We are all familiar with how versatile WordPress is and how simple it is to tailor it to virtually any website application. And one of those options is to use it to accept table bookings using WordPress restaurant reservation plugins if you are in the catering field.
In its most basic form, a reservations plugin for WordPress gives you a simple reservations platform that you can use to keep track of table bookings. However, most of the plugins have considerably more functionality than that, allowing you to do things like send confirmations and reminders automatically, or let your customers reserve tables themselves directly through your website.
We will show you eight of the finest WordPress restaurant plugins for capturing bookings that are available today. Best of all, each is available as a free version, but none skimp on functionality. So, let’s jump straight in!
Bookly is not a restaurant-specific booking system; instead, it is a general booking plugin suited to many applications, including restaurant reservations.
With Bookly, your customers will be able to make reservations online from any device, after which they will receive a confirmation by email and SMS. They can also get an SMS reminder of the upcoming reservation.
Key functions of the free version of Bookly include:
- Customizable reservation form
- No limit on the number of reservation forms on your site
- Intuitive admin interface
- Monthly, weekly, or daily calendar admin view
- Customer list management
- The booking list is filterable, sortable, and searchable
- Variable booking slot durations
- Customizable notifications by SMS and email
- Multilanguage support thanks to WPML integration
Bookly Pro costs $89 for an annual license and adds the following extra features:
- More booking form customization options
- Social media logins
- Unlimited staff members, each with individual working schedules – great for managing personnel
- Receive payments through your website
- Extra email notification templates, such as reminders, follow-up messages, birthday greetings, etc.
- Integrates with Google Calendar
- WooCommerce compatible
- Import and export customer lists, including details of bookings and payments
- Integrated analytics for the number of bookings, customers, and payments
- Range of paid add-ons available for further customization
- Future updates and six months’ support
Bookly is immensely popular due to the fact you can use it for so many applications. Over 50,000 active downloads are in operation, and users have scored it 4.1/5.0 stars.
Five Star Restaurant Reservations
Five Star Restaurant Reservations is a hugely popular plugin for capturing reservations for restaurant businesses. It comes from the same developers who produce other catering-related plugins such as Five Star Restaurant Menus and Five Star Restaurant Reviews.
Article Continues Below
The free version of the plugin brings you the following handy features:
- Create your own customized reservation form which is mobile-responsive and works on all device types
- Gutenberg block and shortcodes for adding the reservation form to any page
- Ability to quickly and easily confirm or reject bookings with automatic email notifications to the customer
- Automatic administrator notification by email when a booking request is submitted
- Add or amend bookings directly from the admin panel
- Configurable times and dates for when reservations can be made, with exceptions for holidays, special events, etc.
- All notifications are customizable
- Ability to ban undesirable customers, e.g., abusive or no-shows
- Configurable minimum and maximum party sizes
- Option to require a phone number to secure a booking
Those features should be enough for smaller restaurants. For larger or expanding ones, upgrading to Premium will bring many additional features that will help automate and streamline the booking process further:
- More layout and styling options for greater customization
- Custom fields for things like dietary requirements, special seating requests, etc.
- Greater customization options for emails, including adding your own logo and brand colors
- MailChimp integration
- Export bookings directly to PDF, Excel, or CSV
- Configurable dining block length and maximum number of reservations.
- View bookings page: displays upcoming bookings in the front end and allows check-in of guests as they arrive
- Automatic reservation confirmation
Even greater functionality comes with the Ultimate subscription, which, in addition to the above features, also brings you:
- SMS and email reminders for upcoming bookings and late arrivals
- Accept deposits for reservations
- Table selection and assignment
The Premium version of Five Star Restaurant Reservations is available from $59 per year for a single site, to $299 if you have a chain of up to ten restaurants. The Ultimate version costs $300 per year for one site.
As we’ve already mentioned, Five Star Restaurant Reservations is extremely popular, with over 20,000 active downloads from the WordPress plugin directory in existence and a user score of 4.8/5.0 stars.
WPCafe is much more than just a plugin for capturing bookings. It also includes online menus and an ordering system for takeaways and deliveries, so it could be perfect if you have a restaurant that offers eat-out as well as eat-in dining.
