WordPress has a built-in option to add image galleries on any of your pages/posts. In addition to that, you can create images that are responsive. If you’re on the aesthetic side and want to create a beautiful yet intuitive gallery for your website, WordPress has a ton of gallery plugins for you. But finding the right one that works for your needs and preferences might be tough. In this Envira Gallery review, we take a look at a free WordPress tool that helps you create responsive images and video galleries for your site. Read along and we’ll give you in-depth information with the pros and cons up to the installation and setup process.
Envira Gallery Overview
Envira Gallery is a gallery plugin for WordPress which is available for free and also has a premium version. The free version has been downloaded over 300,000 times and has 40k active installs and is sitting at a 4.3 out of 5 rating on the official WordPress directory. It allows you to create responsive galleries within WordPress using a drag and drop interface and is SEO friendly with the ability for metadata, deep links, standalone galleries, and pagination.
If you want to try out the plugin first, you’re free to do so. Install and activate the Envira Gallery plugin that can be found on the WordPress plugin repository. The free version only provides the basic galleries. If you want to unlock its advanced features, you’ll need to buy the premium version. For this one, Envira Gallery is giving us four different pricing plans. It all matters now to your needs and preferences.
- Basic – $26/year with unlimited galleries for 1 site
- Plus – $62/year with everything in basic for 3 sites
- Pro – $89/year with everything in Plus for 5 sites
- Lifetime – $269 one time payment with everything in pro for unlimited sites
With the overall pricing plans, we highly suggest getting the Lifetime plan. Not only does it unlock everything on the Plugin, but the cost is also a one-time payment which is worth it compared to the yearly subscription. This is a great steal for power users who need functionality such as client proofing, eCommerce, and deep linking. On top of that, they also have a 100% no-risk money-back guarantee for 14 days. If you’re not satisfied with its services, you can get a refund.
Envira Gallery Key Features
- Albums – allows you to use your image galleries for adding the photo albums in WordPress.
- Custom CSS – It helps you control the UI of your images as you need, so your image galleries look beautiful.
- Deep Linking – It creates URLs for each of the images in your gallery. It helps you in SEO by adding the indexable URLs for search engines.
- Defaults – It saves your default image gallery and addons settings, so you don’t need to add the settings every time you create an image gallery with Envira.
- Dropbox Importer – allows you to directly bring the newly added photos from Dropbox to your image gallery in WordPress.
- Dynamic – It helps you to simply add the shortcode, image ids, tags or more to add a beautiful image gallery in your post.
- EXIF – It allows you to share the EXIF metadata of your photos in image galleries and lightbox view. This data includes make/model of camera, aperture, shutter speed and more.
- Full Screen – It works with the help of the browser’s fullscreen mode feature to display full screen images.
- Gallery Themes – It gives you access to more than 5 image gallery templates that makes your photo gallery stand out.
- Image Proofing – allows your customers to select their favorite photos for proofing the size and quantity to order them from your website.
- Instagram Importer – import photos from your Instagram account, photos that you liked on Instagram, or photos with specific tags in your image gallery.
- Lightroom Integration – It helps you to create, sync, and manage your image galleries from Lightroom in WordPress.
- Pagination – helps in splitting your large image galleries into multiple pages.
- Password Protection – helps you to add a password for viewing an image gallery.
- Pinterest Icon – It adds the Pinterest Pin It button to the images. It is a retina ready button and works great on all devices.
- Protection – It disables the right-click and image download option from your photo galleries. It works great with the gallery display and lightbox view.
- Slideshow – It helps move your images with the keyboard navigation or enable the autoplay option.
- Social Sharing – It helps you add social share icons on your image galleries.
- Standalone – It creates unique URLs for your image galleries and photo albums.
- Supersize – Adjust your images of any size amazingly on your screens.
- Tags – It will display above your image gallery, so you can click on the tags to view the images.
- Videos – You can add YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, and self-hosted videos to your gallery.
- Watermarking – You can add a watermark to your images in full-size and lightbox.
- WooCommerce Integration – It integrates the WooCommerce platform with Envira Gallery to easily create an image selling website.
- ZIP Importer – It allows you to import photos from a .zip file to your image gallery in WordPress.
- There is an available free version for casual users
- Straightforward interface
- Lightbox effect
- Available to use shortcodes
- If you are a power user and need functionality, this free version will not work best for you as it provides limited features.
- If you want the basic gallery, you need to upgrade to the Basic Plan.
Envira Gallery Installation & Setup
You can start by installing and activating the Envira Gallery WordPress plugin. After activating the plugin, you will find a new tab of Envira Gallery in the WordPress admin sidebar. Simply go to Envira Gallery » Add New for creating your image gallery.
You should drag and drop your photos in the images section. If you want to update the metadata for the images, then click on the (i) icon on each image individually for this setting.
Once the images and meta information is added, you can go ahead to the config tab from the Envira Gallery settings. By default, the settings are great for an image gallery. However, you can change any settings as you need accordingly.
The other settings include lightbox, thumbnails, mobile, and misc. In these settings, you can enable or disable any functionality as per requirements.
Once you are satisfied with all the settings, simply click on the Publish button. You will see a popup with the shortcode which you can add to your posts or pages to display your image galleries.
You need the Albums Addon by Envira to create beautiful photo albums in WordPress. After activating the addon, go ahead and add the image galleries into the album.
Article Continues Below
The settings for the albums are similar to image galleries. You can hit the Publish button and copy the shortcode from the dialogue box which you can paste in your posts or pages to display the albums in WordPress.
Envira Gallery is a good solid gallery plugin with a great team behind it – it’s created by Syed Balkhi and Thomas Griffin, the people behind Soliloquy Slider and OptinMonster so you know it will be well supported and receive updates as necessary. The plugin is very easy to set up and get working and has lots of solid features that you would expect from a premium gallery plugin.
The plugin has good documentation online which you can view here, support is provided by an online ticketing system should you need it. You can try out the free version to see if it will suit your needs and can upgrade to a paid plan which all come with a 100% money-back guarantee, allowing you to try the plugin risk-free for 14 days.