Looking for the best WordPress registration plugins for your website?
By allowing your visitors to register on your website, you can offer them so much more. For example, you can grant access to areas of the site that unregistered visitors will not see, or you can give them exclusive offers. For you, it is a superb way of engaging and retaining visitors, gather data about them, and you can even collect membership subscriptions. Best of all, adding such visitor registration functionality is easy with a WordPress registration plugin.
Do I Really Need WordPress Plugin for User Registration and log in?
You could get away with the WordPress manual registration function that is already built-in in the platform. However, it is minimal and only suited to basic sites.
Using a WordPress registration plugin, you will be able to easily create a registration, login, and other forms tailor-made to your specific requirements. You can add custom fields and alter the forms’ look to suit your site branding. What’s more, you can automatically assign user roles which will save you considerable time and hassle, plus it will give you complete control over who can access your restricted content.
Useful Features You Might Want To Look For
While the features included with each WordPress user registration plugin varies, below are some which you might want to look out for if you feel they are suited to your particular needs:
- Built-in readymade templates that allow you to quickly and easily create forms
- A broad range of customization options
- Social login capability, whereby users can log in through their social media accounts
- Payment collection tools, which essential if you have a paid membership site
- The ability to create an unlimited number of forms
- The means to control who sees what content, including blocking users if necessary. This is useful if you have a paid membership site with different tiers of membership
- If you are not keen on coding, a drag and drop editor is always a good idea
- Price – if you have no budget to play with, check for the plugins which have free versions which you can upgrade as your site grows
So, here we go with our list of ten recommended WordPress new user registration and login plugins for 2021.
ProfilePress goes above and beyond being a simple user-registration plugin and provides everything you need to create a fully functioning membership website in one easy-to-use plugin.
Unlike others on this list, ProfilePress’ developers sadly no longer offer a free version of their popular tool, but it packs more than enough features to justify the $79 price tag.
Those features include:
- Unlimited user registration, user login, and profile editing forms
- 5 different customizable form templates
- Unlimited user profile pages with customiable templates
- Member directory templates
- Content access and restriction capabilities
- Custom avatar uploads for users
- Automatic logins
As if that wasn’t enough, there’s also a series of add-ons that come bundled into the plugin’s Standard and Plus ($179 per year) packages.
Article Continues Below
- Custom Fields
- Email Confirmation
- Social Logins allowing users to safely and easily login to your profile via Facebook,Twitter, Google, Linkedin, and more.
- Akismet anti-spam plugin
- Join BuddyPress Groups
- Mailchimp integration
- Campaign Monitor integration
- User Moderation
- Passwordless Login
- BuddyPress Profile Sync
- Site Creation
- WooCommerce support
- Polylang integration.
All of this, combined with a very simple to use drag and drop interface for customization helped make this a popular option, with over 4,000 active downloads and counting.
RegistrationMagic is a WordPress user registration plugin that gives you all the tools you need to manage and control user registrations on your website. Even the free version has an impressive array of features that will allow you to create the exact forms you want, for example:
- Create unlimited forms with a choice of two styles with three layout options
- Visual form editor
- Custom fields with drag and drop sorter
- Form analytics
- Auto-email response to users who have completed a form
- User management, including custom user roles and inherit permissions from WP user roles
- Google ReCaptcha support
- Users can log in using their Facebook account
- MailChimp integration
- Payments via PayPal
- Mobile responsive
If you crave even more features, the Premium subscription costs $99 per year and adds:
- HTML where the shortcode is not supported
- 56 custom fields
- Multipage forms
- Field analytics
- Forms for products
- Enhanced security features
- Stripe and offline payments
- Access control features
- Updates and support
A Premium+ package is also available. This covers unlimited domains with a lifetime of support and updates.
RegistrationMagix has over 10,000 active downloads and a decent 4.5/5.0 star rating.
Formidable Forms proudly proclaims to be the most advanced WordPress form plugin. While it’s not for us to judge that claim’s validity, we can say that even the free version has plenty of handy features. Those will allow you to set up your registration, login, contact, and any other forms you need in no time at all.
Some of the main features of the free version of Formidable Forms include:
- Drag and drop form editor
- Easy customization and a visual styler
- Use the built-in forms or create your own from scratch
- Multi-step forms with progress bars
- Conditional logic
- Mobile responsive – create forms that are mobile device friendly
- GDPR compliant
Several paid versions offering different levels of functionality are available. These range from $49.50 to $299.50 per year. Depending on the package chosen, the following additional functionality is possible (list is not exhaustive):
- Over 125 form templates
- Unlimited forms and entries
- Advanced and multipage forms
- File uploads
- Review before submitting
- Payment collection using PayPal and Stripe integrations
- User registration
- Export Tables to CSV
- Form Action Automation
- Integrations with ActiveCampaign, Salesforce, Hubspot, MailChimp, etc.
- WordPress multisite compatible
The WordPress plugin directory reports that over 300,000 active downloads of Formidable Forms exist. Users clearly like it, as it has an impressive 4.7/5.0 star rating.
Easy Registration Forms
Easy Registration Forms allows you to produce any number of forms containing all the fields you need. As well as registration forms, you can make other types of forms that can be as simple or complex as you desire.
