This post, is a good read at the ViperChill blog where the author Glen talks about cloning other website's for your local market. He mentions one company named Rocket Internet whose sole purpose is to copy other successful websites and take them to different markets with the purpose of being acquired by the company they copied.
It's an interesting read if nothing else and got me thinking about how this relates to WordPress - we are constantly seeing ideas for plugins and themes being copied, forked and changed but all is fine under the umbrella of the GPL license as long as no trademarks are being infringed upon, we even have the right to take someone's exact code and use it for ourselves.
Another post which I noticed this week was this one, by Matt Geri, who talks about his desire to be a WordPress-related entrepreneur but has decided to not create a product but instead try and monetize his blog and sell information as the product. Will be interesting to see what he has got in store and whether it proves successful or not.
Have a great weekend everyone - Here's this week's news!
WordPress News and Articles
- 7 Steps Every Business Owner Can Take To Increase Brand Awareness - Tips and Tools to build your brand online.
- PayPal for WooCommerce: How Andrew Angell Is Building a Business with a Free Plugin - Interesting article about the creator of PayPal for WooCommerce.
- How to Steal the Next Billion Dollar Website Idea: A Case Study -Can you build a business by cloning others success?
- The Genius of Wordpress (and why it’s doomed) - Opportunities for Static Site Generators.
- A Preview of Recurring Payments 2.4 - Pippin announces some updates for the new version of this add-on.
- A WordPress entrepreneur’s conundrum - Matt Geri decides to try and monetize his blog instead of creating WordPress products.
- Is WordPress Code Really A Mess? - Thoughts on the WP code base.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How to Build Product Hunt-Style Website Using Plugin Hunt Theme - Review of the Plugin Hunt theme at WPKube.
- How to Make WooCommerce Product Attributes More Prominent - How to break the product attributes out of their hidden tab.
- Fortifying Security in WordPress, Part 1 - Security tips for WordPress.
- Creating Single Page Applications With WordPress and Angular.js - Angular.js tutorial from Tom Whitbread.
Resources & Freebies
- Industron Review - A Full-Featured Retina Responsive WordPress Theme For Industry.
- PB Sandwich Review - A New Free Lightweight Front-End Page Builder WordPress Plugin.
- Pixova Review - A Free One-Page WordPress Theme With Parallax Scrolling and WooCommerce Support.
- 20 Useful WordPress Forms Available on CodeCanyon - A collection of Form Plugins.
- Entrepreneur Tools - A collection of tools and resources for startups and entrepreneurs.