Making your site as visible as possible in search engines is one of the golden keys to capturing the attention of potential visitors. There are several ways to help with that, with rich snippets plugins being one of them.
What Are Rich Snippets and Why Should You Be Using Them?
When you search the internet using an engine such as Google or Bing, have you noticed that some results often have more information than others, such as pictures or ratings? Look at the examples below to see what we mean:
The first result in the above example is just a standard listing with a regular snippet. As the name suggests, a snippet is a description of the website in just a few words. However, you will notice that snippets of the other three contain extra information, namely images and star ratings – these are rich snippets, and they can also include things like locations maps, etc. This additional information can give a website much higher visual prominence in search results.
Recipe sites owners are some of the most significant users of rich snippets. That is not surprising given the fierce competition in that niche, so using every trick in the book is necessary to attract visitors. Of course, that applies to all sites that are in highly competitive niches. However, rich snippets are also helpful in other applications, such as showcasing vacation properties, hotels, and restaurants, where you may want to include reviews, images, and even locations directly within search results.
What Are the Benefits of Rich Snippets?
We’ve already mentioned improved visibility in search results, but rich snippets can also help your site move further up the results page. And we all know that getting high on Google is the best legal high you could ever get. But how do they do this?
Firstly, because sites with rich snippets are more likely to attract clicks than ones without, search engines will see them as more popular. And when it comes to ranking algorithms, popular is an excellent thing.
Next, because rich snippets contain additional information pertinent to your site, search engines are more likely to show them in the correct search results. That will also ensure a better click-through rate (CTR), as people searching for something specific will only be interested in search results relevant to them.
Finally, the additional CTRs resulting from the greater visibility and relevance in search results can bring significant improvements in how your site ranks, simply because Google and Bing will see it as a popular site.
What’s more, the content displayed on Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) enabled sites can benefit from the structured data used to create rich snippets.
How Do I Add Rich Snippets to WordPress?
The data used to generate rich snippets is not actually stored in the meta description – that is where the ‘regular’ snippet data sits. Instead, the extra data is stored in the site’s source code as structured data, also known as ‘schema markup.’
Article Continues Below
If you don’t mind getting into the nuts and bolts of your site and know about coding, you could add the necessary HTML into your pages or templates to generate the rich snippets. However, the easiest (and for most of us, the safest) option is to use a plugin.
Below we detail six of the best rich snippet plugins currently available in 2021. Free and paid options are available to choose from, so you should find one that suits you. Each is compatible with WordPress version 5.8.1 and is up-to-date.
Schema Pro is a premium plugin that uses JSON-LD schema markup to help give you rich snippets with the advantage of not needing to add any new content to your site. It is flexible and easy to use, particularly for those who use custom fields on their sites.
The creators of this plugin are Brainstorm Force, which is probably better known for the immensely popular Astra theme.
Schema Pro costs $79 per year or $240 for a lifetime subscription. For those sums, you get the following features and more:
- Easy setup
- Use on unlimited websites
- Support for over 20 schema types
- Automatic schema data mapping to exiting WordPress data
- Include/exclude display rules
- Custom schema markup tool
- Article guidelines
- 100% ACF compatible
- Live testing of schema
- Compatible with Yoast SEO plugin
- Free online schema markup course and knowledge base
- Updates and support
- 14-day moneyback guarantee
We think Schema Pro offers remarkable value for money given its extensive feature list, making it ideal if you want to add rich snippets to your site but only have a limited budget.
WP Review is a very user-friendly freemium plugin where even the free version gives some great features. Its key strength lies in its flexibility, allowing you to add schema to your website easily. The free version is limited to review type rich snippets only, but the premium ‘Pro’ version adds another eighteen types along with a bunch of other interesting features.
