This week there was some more GPL-related drama, with the news that someone had forked ElegantTheme’s Bloom plugin and added it to the official WordPress directory. The person responsible for the forking, delivered their side of the story about the fork here. While some people consider it a shady move to release a premium product for free, it seemed to be within the GPL license rules, but was later removed from the official repository and a clarification was made about Forks and Copies. It would seem the forked plugin was too similar to the original plugin, it remains available from their website only.
We also got a look at the new WordPress default theme, Twenty Sixteen, is a nice clean blogging theme. It doesn’t seem a huge departure from Twenty Fifteen but I like Twenty Fifteen – the layout looks good and it uses simple clean Typography.
Here’s the news from the last 7 days – have a good weekend!
WordPress News and Articles
- Request: Alex King Rememberances – Very sad news, Alex King is currently fighting cancer and has requested anyone who has dealt with him in the past to get in contact so he can put together some information for his daughter.
- How I Eliminated Spam on WPLift Using CleanTalk – a Cloud-Based Anti-Spam WordPress Plugin which does a great job.
- ElegantTheme’s Bloom Plugin was forked and added to the WordPress directory – Discussion of the GPL and ethics ensues.
- Why I Believe In Rapidology & The Spirit of The GPL (i.e. in Defense of Rapidology) – Post by Clay Collins, who forked the plugin.
- Forks and Copies – Some clarification regarding forks in the WordPress directory.
- The GPL, Partnerships & Paying It In All Directions – Ahh, some GPL niceness ;)
- Launching a product in a crowded WordPress market – Coen Jacobs on why he entered a crowded market.
- Step Up Your Game: How to Work With Successful WordPress Clients – Guest post on the Tavern about working with Clients.
- From 0 to 4,000 – How CodeinWP Grew their Email List, Our Stats, Tools, Opt-in Forms
- Selling Commercial WordPress Themes, A Real Life Story – Good post about the realities of selling themes for a living.
- The Unexpected – Jason Schuller’s thoughts after selling his company, Press75.
- A History of Automattic’s Acquisitions (From Gravatar to WooThemes) – Automattic buys things.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How to Create Online Documentation for Your Products with WordPress – Great plugin for creating documentation.
- How to Fix – “Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget is deprecated” .
- How to evaluate a plugin for your WooCommerce store – Tips for choosing a WooCommerce plugin.
Resources & Freebies
- How to Create Beautiful Responsive Sliders with WordPress and the SlideDeck Plugin – I reviewed a great slider plugin.
- 7 Top Backup Plugins for Your WordPress Website – Roundup of the most popular backup solutions.