Weekly WordPress News: #WPDrama, Independence Day & More
The past month has been a strange one in the WordPress community with lots of drama breaking out around various issues. Tom McFarlin wrote a great piece with his thoughts this week, which I completely agree with, take a look at his post “The WordPress Community (A Comedy of Drama, Ego, Oligarchies, and More)“. He says “I’m seeing things get worse rather than better, I find myself wanting to distance myself more and more from certain aspects – and, yes, even people – involved in WordPress rather than get more deeply involved”.
I tend to feel the same, Lately I find myself just trying to ignore all the goings on and keep my head down and focus on what I’m doing, I even thought about selling my WordPress related properties recently and taking a break from it completely. Ultimately I decided against that as it’s something I love working on but the drama and cliques surrounding it tends to get me down from time to time. Unfortunately I only see the problem getting worse – there is more money than ever in working with WordPress which will draw more people in and will end up creating more conflict as people try and push their own agendas.
Tomorrow is Independence day so I would like to wish our American readers a happy holiday! Have a great weekend of Fireworks and Barbecues :) As usual the WordPress community have created loads of special offers so you can grab that theme or plugin you wanted with a great discount, head over to our deals post to find the best deals.
Have a great weekend everyone, let’s get on with this week’s news …
WordPress News and Articles
- 4th of July Independence Day WordPress Deals & Coupon Codes – Our big roundup of all the Independence Day Deals.
- The WordPress Community (A Comedy of Drama, Ego, Oligarchies, and More) – Tom’s thoughts on the drama surrounding WordPress lately.
- On Trust and Opacity – More on the state of the WordPress community.
- How We Are Planning to Improve Our Customer Acquisition – Transparency Report 5 – WP Rocket’s monthly report.
- AppReplica Competition: Win 3 Business Plans worth $149 Each – Enter our latest WordPress competition here.
- Inside Ultimate Member: June 2015 – Monthly income report for the Ultimate Member plugin.
- 5 Ways to Grow Your Business By Working For Free – Ghost founder John O’Nolan talks about creating value by giving away your work.
- WordPress 4.3 Beta 1 Now Available for Testing – Test out menus in the Customizer.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Why Child Themes Are So Important – Always use them!
- The Tuts+ Guide to Template Tags: Fourth Batch – 4th part of the guide to template tags.
- Introduction to Google DFP Small Business – Intro to Google Double click for publishers.
- Toolbox of the Smart WordPress Developer: Series Introduction – Start of a series talking about different tools for WordPress devs.
- Hacking the WordPress Template Hierarchy – Some advanced dev tips for WordPress themes.
- Using WordPress Post Formats to Their Fullest – Guide to Post formats.
Resources & Freebies
- Ship: A New App for Shipping Plugins from GitHub to WordPress.org – Host your plugins on Git and use this to ship them to SVN.
- Steering the ship back home – All Theme Hybrid themes and plugins are now free.
- WP Video Robot Review: The Ultimate WordPress Video Autoposting Plugin? – Our review of a Video posting plugin.
- The Best WordPress SEO Plugins And Tools For 2015 – A solid list of SEO plugins.
- 11 Simple Tools for Managing and Selling Digital Downloads with WordPress – Plugins to sell downloads.