Weekly WordPress News: Display Widgets and Plugin Spam
This week, there was some drama with malicious code in the Display Widgets plugin. Then, Wordfence tracked down the man who purchased the plugin and was behind the spam. Definitely an interesting read!
There’s also more Gutenberg news – we may get a plugin to restore the old interface.
And finally, we have lots of helpful guides, as usual!
Let’s get to all of this week’s news…
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- The Man Behind Plugin Spam: Mason Soiza – an interesting investigation from Wordfence.
- Display Widgets Plugin Includes Malicious Code to Publish Spam on WP Sites – the situation that the Wordfence post above is referencing.
- Gutenberg to Offer New Approach to TinyMCE in WordPress 5.0, a Plugin to Bring Back Old Interface Will be Available – will you use that plugin?
- WordPress.org Plugin Support Reps – now developers can add support reps to WordPress.org.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- Helpful WordPress Keyboard Shortcuts to Help You Work Faster – how to use WordPress shortcuts to work more efficiently.
- How to Use WordPress IFTTT Recipes to Automate Your Workflow – some helpful tips from Kinsta.
- How to Run WordPress on a Kubernetes Cluster from Scratch – an advanced tutorial.
- A Guide to Async HTTP Requests for WordPress – a nice guide from Josh Pollock.
- How to Run Google Analytics Content Experiments on WordPress – how to use Google Content Experiments to A/B test WordPress.
- Creating a Custom Table with PHP in WordPress – another nice guide from Delicious Brains.
- How to Track Free to Paid Plugins on wp.org – a short guide from John Turner of SeedProd.
RESOURCES, DEALS & FREEBIES
- Social Warfare Review – Colin had a look at our new social sharing plugin
- One Click-Upsells Review – Add One-Click Upsells to WooCommerce – use this plugin to improve your WooCommerce sales.
- Pearl WordPress Theme Review – a review by Lindsay on this great multi purpose WordPress theme
- Project Huddle Review: A WordPress Plugin InVision Alternative – if you’re a designer or developer, you should check out Project Huddle.
- The Definitive Guide about Backdoor Attacks – What is a backdoor – a nice guide from FixmyWP.
- 8 Premium Themes for $17 – get 8 themes from MatchThemes for $17 at MightyDeals.