7 Best WordPress Social Share Plugins: Our Picks + What We Use
Looking for the best WordPress social share plugin for your site?
Social share buttons are a feature you’ll see on pretty much every WordPress site, which means you’re spoiled for choice when it comes to quality WordPress social media plugins.
To help you filter through all your options, I collected seven of my favorite social share plugins for your consumption. These plugins range from feature-rich premium options to simple free options, so you should be able to find something helpful on this list no matter what you’re looking for!
Ready to get social? Let’s dive in…
What’s The Best WordPress Social Share Plugin? 7 Options Compared
1. Social Warfare
Social Warfare is the social share plugin that we use here at WPLift, so we obviously think it’s pretty swell. And if you want to see it in action, you just need to play around with the buttons on this post.
So why do we like Social Warfare so much? Well, you can read our Social Warfare review for the long version. But here’s the short version…
With Social Warfare, you get:
- Gorgeous social share buttons, either before/after content or floating
- A new meta box that lets you customize social share information for each piece of content
- Total or individual share counts, including an option to help you recover old share counts (helpful if you lost your counts after moving from HTTP to HTTPS)
- Dedicated images for Pinterest, which is important because taller images usually do better on Pinterest
- Click-to-tweet functionality
- Minimum share counts to avoid negative social proof
Price: Limited free version. Pro version starts at $29 for use on a single site
2. Easy Social Share Buttons
Easy Social Share Buttons has the lengthiest feature list that you’ll find on any WordPress social media plugin. It’s also the plugin that we previously used at WPLift, before making the switch to Social Warfare.
There’s a lot to like about this plugin, which is why we used it for quite some time and it has a 4.66-star rating on over 24,800 sales.
Because it has so many features, I can’t cover everything that this plugin can do in a roundup post like this. But here are some of the highlights to pique your interest:
- Supports 50+ social networks
- Comes bundled with over 30 automatic display positions, including various in-content and floating options, as well as unique options like top bars, floating action buttons, and lightbox popups
- 55+ different button styles
- Total and individual share counts, including minimum share count requirements and share count recovery
- Customization options to control what content users share
- Social follow buttons, including follow counters
If you just want basic share buttons, all those features might be overkill. But if you want the most control possible over your share buttons, Easy Social Share Buttons is a great option.
According to its WordPress.org numbers, AddToAny is the most popular WordPress social share plugin that you’ll find.
It’s got a few things going for it, but the biggest is its support for a huge number of different networks, as well as the universal share button that lets your visitors access those networks without cluttering up your site.
In total, AddToAny gives you access to share buttons for over 100 different social networks/websites, including an email option.
You can use dedicated buttons for your most important social networks, and then let users choose from the remaining networks with the aforementioned universal button.
Beyond that, you get features like:
- Share counts
- Option to display your share buttons before/after content or as a floating share bar
- Google Analytics integration
- Asynchronous loading for better performance
It’s also well-supported at WordPress.org, with most support issues getting resolved quickly.
All in all, this one is popular for a reason. Though it lacks the more advanced features of premium options like Social Warfare or Easy Social Share Buttons, it’s a great option for adding basic share buttons to your site.
Like all of Elegant Themes’ products, it’s only available if you purchase the membership. That means it’s a little expensive as a standalone plugin. But it’s an awesome value if you’re already interested in other Elegant Themes’ products, like Divi.
Monarch can handle both social share buttons and social follow buttons.
It gives you access to 20 different social networks, as well as 5 different display locations including:
- Above/below content
- Floating sidebar
- Automatic popup or flyin
- On individual media content
One neat thing is that – for the two automatic options – you can use some creative triggers to display them, like:
- After a user leaves a comment (this is a great way to get a share because you already know that the reader is engaged)
- After a user makes a purchase
And you also get options for scroll depth, time, and other triggers.
Other helpful features include:
- Share counts
- Social follow buttons, including follower counts
- Analytics for shares, follows, and likes
Like I said – I wouldn’t recommend this plugin if it’s the only Elegant Themes product you’ll use (there are cheaper options in that case). But if you’re interested in other products – like Divi or Bloom – the Elegant Themes membership is an awesome value.
Price: Part of the $89 Elegant Themes membership
MashShare is a popular freemium social share button plugin that helps you add Mashable-style share buttons and counts to your site. It’s from the same developer as the awesome WP Staging plugin, as well as the AdSense plugin WP QUADS.
Its look might not be for everyone, but if Mashable-style is what you want, MashShare delivers.
Beyond its unique styling, MashShare also includes other helpful features like:
- Total and individual share counts (including an option to create fake share counts, which I think is a little dishonest)
- A widget to help you display your most shared posts
- Smart caching to maintain performance
And with the many available paid add-ons, you can also get:
- Access to more social networks
- More placement options, including sticky and floating bars
- Responsive design
- Select and share and/or click to tweet
- Google Analytics integration
Price: Free. Can also purchase individual add-ons or a license for all add-ons for €39
6. Social Pug
Social Pug is a simple WordPress share button plugin that helps you add share buttons:
- Before/after content
- As a floating bar
What I like about this plugin is that:
- It’s super simple to use
- The button designs look great right out of the box
In the free version, it’s not as feature rich as some of the other plugins, but it is more simple. And you can still display individual/total share counts in the free version.
If you go Pro, you’ll also get:
- More social networks
- More placement options
- Link shortening through Bitly
- Google Analytics UTM tracking
- Follow buttons
- Click to tweet
- Most shared posts widget
All in all, if you want something simple that looks great, this one is a good option.
Price: Free. Pro starts at $29
7. OnePress Social Locker
To round out this list, I want to end with a unique approach to WordPress share buttons. Rather than adding floating or before/after content buttons to your site, OnePress Social Locker lets you lock specific content until a user shares your content on social media.
This is obviously a more aggressive approach. But it can work when done right. For example, effective examples that I’ve seen include locking:
- A specific example behind a social wall (e.g. “share this post on Twitter to unlock the exact email template I used to get new clients”)
- A download
In the free version, OnePress Social Locker supports:
And if you go Pro, you’ll get access to new networks like LinkedIn and YouTube, with Pinterest and Instagram support on the way, as well as analytics.
Price: Free, or $27 for Pro
Which WordPress Social Share Plugin Should You Use?
If you can afford a premium option, we recommend Social Warfare (there’s a reason we use it on this site!). Its combination of deep functionality and beautiful designs is a real winner.
For free options, it kind of depends on what your priorities are:
- AddToAny supports the most social networks and has the universal share button
- MashShare has the unique Mashable styling
- Social Pug is simple and looks great out of the box
Have any other questions about WordPress social media plugins? Or would you recommend a different social share plugin? Let us know in the comments!