Key features of the free version include:
- Unlimited forms and submissions
- Multipage form capability
- Multiple layouts
- Range of field types
- User meta bindings support
- Edit form submissions
- Custom labels
- Form importer
- Offline payment ready
- Responsive, mobile-ready forms
- Drag and drop form builder
- All form submissions viewable in the WordPress admin dashboard
- User management and analytics
The paid subscriptions, which range from $59 to $189 depending on the number of domains, include the following add-ons:
- Conditional logics
- PayPal and Stripe integration
- MailChimp and MailPoet integration
- Submission views
- Import submissions from CSV
- GDPR compliance
Note that each of the add-ons included in the paid subscriptions can be purchased individually and added to the free version, mix-and-match style. This is ideal if you don’t need all of the features that the paid subscriptions provide.
According to the WordPress plugin directory, over 10,000 active downloads of Easy Registration Forms exist, and it enjoys an impressive user rating of 4.7/5.0.
WP Fluent Forms
WP Fluent Forms is a powerful and versatile WordPress form builder plugin. As well as registration and login forms, you can also create contact, subscription, payment, booking, or any other type of form that you may need.
The free version has tons of functionality. It is available for download through the WordPress plugin directory. You can expect to find features like:
- Drag and drop form builder
- Over sixty built-in, ready to use templates
- Smart conditional logic fields for interactive forms
- Google ReCaptcha spam protection on contact forms
- File and image uploads
- SMS and Email notification
- Advanced calculation
- Over fifteen third-party integrations
- GDPR compliant
- Export data to CSV/Excel/ODS or JSON format
- Data visualization tool.
The Pro version includes additional features like:
- More advanced fields (file or image upload, checkable grid, ratings form field, shortcode fields, PayPal and Stripe payments, etc.)
- Advanced form styler to customize and style every element of your forms
- Four pre-defined styles template which adds pre-defined CSS
- Conditional confirmations
- Integrations for Zapier, WebHook, Google Sheets, ActiveCampaign, CampaignMonitor, ConstantContact, ConvertKit, GetResponse, HubSpot – Connect HubSpot, and more
The Pro version costs between $59 to $109 per year, depending on the number of domains.
WP Fluent Forms plugin’s high popularity is evident in the WordPress plugin directory, which states a whopping 70,000+ active downloads exist, and users have given it a noble 4.9/5.0 rating.
WP User Frontend
WP User Frontend locates a dashboard, editor/publisher, and uploader all in your WordPress frontend. This gives you the ability to quickly and easily create user profiles, post submissions, and even memberships.
Even the free version boasts an impressive range of features to help you set up and manage your website’s registration and login process:
- Unlimited forms
- Pre-built form templates and drag & drop form builder
- Subscription capability
- Guest post facility and post-approval system
- Custom post types
- Image support
- PayPal integration
- Shortcode and custom CSS compatible
- Facility to import and export forms
Three premium plans are available, ranging in price from $40 to $150 per year (lifetime plans are also available). Additional features vary depending on the plan selected but can include:
- Advanced Fields
- Profile/registration builder
- Content and menu restriction
- Stripe and recurring payments
- Conditional logic
- Social media login capability
- Up to 18 premium modules
- MailChimp, BuddyPress, Zapier integration
- Campaign monitor
- Email templates
- Private messaging
- Paid membership pro
- Reports including user activity, directory, and analytics
- QR code generator
- Additional domains
- Enhanced support
According to WordPress, users are pleased with WP User Frontend for their forms, as over 30,000 active downloads of the free version exist. Users have given it a very credible star rating of 4.2/5.0. The plugin is regularly updated.
User Registration is a hugely popular plugin with over 60,000 active downloads in existence and a very credible user rating of 4.7/5.0 stars.
Creating front-end user registration and login forms is super easy with this plugin, thanks to its drag and drop fields. It is very lightweight, meaning it is unlikely to slow your site down. Users once logged in, will be able to access a frontend account page where they can edit their profile, change their password, etc.
The free version is feature-laden, and you can expect the following:
- Mobile responsive
- Unlimited registration forms
- 5 form design styles
- Multiple column support
- Email notifications
- Spam protection using Google ReCaptcha
- Shortcode support
- Translation ready
- Form duplication
- Optional admin approval for registrations
- Auto-login after registration
- Frontend profile account page
- Enable/disable strong password
- Default user role selection option and WordPress dashboard access based on roles
The Premium versions add even more features and functionality, including:
- Unlimited other types of forms
- Inbuilt login form with an auto-login option
- Automatic email notification
- User profile page
- Email customizer and verification
- Admin approval of registrations
- Multiple column design and form templates
- 8 or 14 premium add-ons depending on the premium package purchased.
There are three Premium levels, ranging from $69 for one domain per year, rising to $299 per year for unlimited domains. Purchases on any of these subscriptions come with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
Shifting back to plugins that do not require any coding knowledge, Pie Register uses drag and drop to build robust forms specific to your requirements. With the premium version, it is also possible to customize your user registration process so that your site is unique.
