Weekly WordPress News: RIP Alex King
Some very sad news this week was Alex King’s passing after a battle with Cancer, my thoughts go out to his friends and family at this difficult time. Alex was a core contributor to WordPress and fundamental in helping it become what it has today. Alex founded the successful Crowd Favorite agency and also designed the famous share icon that is now seen all over the internet. Matt shares his thoughts on his personal blog about Alex here.
Alex recently put out a post requesting people who have interacted with him to share remembrances so they may be shared with his 6 year old daughter to help her get “a better sense of who I was as an adult.” so I urge you to use the email on that post to share any stories you have with his wife.
I didn’t know Alex personally but his involvement with WordPress has helped me and millions of other people tremendously, he fully embraced the spirit of the open source and he will live on through the work he has contributed to our community. RIP Alex.
WordPress News and Articles
- Rest in peace, Alex King – Alex King passed away this week after a battle with cancer, extremely sad news – RIP Alex.
- Remembering Alex King – Matt’s thoughts on Alex’s passing.
- The 7 Things Your Premium Plugins Must Deliver – How to provide a great premium plugin.
- Is Becoming a ‘WordPress Professional’ Right for You (Or Even Possible)? – Advice for becoming a “pro”.
- Writing About WordPress? Here’s Where to Get Your Statistics From – WP Stats.
- Lessons I Learned Moderating Comments in WordPress – Jeff started moderating all comments on the Tavern recently.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- WooCommerce Plugin to Help Recover Abandoned Carts & Convert to Paying Customers – Convert more people to paying customers with this plugin.
- Make it Easy for Users to Setup Your Themes – Demo Content, Importer, Plugin & Widget Setup
- WordPress Developers: How to Choose the Best Support Platform for You – Systems to provide customer support.
- How To Market WordPress Content [Infographic] – How to promote your WordPress related content.
- Advanced WordPress Management With WP-CLI – Control WordPress with command-line tools.
- How to Improve Your Plugin Header Image? – Tips for creating a great header image for the directory.
- How to Integrate Google Forms With WordPress – Add a Google form to your WP Site.
- Tips for starting an international WooCommerce store – Sell internationally with WooCommerce.
- How to Switch from Blogger to WordPress without Losing Google Rankings – How to switch to WordPress from Blogger.
Resources & Freebies
- Free and Premium Options for Cloning and Duplicating a WordPress Website – How to clone a WordPress website.
- 13 Essential Plugins and Extensions for WooCommerce Stores – A collection of free WooCommerce plugins.
- 6 WordPress Plugins That Take Native Comments to the Next Level – Plugins for your WP Comments.
- 25 Free Stock Video Sources For Your Homepage Background – Sites to get free videos.
- The 7 Best 404 Plugins for WordPress – Take control of your 404 page with these plugins.
- 60+ Stunning Free Personal Blog Themes for WordPress – Free blogging themes roundup.