Do you want to build an email list, but haven’t yet decided which email marketing service you are going to use? We’ve all been there, browsing through different email marketing services sites, trying to figure out which has the best features for your business. While we can’t go through all the email marketing services out there, we are going to take a look at the three most dominant email marketing services— Campaign Monitor vs Mailchimp vs Sendinblue.
Campaign Monitor vs Mailchimp vs SendinBlue
We’ll take a look at the features that these email marketing services offer and give you an insight into the best email marketing service to consider. Let’s get down to business.
Campaign Monitor is one of the recommended solutions on our list. As it belongs to the list, it has the ability to use email marketing tools. It is a web application that creates data for an online mailing list. In addition to that, it can also send HTML e-newsletters too.
Before, Campaign Monitor didn’t offer a free plan. As we looked upon the website, they are now offering a free plan just by signing up to their website.
They also provide three different paid plans—basic, unlimited, and premier. While those three plans have some standard features, they differ in certain ways.
These are some of the key distinctions found in those plans:
- Basic plans have a limit on the number of emails you can send to your subscribers in a single month. If you have an email list with 500 subscribers, you can only send 2500 emails a month. On the other hand, if you have a list with 30,000 email addresses, you can only send 250,000 emails. Also, with basic plans, you are limited to designing automated sophisticated subscriber journeys.
- Unlimited plans don’t limit the number of messages you can send to your subscribers. These plans also offer sophisticated automated email journeys.
- The premium Campaign Monitor plans boost unlimited plans by offering you phone support and send-time optimization. The latter is a feature that sends e-newsletters at specific moments when they are likely to get opened.
Since the pricing depends on the size of your database, we are going to give you an overview of three different scenarios that will help you understand Campaign Monitor pricing:
Note: These are monthly prices.
- A database with 500 subscribers will cost you $9 in the basic plan, $29 in the unlimited plan, and $149 in the premium plan.
- A database with 25,000 email addresses will cost you $199 in the basic plan, $399 in the unlimited plan, and $499 in the premium plan.
- If you have a top-tier database with a list of 50,000 subscribers, you will pay $299 for the basic plan, $699 for the unlimited plan, and $989 for the premium plan.
Campaign Monitor Key Features
- Offers more than 60 premade email designs
- Drag and drop feature
- Create lightboxes and embeddable forms for landing pages
- Allows you to send multiple autoresponders
- Create a series of automated emails based on the rules you define
- A journey designer helps you to create different automated email series
Analytics and Insights
- Quickly reviews your analytics from the unsubscribe rates, and click-throughs
Usability and User Interface
- Straightforward to navigate the front-end
- Has an inbox preview which shows how your email will look like in your subscriber’s inbox
- Automation features are great
- Easy to use
- Professional templates
- Limited support
- No landing page creator
- Can be a bit of expensive
Campaign Monitor Installation & Setup
Before everything else, create and verify your Campaign Monitor account. Then, Install and activate the plugin to your WordPress. After activating the plugin, the global settings tab and form action will be available. From there, your WordPress site needs to link to your Campaign Monitor account.
Article Continues Below
Setup Your Campaign Monitor Integration
Proceed by going to the Campaign Monitor website and log in to your account. Then, click your profile image > Account Settings > API Keys.
Select Show API key to copy and paste your API key.
If you don’t have the generated one yet, select Generate API Key instead.
On a new browser, proceed by going to Formidable > Global Settings > Campaign Monitor. From there, you can now copy and paste your API key and Client ID to the Formidable Global settings page.
Create Forms By Using Campaign Monitor
You can now proceed by going to your integration choice then Forms. For this one, we are using Formidable.
After that, go to the settings page for the form. Now, click Settings > Actions & Notifications. Select the Campaign Monitor icon to add the plugin action to the form. For easy reference, give an Action Name to your Campaign Monitor action. Lastly, select again the Campaign Monitor list to appear the fields needed for your form.
After filling everything up, submit the form.
Another email marketing tool recommended is Mailchimp. Mailchimp offers a free plan. This might be a suitable option if you want to try out Mailchimp features. It lets you host a mail list with 2000 addresses and allows you to send around 10,000 e-newsletters each month. However, your e-newsletters will have Mailchimp ads.
Paid plans are billed in the following way:
- Essentials– starts at $9 for a list with 500 email addresses.
- Standard– starts at $14.99 for a list with 500 email addresses.
- Premium– starts at $299.99 for a list with 500 addresses.
However, the Essentials plan doesn’t let you automate your marketing emails through autoresponders. If you are keen on automation, you should consider the standard and the premium plan.
If you don’t send emails frequently, you can consider using the ‘pay as you go’ plan. This option allows you to pay a certain fee, depending on the number of emails sent. It is based on the essentials plan, so it has the same functionalities as the essentials plan.
