Weekly WordPress News: Automattic Acquires Tumblr
In big news this week, Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, acquired Tumblr for pennies on the dollar (at least versus its previous acquisition price). We’ll have a few different articles covering the acquisition.
Beyond that, the Trusted Authors Program at WordPress.org is no more, and we’ve also got tons of great tutorials as usual.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- Verizon is selling Tumblr to WordPress.com parent, Automattic – TechCrunch’s reporting.
- Exclusive: Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg on what’s next for Tumblr – Matt’s vision for Tumblr.
- Automattic Acquires Tumblr, Plans to Rebuild the Backend Powered by WordPress – and one more from WP Tavern.
- WordPress Theme Review Team Scraps Trusted Authors Program Due to Gaming and Inconsistent Reviews – no more trusted authors program.
- The (Upcoming) WordPress Renaissance – is WordPress going to have a renaissance?
- Proposal to Auto-Update Old Versions of WordPress to 4.7 Sparks Heated Debate – good idea? Bad idea?
- New Windows malware can also brute-force WordPress websites – not fun!
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- Fixing oEmbed with a Custom Provider – a helpful tutorial from WebDevStudios.
- How to intercept post publishing based on post meta – Rachel shows you how to do it.
- How to set prices by user role in WooCommerce (2 easy steps) – this can come in handy for a lot of eCommerce stores.
- Understand WordPress Scheduled Tasks: WP Cron Makes Sense – learn about WP Cron.
- How To Create A WordPress Recipe Directory (No Code Required) – create a recipe directory in WordPress
- How to Use WooCommerce Product Table to Increase Sales – Themify shows you how
RESOURCES & DEALS
- Woostify Review: A Lightweight, Customizable Free WooCommerce Theme – check out our review of the Woostify theme.
- A Maturing Page Builder Market – Interview with Raitis Sevelis, Head of Product at Visual Composer – Freemius interviews Raitis.
- Alternatives To Google Products – A Guide to Protecting Your Data From Google’s Prying Eyes
- Watching a $4,000 launch day fade away – a new episode of Matt Report.
- Divi Summer Sale – 20% Off – Get 20% off Divi and Elegant Themes in general.