When we usually read tips for launching products successfully, it was interesting for me to read this post about a plugin update which went really badly. David Gewirtz shares his experiences of adopting a plugin with around 50k installs and working in updating it, taking him about 360 hours of labor and costing him around $1000, only to find his update broke a lot of non-profit sites ( it was a donation plugin ).
On the flip-side, Matt Medeiros talks about his successful product launch and shares some tips. “I created a WordPress plugin and sold $4k of licenses in the 1st hour of launch.”
Finally, it's always cool to read about people venturing out on their own with their businesses, this week Barry Kooij, formally of WooCommerce wrote a post about his decision to leave Woo and focus on his own plugins full-time, I wish him all the best.
Here's the rest of the news from the past week ...
WordPress News and Articles
- How To Achieve More By Working Less - Productivity tips.
- 7 UXperts Share Most Annoying Usability Mistakes - I agree with these, do designers who do this like it when they are browsing the web?
- ElegantThemes Release Divi 2.4 – See all The New Features Here - Elegant Themes update their flagship theme with a load of new features.
- WordPress Theme Review Team Launches Code Examples Library on GitHub - Great idea, includes some code for the Customizer starting off.
- Menu Customizer Officially Approved for Merge Into WordPress 4.3 - Good idea to add to the Customizer, bad idea to remove from the main menu.
- The Next Chapter - Barry Kooij talks about his decision to leave WooCommerce and go full time on his own plugins.
- My open-source WordPress plug-in: Lessons learned from a release gone wrong - "I accidentally crashed somewhere between 10,000 and 70,000 nonprofit Web sites."
- 10 Product Launch Lessons - Tips for launching your next product.
- The Best WordPress Shared Hosting Providers in the World - Infographic from CodeinWP
- Introducing WooCommerce Memberships - Woo have launched a membership extension for WooCommerce.
- WordPress Plugin Developers Need to Communicate Better in Change Logs - Jeff posts about changelogs not mentioning security fixes.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- Beginner’s Guide To WordPress Loop - A guide for theme developers.
- Finding and Fixing Slow WordPress Database Queries - Handy guide for fixing slow DB queries.
- A Look at WooCommerce Products Settings - Setting up your WooCommerce products.
- Styling Sections in a Page-Based Site Differently - Different styling options for pages in WordPress themes.
- Use a Custom Post Type for Your Sidebar Content - Interesting way to add sidebar content instead of using widgets.
Resources & Freebies
- 20 of the Best Free MultiPurpose WordPress Themes for 2015 - My pick of the best free multipurpose themes from the directory.
- Zendesk Inbox Review: A Completely Free Shared Team Email Solution - A great free group email solution, loved it.
- A Comprehensive Comparison of WordPress Commenting Plugins - Commenting plugins roundup.
- Themify Flow - Drag & Drop WordPress Theme Builder - Another free drag and drop builder.
- Yoast Releases Comment Management Plugin: Yoast Comment Hacks - Yoast launches a free plugin for customizing WordPress comments.
- Why Pay? How to Get By with a Free WordPress Theme - Tips for getting the most from free themes.