Take note: watch out for your subscriber count while using Mailchimp.
Let’s say you have 1000 subscribers on your account, then 200 unsubscribe from your list. Mailchimp will charge you as if you have a subscriber list of 1000 addresses. You can resolve this by deleting unsubscribed addresses from your list.
Mailchimp Key Features
- Mailchimp has some of the best templates that are versatile, diverse, and quite customizable.
- Seamlessly add unique images and social media buttons to your email template
- Templates are not fully loaded
- Has a drag and drop feature
- There are no options that let you adjust the top and bottom margins
- Has various automated email presets organized into different categories
- Offers a custom option which builds an automated email series from scratch
- Ability to integrate automation functionalities with your website
- Allows automation only on top tier plans.
Analytics and Insights
- View your emails basic results such as click throughs, email open rates, and comparative overviews.
- Send optimizer lets you know the best time to send an email.
- Allows three test campaign types
Usability and User Interface
- Campaign builder is quite flexible
- Offers unlimited storage for storing images
- Finding landing pages section can be quite challenging for some users
- Provides a lot of integration with other tools
- Has a built-in CRM which allows users to setup customer profiles
- If you have any affiliate program on your website, unfortunately Mailchimp has a strict policy prohibiting affiliate marketing
- If you are a free plan user, support such as email or tickets are not available.
Mailchimp Installation & Setup
Set Up An Account
Create your account by going to Mailchimp’s website. After creating an account, Mailchimp will send an activation email. Click the link provided to activate your account.
Create Your Email Campaign
Now that you finally have an account, it’s time to create your first email campaign.
Go to the Mailchimp dashboard and click the pencil icon which is the Create tab
Upon selecting, it will flash different campaigns. Now, choose email.
After choosing email, click on Regular
After that, enter the campaign name that you want and click the Begin button
By clicking that, it will take you to the builder. This is where the customization begins.
Lastly, Sendinblue. It also offers a solution for your email marketing needs. If you are looking for one, it might be the one for you.
All SendinBlue plans are based on the number of emails you send. They also allow you to have unlimited contacts. The free plan is a feature-constrained trial that will enable you to send 300 emails per day.
Paid plans are billed in the following manner:
- Lite plan– 40,000 emails at $25 per month.
- Essential plan– 60,000 emails at $39 per month
- Enterprise plan– 120,000 emails at $66 per month, and 350,000 emails at $173.
- Premium plan– This plan is suitable for large organizations that send more than 350,000 emails in a month. The price is customized based on your needs and the number of emails you are planning to send.
Sendinblue Key Features
- Has a 200 mix and match of old and sleek template designs
- The email builder has limited functionalities and offers only eight different fonts.
- Different workflow templates can be redesigned to fulfill a particular purpose
- Allows access automation features in all plans
Analytics and Insights
- Run A/B tests on email content and subject lines.
- Has email reporting tools that gives metrics on subscription clicks and open rates
Usability and User Friendly
- Straightforward user interface and easy to navigate
- Has a minimalistic design
- Allows you to schedule your email campaigns. May it be either send them on a weekly or monthly basis, depending on your publishing frequency.
- Has a free version that allows you to send 300 emails per day in a month
- Needs improvement on the reporting views
- Support system is slow
- Limited integration with other platforms
Sendinblue Installation & Setup
Before you get started, you need a validated account to proceed. If you have, then you can now create your first email campaign
Set Up Your First Campaign
From the Sendinblue dashboard, go to the Campaigns tab. After clicking that, select Email and click on the Create an email campaign button.
It will flash a series of fill-up forms that are needed for your email campaign. Proceed by filling in all the necessary details.
After filling up everything, you can now start configuring the advanced options for your email campaign.
Campaign Monitor vs Mailchimp vs SendinBlue: Which Email Marketing Service Should You Choose?
Now that you’ve gone through those three email marketing services, the next thing you need to do is to choose a suitable platform.
A little while ago, our favorite email marketing service was Mailchimp because it had a user-friendly interface. However, since Sendinblue upgraded its interface, it has become quite competitive. And you know what?
Sendinblue allows you to manage your email marketing features from your WordPress admin dashboard quite easily. While Campaign Monitor is a reliable email marketing service, we couldn’t find a solid reason to choose it over Mailchimp or Sendinblue. However, when it comes to automation and personalization, Campaign Monitor has some exciting features. Such features can only be useful if you are willing to put in the work. Campaign monitors might be suitable for you if you like such features.
While finding a fully reliable email marketing service can be a rather daunting task, the platforms we have recommended above have excellent features. If one doesn’t suit your needs completely, you can switch to another service and try out its functions. Eventually, you will find a suitable email marketing service that you are comfortable with. Which is your favorite email marketing service out of these three? Let us know in the comments below!