With the free version of WP Review, you get the following:
- Review rich snippet support
- Star, points, and percentage rating systems
- Unlimited color options, including the ability to set global colors
- Configurable default values
- Review shortcodes
- Two pre-made templates
- One custom widget
- Mobile device friendly
- Translation ready and developer-friendly
- WordPress Multisite compatible
- Works with cache plugins
- 24×7 support
WP Review Pro costs $67 per year and will work on any number of sites. It adds a lot of extra features, including:
- 18 additional rich snippet types
- 14 extra pre-made templates
- Ten custom widgets
- Over 45 popup animations
- Support for circle and thumbs up rating systems
- Wide range of customization with an advanced options panel
- Extensive review options, including reviews popups, notification bar, comparison table, pros and cons section, etc.
- Reviews from Google Places, Facebook Page, and Yelp Business
- WooCommerce integration
- Review embed code and shortcodes
- Ability to add a call to action (CTA) button in the review box
- Import and export reviews
- 30-day moneyback guarantee
WP Review is only available directly through the developer, MyThemeShop. We think the free version would be a great place to start adding review-type rich snippets to your site, but if you need other types, the Pro version will not break the bank, plus you can try it risk-free for thirty days.
WP Rich Snippets
WP Rich Snippets is a premium-only plugin that offers similar features and functionality to other plugins like All in One Schema Rich Snippets and WP Review. It allows you to create the most popular types of rich snippets, such as recipes, reviews, properties, and more.
The plugin costs $69 per year for one site, $99 for three, and $199 for unlimited domains. Those plans include:
- Simple, fast setup
- Article, recipe, review, product, organization, restaurant, and software application main schema markup types
- Ability to add metadata such as details, price, address, hours, display, and link post
- Integral reviews widget
- Fully translation ready
- Configure reviews as a rating, percentage, votes, or user aggregate rating
- Extensive documentation
- Free shortcodes add-on
- Updates and support
- 30-day moneyback guarantee
Annual renewals attract a 40% discount on the published rates.
The functionality of WP Rich Snippets is extendable thanks to thirteen premium add-ons. These include things like as WooCommerce reviews, location, call to action, anonymous user reviews, etc. However, being premium plugins, they all need to be purchased. Because the prices of these extensions range from $19 to $78, adding more than one or two can significantly bump up the overall price of this plugin. To overcome this, the developer offers two other plans that include all these extensions: ‘Professional,’ which costs $199 per year, and ‘Ultimate,’ a lifetime plan costing $399 (one-time payment).
WP Rich Snippets is not the cheapest option. Still, if you have some budget to play with, it is worth looking into, especially given that you have the safety net of a 30-day no-quibble moneyback guarantee to fall back on should you find it is unsuitable for you.
Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP
Our first rich snippet plugin is the hugely popular Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP, which has over 80k active downloads in existence and a 4.7/5.0 star rating in the WordPress plugins directory. It boasts over 35 schema types which allow you to add rich snippet schema to pretty much any kind of content. What’s more, it is possible to add the schema markup conditionally, giving you the ability to exclude or include content.
Features of the free plugin include:
- Easy setup using the setup wizard
- Advanced settings including defragment, add-in footer, Pretty Print, MicroData CleanUp, etc.
- Over 35 schema types, including blog posts, local business, web pages, articles, recipes, products, videos, apartment, house, mosque, church, etc.
- Conditional display fields to include or exclude any posts, post types, pages, taxonomies, etc.
- Data type option gives the ability to recognize the content based on the organization or a person
- Unlimited custom post types
- Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) Compatible
- Import data from other schema plugins
- Display Google reviews, create your own review rating box, and post comments
- Schema type blocks in Gutenberg with JSON schema markup automatically added
- JSON-LD Format
Premium plans are available starting with ‘Pro,’ which costs $99 per year for a single site, rising to $499 for ‘Agency,’ which covers unlimited sites. A lifetime plan is also available for $999. All premium plans include the following additional features:
- Fetch reviews from over 75 platforms
- 50 to 500 reviews depending on the plan selected
- Add unlimited schema
- Email schema support
- Knowledge graph
- Compatible with WooCommerce
- Compatible with plugins such as Yoast SEO plugin
- One-on-One Tech and Paywall support
- Documentation, updates, and support
Given its immense popularity and excellent user rating score, Schema & Structured Data for WP and AMP is likely to be a practical, reliable way of adding rich snippets to your website.
kk Star Ratings
kk Star Ratings is a useful free plugin that is perfect for people wishing to add star ratings as rich snippets, such as restaurant or hotel owners. It is super flexible, giving you complete control over the rich snippets. For example, you can choose where the rich snippets are enabled, how often your site can be rated by each user, and much more. You can also put a widget into your sidebar that allows you to show your most popular and highest-rated posts.
