WPLift is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Weekly WordPress News: Protect Your WordPress Site with this Security Guide
WordPress, like any platform, is constantly under threat from security attacks. But the good news is that the WordPress community offers numerous solutions to keep your site safe. Here are some key steps to secure your WordPress site:
Follow Best Practices:
- Use HTTPS
- Avoid using “admin” as your admin username
- Require strong passwords
- Keep plugins and themes updated
- Have a website backup plan
- Minimise plugin use
- Enable two-factor authentication
- Install a WordPress Firewall and Vulnerability Scanner
- Most websites have already switched to HTTPS. If your site isn’t, check with your web host about obtaining a free SSL certificate. You can set your WordPress and site addresses to HTTPS in the General Settings tab. The Really Simple SSL plugin can help simplify the conversion to HTTPS by handling redirects and adding security headers to protect against clickjacking and cross-site-forgery attacks.
Use a Secure Admin Username:
- Hackers often target the WordPress login screen using the username “Admin”. To protect against brute force and dictionary attacks, avoid using “Admin” as your username and consider creating a firewall rule with the Wordfence security plugin to block any attempts to log in with the Admin username.
Enforce Strong Passwords:
- Require strong passwords for all users, including those with admin-level privileges and even subscribers. By enforcing strong passwords, you reduce the risk of any user becoming an attack vector.
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- https://wordpress.org/news/2023/01/people-of-wordpress-daniel-kossmann/ – People of WordPress: Daniel Kossmann
- https://wptavern.com/wordpress-com-introduces-browse-mode-style-book-and-push-to-global-styles-features – WordPress.com Introduces Browse Mode, Style Book, and Push to Global Styles Features
- https://wptavern.com/wordpress-contributors-work-towards-removing-site-editor-beta-label-for-6-2-release – WordPress Contributors Work Towards Removing Site Editor Beta Label for 6.2 Release
- https://wptavern.com/wordpress-launches-old-tickets-trac-triage-sessions – WordPress Launches Old Tickets Trac Triage Sessions
- https://wptavern.com/podcast/61-robert-rowley-on-securing-your-wordpress-website – Robert Rowley on Securing Your WordPress Website
- https://masterwp.com/get-ready-for-wordcamp-entebbe/ – Get Ready for WordCamp Entebbe!
- https://wptavern.com/wordpress-training-team-seeks-feedback-with-individual-learner-survey – WordPress Training Team Seeks Feedback with Individual Learner Survey
- https://wptavern.com/new-proposal-calls-for-automated-performance-monitoring-for-wordpress-core – New Proposal Calls for Automated Performance Monitoring for WordPress Core
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- https://barn2.com/elementor-podcast/ – How to Create a Podcast Player on Your Elementor Website (2023) – Barn2
- https://www.codeable.io/blog/wordpress-vs-custom-website/ – WordPress vs. Custom Web Design: Which is Better for You? – Codeable
- https://accessally.com/blog/sell-video-courses-online/ – WordPress vs. Custom Web Design: Which is Better for You? – Codeable
- https://accessally.com/blog/sell-video-courses-online/ – How to Create And Sell Your Online Video Courses in 2023 – AccessAlly
- https://flownotify.com/woocommerce-order-notification/ – WooCommerce Order Notifications: How to Set Them Up (2023) – FlowNotify
- https://www.codeinwp.com/blog/landing-page-checklist/ – Landing Page Checklist: How to Write a Landing Page in 25 Steps
- https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-limit-or-disable-automatic-empty-trash-in-wordpress/ – How to Limit or Disable Automatic Empty Trash in WordPress
- https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-add-dark-mode-to-your-wordpress-website-easy/ – How to Add Dark Mode to Your WordPress Website
- https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/website-marketing-data-you-must-track-on-every-wordpress-site/ – 10 Website Marketing Data You Must Track on Every WordPress Site – Akkio
- https://wplift.com/21-best-landing-page-themes-for-wordpress-for-2023 – 21 Best Landing Page Themes for WordPress for 2023
- https://wplift.com/5-wordpress-experts-give-their-top-tips-on-wordpress-performance – 5 WordPress Experts Give Their Top Tips on WordPress Performance
- https://wplift.com/best-wordpress-chatbots – 7 Best Chatbots for Your WordPress Website in 2023
- https://www.sitesaga.com/best-whatsapp-plugins-for-wordpress/ – 12 Best WhatsApp Plugins for WordPress 2023
- https://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/best-google-optimize-alternatives/ – 9 Best Google Optimize Alternatives (Free and Paid)