This week, WP Tavern has an interesting look at the behind the scenes motivations behind PixelGrade’s decision to use ThemeForest’s author driven pricing to offer a $225 theme.
There are also two interesting discussions of official WordPress themes – one for WordPress.com, and one for the WordPress.org plugin repository.
As usual, I’ve also got some helpful tutorials covering things like automating WordPress setup, resetting your WordPress site, and getting the most from magazine themes.
And finally, you can check out some details on Let’s Encrypt and their free SSL offer.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- Why PixelGrade is Experimenting with a $225 WordPress Theme on Themeforest – an interesting look at the pricing logic behind PixelGrade’s $225 theme.
- New WordPress Default Theme Twenty Seventeen Merged into 4.7 – WordPress 4.7 will ship with a new default theme in December.
- Why Let’s Encrypt Has Completely Changed The SSL Landscape – a look at the free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt.
- Version 3.0: Rethinking How a Page Builder Should Work – how should a page builder work? Benjamin from Page Builder Sandwich discusses just that.
- Behind the Scenes of WordPress.com Themes with David Kennedy – an interesting look behind the themes of wordpress.com.
- Do You Need WordPress.org to Promote Your Themes – after the Zerif fiasco, Ionut discusses whether or not you need WordPress.org for theme promotion.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- How to Reset Your WordPress Website – sometimes you need to reset part or all of your WordPress website. This article shows you how.
- The Ultimate Guide on WordPress Security – if Ahmad’s Security September Series on WPLift didn’t sate your security thirst, here’s a big guide from Kinsta.
- Automating Local WordPress Site Setup with Scripts Part 2: Creating a WP-CLI Package – a bit of an advanced guide from Delicious Brains.
- Responsibly Updating your WordPress Website – a guide to WordPress updates from Matt Cromwell.
- How To Choose The Right WordPress Theme For Your Business – some tips for choosing a theme for your business.
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting the Most from a WordPress Magazine Theme – magazine themes can be tricky to use well.
- How to Manage WordPress Sites: 75 Tasks To Keep Your Site Running Smoothly – a comprehensive list of WordPress management tips from iThemes.
RESOURCES & FREEBIES
- 14 Best Logo Showcase Plugins for WordPress – easily showcase your sponsors or “featured on” brands.
- 13 Surprising WordPress Usage Statistics (Updated 2016!) – an updated list of WordPress usage statistics.
- 10 Best WordPress Facebook Widgets – the best Facebook widgets for WordPress.
- 30 Best Minimalist WordPress Themes – some of the best minimalist WordPress themes out there.
- A Complete Plugin Rewrite Case Study with Ninja Forms – a MasterMind podcast discussing Ninja Forms’ rewrite.