Other features of kk Star Rating include:
- Configurable maximum star ratings (5 is the default) in posts, pages, and also custom post types that are publicly accessible
- Structured data supporting google rich snippets
- Widespread coverage of custom hooks
- Wide range of control options page, such as global enable or disable, disable ratings in posts in specific categories, allow guests to vote, etc.
Over 80k active downloads of kk Star Rating exist. The plugin has a user rating of 3.9/5.0. Most of the low scores that have dragged the overall rating down are from some time ago, and it is apparent the developer has addressed the problems which led to those scores.
Overall, kk Star Rating would be a great choice if you just want to add star ratings to your snippets, as you won’t need to invest any money on a plugin that includes lots of features you will never use.
WPSSO Core is not a dedicated rich snippet plugin per se; it is, in fact, an SEO plugin that can generate meta tags and schema markups from your existing and new content. The plugin then uses those to create rich snippets, allowing you to present things like reviews and recipes at their best in search engine results pages.
The free version of WPSSO Core includes the following features:
- Schema markup and meta tag generation from existing content
- Multiple schema type support
- Customizable default values
- Provides complete structured data markup for search engines, social platforms, and messaging apps
- Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) and WordPress multisite support
- Supports over 500 schema types
- Repairs validator errors for Google Search and schema markup
- The plugin can improve the structured data of other SEO plugins
- Compatible with popular SEO, caching, and optimization plugins
The premium version of WPSSO Core starts at $69 for a single site, and this drops to $21 per site if you have more than 25 domains to cover. Those prices are for a lifetime license, so they are one-off as opposed to recurring payments. Extra features provided by the premium version include:
- Twitter Player Card (embedded video) support
- Auto-detection of embedded videos in content text with API support for Facebook, Vimeo, Youtube, Slideshare, and Wistia videos
- Upsize smaller images to comply with the minimum size requirements for rich snippets
- URL shortener
- Customizable default Open Graph and Schema types for posts, pages, etc.
- Customizable post and taxonomy types in the WordPress sitemap XML
- WooCommerce compatible – reads product data and provides complete schema product JSON-LD markup
- Customizable schema options in the document SSO metabox, e.g., creative work, event, job posting, movie information, etc.
- Reads data from 30 third-party plugins and 15 remote service APIs
- 14 free add-ons to extend functionality further
- Lifetime updates and support
- 30-day moneyback guarantee
We think the premium version of WPSSO Core offers remarkable value for money, given the extensive list of features it includes. What’s more, the prices are one-off, so you won’t need to pay each year to get updates and support. Even the free version is very usable, so you could start with that, moving onto the premium version later if necessary.
Over 10k active downloads of WPSSO Core are in operation right now, and the plugin has an excellent user rating of 4.6/5.0 stars.
What is the best Rich Snippets Plugin for WordPress?
There is no single outright winner in the rich snippets plugin stakes as several factors come into play. One of the most significant for most people is budget or rather lack of it. Therefore, we suggest starting with Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP or WPSSO Core, both of which offer great functionality in their free versions, and even their premium upgrades provide good value.
What’s Your Favorite WordPress Rich Snippets Plugin?
Have you already added schema markup to your WordPress website to allow rich snippets to appear in search results? If so, how have you achieved that? Did you do it with a plugin, and if so, was it one of the ones we suggested? What features do you like and dislike about it? And have you noticed any significant improvements in CTR and ranking?
We’d love to hear your experiences in the comments section below.