Howdy, WordPress friends. How are you faring with WordPress 5.0? Have you updated yet, or are you still holding off? Either way, you should pay attention to a new security release. WordPress 5.0.1 is out to fix a number of security issues. However, these issues also affect older versions of WordPress, so the core team has created a separate WordPress 4.9.9 release so that people who haven’t updated to 5.0 yet can still secure their sites.
Beyond that, WP Tavern has a good summary of the State of the Word 2018, as well as the details on next year’s WordCamp US location and dates.
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- WordPress 5.0.1 Security Release – these issues also affect WordPress 4.9.8, which is why there’s a separate WordPress 4.9.9 update for people who don’t want to move to WordPress 5.0 yet.
- State of the Word 2018: WordPress Embraces the Block Editor – WP Tavern has a good summary of the State of the Word 2018.
- WordCamp US 2019 to be Held November 1-3 in St. Louis – it will be a lot earlier next year.
- WordPress 4.9.8 Is Faster Than WordPress 5.0 – that’s according to Kinsta’s latest PHP benchmarks.
- Quick Checkout finds a New Home – relevant if you use this plugin.
- An Overview of 2019 the New Default WordPress Theme – Elegant Themes details the new default theme.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- How To Get More Email Subscribers On Your WordPress Site – learn how to get more email subscribers at your WordPress site.
- How To Host Google Fonts Locally On WordPress (Or Other Fonts, Too!) – learn how to locally host Google Fonts (or other fonts, as well).
- How to create a WP CLI Command for Batch Imports or Exports – Igor shows you how.
- WordPress Deployment Part 5: Atomic Deployments – Delicious Brains has another good tutorial for devs.
RESOURCES & DEALS
- DropshipMe Review: Import Curated AliExpress Products To WooCommerce – check out DropshipMe if you use AliExpress.
- Interview with Matt Mullenweg on Gutenberg, WordPress, and the future – Matt was interviewed by Brian @ Post Status.
- Visual Composer Website Builder 10.0: All Improved and Better – Visual Composer just released the latest version, which is now “GPL Compatible”.