On August 7th, WordPress.com announced that Business plan users can now install third-party themes and plugins. It's a pretty big shift and a major opportunity for theme and plugin authors, though Tony Perez has some interesting thoughts on the impact of Automattic's move on the WordPress hosting ecosystem.
There's also some continued debate on the Gutenberg Editor and how it will handle the Meta Box API.
And if you sell any products on Envato, you'll want to read about their new exclusivity policy.
Let's get to all of this week's news...
WORDPRESS NEWS AND ARTICLES
- Gutenberg Development Team Confirms Meta Box API Will Not be Formally Deprecated - the debate over aspects of the Gutenberg Editor continues.
- WordPress.com Business Now Supports Plugins and Third-Party Themes - big changes to WordPress.com's Business plan with regards to third-party themes and plugins.
- Automattic's Push into Managed WordPress and Its Potential Impacts to the Hosting Ecosystem - Tony Perez has some interesting thoughts on the aforementioned changes.
- 44 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting a Blog - a big list of tips from CodeinWP.
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Dismisses Automattic’s Trademark Dispute Against Chris Pearson - an update to some 2015 drama.
- SQL Injection and CSRF Security Vulnerability in Loginizer - make sure to update if you're using this plugin.
- Important Changes To Our Exclusivity Policy - Envato makes a change to their exclusivity policy.
TUTORIALS AND HOW-TOS
- How to Run WP-CLI Commands on a Remote Server - a WP-CLI tutorial from Shawn.
- Using the WooCommerce API with wp-api.js - a tutorial for the devs.
- Using Easy Digital Downloads to Create eCommerce SaaS In WordPress - a nice tutorial from Josh Pollock at Torque.
- How to Create a Client Onboarding Process and Set Expectations - helpful if you're a WordPress freelancer.
RESOURCES, DEALS & FREEBIES
- 11 Best WordPress Multisite Plugins for Better Network Management - some plugins to help you manage your Multisite network better.
- Bluchic announced the launch of their brand new Landing Page Templates - till Monday you can get a 30% discount
- An Awesome WordPress Alternative: Duda Website Builder - an interesting WordPress alternative reviewed by Joe.
- It's SALE season at WPeka - a FLAT 25% off on all WPeka products, use coupon code: FLAT25
- Episode 45: Ryan Sullivan and WP Site Care - Episode 45 of How I Built It.
- Save 35% Off Everything Site-wide at iThemes - use Coupon Code AUGUST35