Features to look out for with the free version include:
- Drag & drop registration forms builder.
- Mobile device responsive
- Advanced fields including address, profile picture, upload file, list, time and date, user role, etc.
- Admin verification and moderation of registrations
- Membership fee and subscription collection using PayPal
- ReCaptcha spam protection
- Content access restrictions based on user roles or logged-in status.
- Custom email notifications
- Import/export user default data via CSV
- User file upload
- Auto password generation
- Custom redirect after registration and login
- Mobile admin helper app for frequent administrator tasks
The Premium version adds much more functionality, including:
- Unlimited registration forms
- Built-in form themes
- Registration moderation and verification, and registration by invitation only
- Conditional logic
- Enhanced security features such as timed form submission, limited form submissions, CAPTCHA after several unsuccessful login attempts, block IP addresses automatically based on security settings, HCaptcha
- Import/export user and settings data using JSON
- Custom user roles and inherit permissions from WP User roles
- Role-based redirection and user control
- Set widget visibility for specific user roles or login status
- Content and file upload restrictions
- Auto-login following successful registration
- Enhanced support for one year
Premium licenses cost between $39.99 and $59.99, the more expensive ones bundling various add-ons such as MailChimp and WooCommerce integration.
Pie Register has over 4,000 downloads in operation, and on average, users have rated it 4.3/5.0.
Ultimate Member is another plugin claiming to be WordPress number one. The fact that over 200,000 downloads exist does add some credence to that, as does the 4.4/5.0 user rating.
It offers an intriguing range of features that will allow you to quickly and easily create the registration and login form for your membership site. User profiles and roles, member directories, and content restrictions can all be managed through this plugin.
The free plugin, which the developer refers to as the “core” plugin, has the following key features:
- Drag and drop form builder
- Front-end user registration, login, and profiles
- Custom form fields with conditional logic
- User profile/account page
- Customizable user roles
- User emails
- Member directories
- Content restrictions
- Conditional navigation menus
- Ability to show author posts and comments on user profiles
Additional functionality is available by way of the “Extensions Pass.” This costs $249 per year and adds:
- Access to extensions – currently, there are 27 which add WooCommerce integration, MailChimp, social media login, friends, private messaging, ReCaptcha, bookmarks, and more
- Unlimited domains
- Updates and email support for one year
The core plugin will be fine if you are looking for a reliable way of adding registration and login forms to your WordPress site for no money at all. The Extensions Pass is not cheap, but it does add significantly more functionality not offered by many other plugins. A moneyback guarantee means you can try the Extension Pass risk-free for 30-days.
The Profile Builder website proudly proclaims that the “default WordPress user registration and login is no good for modern websites.” Isn’t that the truth?
Profile Builder seeks to redress that by offering an all-in-one profile-building solution for WordPress. With it, you can create frontend user registration, login, user profile, and password recovery forms. Users can easily register and manage their membership on your site while you keep complete control.
The free version is feature-rich:
- Drag & drop reordering of user profile fields
- Email confirmation on successful registration
- Choice of login options
- Customizable minimum password length and strength
- Assignable user roles at registration
- Role editor
- Redirection after registration, login, and edit-profile
- Customizable widget for user login
- Choice of adding CSS, inheriting from the current theme, or using the plugin default
- Choose which user profile fields are visible in the frontend
- ReCaptcha support
- Configurable content restrictions
- Ability to create a private WordPress site that is only visible to registered logged-in users
It is possible to significantly increase functionality by upgrading to either the Hobbyist ($69 per year for one domain) or Pro Version ($149 per year for unlimited domains) subscriptions. These add the following:
- Advanced add-ons: Social Connect, WooCommerce Sync, Multi-Step Forms, MailChimp, bbPress, Campaign Monitor, Field Visibility, Edit Profile Approved by Admin, Custom Profile Menus, and MailPoet (Pro Version also adds BuddyPress)
- Advanced User Modules (Pro Version Only): Front-End User Listing, Add Users on Map, Multiple Registration Forms, Multiple Edit Profile Forms, Custom Redirects, Email Customizer, Repeater Fields
- One year of updates and support
Users of Profile Builder are pleased with the plugin, rating it 4.7/5.0, and a whopping 60,000 downloads of the free version are currently active.
Please note that our list isn’t definitive or given in any particular order of preference. Moreover, all prices, star ratings, and active download numbers were correct at the time of publishing.
What’s Your Favorite WordPress Registration Plugin?
We’ve suggested ten of the best WordPress registration plugins that are currently available in 2021. Are you already using one of these? If so, which one, and why did you choose it? If you are not using one of our suggested plugins, which are you using? What do you like and dislike about it? If you are not using one, are you planning on installing one in the future? Please tell us in the comments below.
The great thing is, so many free versions of these plugins are available, and even the paid premium ones generally have a money-back guarantee. Therefore, trying them is risk-free. Our main advice when choosing any plugin is to check:
- if it is compatible with your version of WordPress and other installed plugins,
- when it was last updated,
- the number of downloads, user star ratings and review comments, and
- if the developer adequately addresses users’ support questions
You should not have any problems with whichever WordPress user registration plugin you decide to install by following that advice.