users to Setup Your Themes: Demo Content, Importer, Plugin & Widget Setup – Aimed at theme developers, how to improve your theme setup for customers.
- How to Effectively Curate Content for Your WordPress Blog – Some tips for sourcing, collecting and organizing content.
- Modifying WordPress to Allow website Authors to choose the Related Posts – Good tutorial to allow authors to choose related content.
- How to Use SSL and HTTPS with WordPress – WPMUDev guide to using SSL with WordPress.
- Hosting a WordPress Website on Google App Engine – A guide to using the Google App Engine with WordPress.
- Writing Documentation for Your WordPress Theme Framework – Options for creating solid documentation for your WordPress theme.
Resources & Freebies
- Export Your WordPress eCommerce Products to Multiple Search Engines & Marketplaces – A great plugin for eCommerce stores to increase your presence on other platforms.
- CMS Commander Lets you Manage Multiple WordPress Sites from One Central Location – I reviwed a SAAS platform for managing lots of WordPress installations.
- MotoPress Content Editor Plugin Offers Themes Built on Cherry Framework – A look at the new themes offered by MotoPress.
- Even More Essential Plugins for WordPress Theme Development – Good list of plugins to help with theme development.