Reservation functionality of the free version of this plugin includes:
- Customizable reservation form
- Single and multi-slot schedule booking
- Seat capacity management
- RTL support form and calendar
- Early and late bookings
- Customizable email confirmations
- Bookings can be created or canceled by customers on the frontend
- WooCommerce compatible
- Integrated online menus
- Integrated online pickup and delivery system
That is pretty impressive functionality for a free plugin. Also available is a Pro version, which is available from $29 per year or $129 for a lifetime subscription. For that, you get enhanced features, such as:
- Display the reservation list in the admin dashboard
- Place automatic date and time restrictions on reservations
- Place the booking form in pages, posts, and widgets
- Option to display and print reservation details
- Widget for restaurant open and closing scheduling
- Day-wise restaurant opening and closing schedule for single or multiple slots
- Booking for special days
- Greater functionality for the menus and takeaway/delivery system
- Support and updates
So, with WPCafe, you can automate your restaurant business for free or for a small amount of money. It scores top marks with users, boasting 5.0/5.0 stars. Over 3,000 downloads of it are active, so it’s a very worthy contender, in our opinion.
Even in its free form, ReDi (short for Reservation Diary) will provide you with a fully automated reservation system for your restaurant with seat availability checked in real-time and bookings confirmed instantly.
The free version of ReDi comes bundled with the following great features:
- Fully automated reservations with availability checked instantly in real-time
- Customizable reservation form with custom fields
- Responsive – works on all device types
- Instant automated customer notifications, including confirmation of reservation upon acceptance
- Admin notification of new reservations
- Unlimited reservations
- A daily email detailing reservations for the day
- Waiting list when fully-booked
For $48 per year, you can upgrade to the strangely named ‘Basic’ package, which is, in fact, the premium option. For that, you also get:
- Display next 24 hours / last 3 hours bookings on any device with data refreshed every 15 minutes
- Multiple daily opening hours
- Configure the maximum number of available seats for online reservation by weekday
- Analytics and statistics
- Customizable email templates for all supported languages
- Booking confirmation emails sent directly from WordPress
- Table assignment with daily notes and internal comments
- Automatic post-visit customer feedback requests
- Export reservations to CSV
- Control access of specific roles
- Configurable blocked time for when reservations will not be permitted
Additional add-ons and extensions are available for many other specific functions. Prices for those are available directly from the developer.
ReDi scores 4.6/5.0 with users, and over 1,000 active downloads exist.
Vik Restaurants allows you to accept table bookings and also orders for takeaway food. That is perfect if you have a seated restaurant combined with a takeaway or delivery business.
With this plugin, you can enjoy the following great features for no charge whatsoever:
- Online reservation and management of tables and function rooms
- Manual and offline reservation capability through the backend
- Maps for a visual, real-time overview of table reservations
- Various options for takeaway/delivery order capture and management, e.g., menus, delivery address restrictions, invite generation, etc.
- Customizable dashboard
- Various widgets
- Opening hour management including special days such as holidays or special events
- Ability to offer discount coupons
- Email notifications of bookings and order purchases
- Multilanguage support
Upgrading to the Pro version costs $99 (one-time payment). However, that will give you much greater flexibility and functionality, including:
- Full backend management of bookings and orders
- Further customization options through widgets and custom forms fields
- Tool to easily create a live map of your tables and rooms
- Management of customers and delivery locations
- Private frontend area for restaurant operators
- Over sixty custom payment gateways
- SMS notifications
- Unlimited interactive menus, products, toppings, and available delivery areas (these are all limited in the free version)
- Automated offers and discounts
- Stock management system to avoid accepting orders for unavailable products
- SVG tables builder
- Customer reviews
- Custom codes to flag reservations and orders, such as in preparation, delivered, paid, etc.
Vik Restaurants is a relatively new plugin with only a hundred or so active downloads in operation. That said, it has already attracted a full 5.0/5.0 star user rating which is highly promising.
Quick Restaurant Reservations
As clearly indicated by the name, Quick Restaurant Reservations makes accepting and managing bookings for your restaurant business fast and simple. Customers can check table availability, and once they have booked, the plugin will automatically send them an email notification.
