Weekly WordPress News: Bloom Opt-in Launch, Companies Who Share income Statistics & More.
This week saw the launch of a new opt-in plugin by ElegantThemes called “Bloom” it is honestly looking like the best solution for gathering emails for your mailing list at the moment. Im going to be doing some testing of it on WPLift for a future review so I will give my full verdict then. So far though it looks great – it has popups, slide-ins, widgets, bottom of content forms. It works with 12 different mailing list services and the admin panel looks great – loads of customization features and A/B testing etc – take a look if you are in the market for this kind of plugin, you can also enter our competition to win dev memberships here which include all the ElegantThemes plugins.
One post which has been trending on WPLift this week is our roundup post “Transparency in WordPress: Companies Who Publicly Share Income & Statistics” I find these types of post fascinating so check that out if you would like a little inspiration!
I have spent the week designing our latest theme for ThemeFurnace and I love it – this should be our best theme yet, we are going to release a multi-purpose theme with loads of customization options and features and as always, we are trying to do it in the simplest way possible with no bloated add-ons and required plugins etc. Coding on the project has started and we are aiming to launch this sometime next month, here is a sneak preview of it :
Hope every has a great weekend – Let’s get on with the news!
WordPress News and Articles
- Transparency in WordPress: Companies Who Publicly Share Income & Statistics – Get inspired with my roundup of WP related companies who are transparent with their earnings.
- Bloom eMail Opt-In Plugin by Elegant Themes: Launch Competition – This new plugin from ElegantThemes is sweet, win yourself a copy + a developer account in our competition.
- Frito-Lay’s Custom Project Management App Is Built on WordPress – Cool case study of a large company using WordPress for project management.
- Running a successful membership site in real life, with Jonathan Williamson – Brian interviews Jonathan Williamson ( Pippins Twin Brother ) about running his Computer Graphics membership site.
- What Are WordPress Theme Extensions? – Tom discusses addons for WordPress themes.
- Understanding WordPress Plugin Vulnerabilities – A great post which explains the severity of security vulnerabilities in WordPress products.
- The Anatomy of an Awesome WordPress Support Request – How to submit a support request to enable the support team to help you more easily.
- We didn’t know that WooCommerce would flip our whole business on its head – Interview with Magnus Jepson from WooThemes.
- Q&A with Wired.com’s Jake Spurlock – Jake talks about Wired.com’s recent redesign and move over to WordPress.
- Remembering Community in the Face of Negativity – There are real people behind those plugins you use everyday.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Complete Guide to Accepting Credit Cards with WooCommerce using Stripe – My guide to using Stripe with WooCommerce to accept credit cards on your eCommerce site.
- How to Add a WordPress Site’s Pageview and Visitor Count to The iOS Notification Center – Nice tip from WPTavern.
- A Developer’s Guide to Contributing to WordPress Core – Read this if you would like to contribute to WP core.
- How to Create a Staging Site for WordPress – How to setup a Staging site for testing your WordPress site.
- The Basics of WordPress SEO for Designers: How to Improve Your Portfolio – Some tips for improving your design portfolio site.
- Handling WordPress 404 Errors The Smart Way – Better 404 Page handling.
- Create a Simple CRM in WordPress: Advanced Custom Fields – Latest part of the tuts+ tutorial on creating a CRM with WordPress.
Resources & Freebies
- Ultimate Member: A New Free Community and User Profile Plugin for WordPress – Another member plugin, using the model of giving away the core plugin and charging for addons.
- Introducing Longform: A New (Free) Storytelling WordPress Theme with Full Aesop Compatibility – A new free theme for writers.