Other useful features offered by the free version of Quick Restaurant Reservations include:
- Unlimited number of schedules plus the ability to restrict bookings to certain times
- Configure the total capacity, dates, and time frame for different schedules
- Schedules can be opened or closed, enabled or disabled
- Accept an unlimited number of bookings
- Status options: pending, confirm, reject, or cancel
- Manual confirmation of bookings with email notification
- Minimum and maximum party size
- Early and late bookings
- Responsive booking form with confirmation message and form redirect after submission
Please be aware that the free plugin can only be used with one restaurant. If you need to use it on more than one, you can upgrade to “Add-On Capacity.” That costs $59 and expands the plugin’s functionality to include:
- Unlimited restaurants
- Restaurant page with form
- Auto-confirmations switch to manual upon reaching the maximum restaurant capacity or party size
- Set maximum restaurant capacity by the number of seats or tables
- Custom email logo and email address on notifications
- Monthly and daily calendar views
If you need the option to add custom fields to the reservation forms – for example, special dietary requirements – you can do it for $39. That will give you greater flexibility with the forms.
Quick Restaurants Reservations is currently active on over 1,000 sites. Users clearly love it as they have awarded it an average rating of 4.9/5.0 stars.
Like Bookly, while Webba Booking is not specifically for restaurants, it is eminently suited to capturing table and private room reservation bookings as well as managing staff rosters.
The free version offers the following main features:
- Range of customization options for the frontend, e.g., design presets, editable text, etc.
- Responsive to all device types
- Basic mode for a quick and easy booking process, or extended mode with advanced time search
- Hidden or visible (with the option to add user’s data) booked time slots
- Option to hide or redirect form after booking
- Customers can cancel bookings without registration
- Create and manage bookings manually in the backend
- Shortcode builder
- Responsive appointments table
- Booking form appearance preview
- Export to CSV
- Configurable backend access
- Backend customization options
- Administrator approval or cancellation of bookings without logging into the dashboard
- Editable customer and administrator notification emails
- Administrator schedule for the following day
- Compatible with most SMTP mail plugins
- Multilanguage support through WPML integration
Annual plans for the Pro versions are priced from $59 to $189, depending on how many websites you have. Lifetime subscriptions cost between $149 and $569. Those prices add the following features to Webba Booking:
- Capture payments with PayPal or Stripe
- Coupons for discounts and special offers
- Export data to CSV
- WooCommerce integration
- iCal and Google Calendar synchronization
- Notifications and reminders via SMS
- Future updates and support for the license duration
Webba Booking has accrued a very respectable 4.8/5.0 star rating from users, with over 3,000 downloads currently active.
StartBooking is another general booking plugin that is suited to many different applications, including restaurant businesses. As well as accepting bookings, it can also help you manage your staff schedules.
The free version has pretty limited features, but it does allow you to accept payments through your website. That is great where you require a deposit to secure a booking. Key features include:
- Accept unlimited bookings
- Accessible by one administrator
- Limited to one bookable service (which is adequate for most restaurant businesses)
- Google calendar integration
- Ability to accept payments via Stripe
Two paid plans are available: Basic, which costs $25 per month or $240 per year, and Business, which is $75 per month or $720 per year. Not cheap, but they do add lots more functionality which, depending on the plan selected, includes:
- Unlimited appointments and bookable services
- Customizable form fields
- Classes and group bookings
- Advanced availability
- Fully customizable emails
- Advanced reporting (Business only)
- Multiple users (Business only)
- Designated booking rooms, e.g., for function rooms (Business only)
- Priority support (Business only)
- Personal setup and onboarding directly with the developer
StartBooking enjoys a very respectable user rating of 4.6/5.0 stars, and over 6,000 downloads are currently active.
As always, all plugins we have suggested work with WordPress version 5.7.2, and all are up to date.
Which WordPress Restaurant Reservation is Right for You?
All of the plugins we have suggested are available as free versions. As such, if you have no budget available, you can still add table booking capabilities to your website.
The plugins that are designed specifically for restaurant websites will, of course, offer functionality that is tailored directly to the needs of catering establishments.
General booking plugins such as Bookly or Webba Bookings may not be targeted directly at restaurant websites, but they are still helpful in capturing bookings, with the added advantage that they can also help you manage your staff schedules – something that is usually a significant headache for restaurant owners.
What’s Your Favorite WordPress Restaurant Reservation Plugin?
Do you have a restaurant business that accepts online table reservations? If so, are you using a plugin to do that? Is it one of those we suggested, or a different one? Which is your favorite? As ever, we love to receive your feedback in the comments section below.