Searching for the best WordPress quiz plugin? Whether you want to create fun, viral Buzzfeed-style quizzes or you want to create more serious quizzes, you have tons of options to help you out. In this post, we’ve collected the best of the best with our thoughts on the top six quiz plugins for WordPress. We don’t want to give you test anxiety, so let’s jump right into the plugins!
Six Best WordPress Quiz Plugins
Here are the six plugins that we’ll be looking at:
- WP Quiz
- Quiz and Survey Master
- Viral Quiz
- Thrive Quiz Builder
- Quiz Cat
- HD Quiz
WP Quiz is a freemium WordPress quiz plugin from popular developer MyThemeShop, the same team behind the Rank Math SEO plugin.
It focuses on helping you create fun, interactive quizzes that are built to engage your visitors and go viral on social media.
You can create three types of quizzes:
- Trivia quizzes
- Personality quizzes
- Flip cards – lets you compare two images against one another.
You can also use it for more serious types of quizzes, though we don’t think that’s its strong point.
All in all, it’s a pretty flexible option, especially if you upgrade to the premium version. You can view a feature comparison between the free vs Pro version at the bottom of the page when clicking the button below.
If you want to check out some examples of quizzes built with WP Quiz, click here
You can have it for free at WordPress.org. They also offer a pro version if you’re looking for more extensive features
- Single Product – $57 for unlimited sites good for 1 year
- Membership – $199 for unlimited sites as long as the plan is active
With the Pro version, you can require visitors to join your email list or share the quiz in order to see their results.
Article Continues Below
The Pro version also adds other useful advanced features including:
- Detailed quiz analytics
- An option to list blog posts or other post types and let people vote posts up or down (kind of like Reddit)
- Charge for people to reveal the quiz results
- Force people to register for your site to see the results
- Show ads in between questions
- Randomize question or answer order
- Set a countdown timer for individual questions or the quiz as a whole
WP Quiz Pros
- Supports shortcode
- Monitor via Google Analytics
- A bit pricey compared to other quiz plugins out there
- Quiz types are limited
Quiz and Survey Master
Quiz and Survey Master is the most popular free quiz plugin at WordPress.org. It’s a flexible tool that you can use for both serious quizzes as well as more social media-focused quizzes if you want to go viral.
You can use a variety of different question types including:
- Multiple choice
- True and false
- Open answer
- Multiple responses
- Fill in the blank
The core plugin is available for free at WordPress.org. Individual add-ons vary in price between $10-$35. Or, you can get bundles of the add-ons:
- Basic – $99 per year. Good for 1 site with 6 addons
- Plus – $149 per year. Good for 3 sites with 17 addons
- Pro – $179 per year. Good for 10 sites with over 34 addons
You can have one results page at the end or show different results based on a person’s score (which would be useful for personality quizzes).
Some other useful features include:
- Social sharing integrations
- One-page or multi-page quizzes
- Require users to log in to take the quiz
- Limit the number of attempts
- Enable hints or comment boxes for questions
If you need more features, there are also premium add-ons that give you:
- Detailed reporting and Google Analytics integration
- More advanced quiz logic
- A user dashboard for their quizzes
- Integrations with email marketing services
- An option to automatically sync quiz results with Google Sheets
- …many more
You can click here to check out a bunch of demos of the types of quizzes that you can create with Quiz and Survey Master.
- Has a lot of variety of question types to choose from
- Information are dynamic through template variables
- Full control of the questions and text on the survey
- Customization is not user friendly
- Features are very limited on the free version
WP Viral Quiz
As the name suggests, WP Viral Quiz is mainly focused on helping you create fun quizzes that people will share on social media. It’s a good option for Buzzfeed-style personality quizzes, pop culture quizzes, etc.
It’s the best-selling quiz plugin at Envato’s CodeCanyon marketplace, where it’s been purchased over 6,600 times while maintaining a respectable 4.38-star rating on over 285 reviews.
You can use the simple builder to create two types of quizzes:
- Trivia Quizzes – each question has a single “correct” answer. People are scored based on how many correct answers they get.
- Personality Quiz – there’s no single “correct” answer for each question. Instead, the quiz adds up all the person’s answers to give them a personality type.
You can get WP Viral Quiz on CodeCanyon for:
- Regular License – $36 for 6 mos + $11.63 to extend support up to 12 mos
- Extended License – $180 for 6 mos + $58.13 to extend support up to 12 mos
- Create buzzfeed-like quizzes
- Integrates well with WordPress themes
- Create quizzes anywhere with iFrame
- Custom CSS to your customized quizzes
- Questions are randomized
- GDPR compliant options
- Integration with email marketing tools
- Insert ads to the quizzes
- Different languages are supported
- Analytics are available
- Zapier integrated
- The free version is not available
- Quizzes are set to trivia and personality quizzes only
Thrive Quiz Builder
Thrive Quiz Builder is a premium quiz plugin from Thrive Themes, makers of other popular plugins such as Thrive Architect and Thrive Leads. It’s a little more focused on helping you use quizzes to improve your marketing efforts, which shows in the feature list.
For example, like some of the other plugins, it can help you add quiz takers to your email lists. But where it goes a little bit further in that it lets you actually segment people based on their answers. That is, you can add people to different lists based on how they’ve answered your quiz. All in all, if you specifically want to use quizzes as a marketing tool, this one is an excellent option.
This plugin is not available for free. However, you can get it for:
- Yearly – $19/month
- Quarterly – $30/month
- A drag-and-drop editor to create your own custom results pages and badges
- Neat interface that helps you build advanced logic flows to see how everything connects
- A/B test both the quiz landing page and quiz results pages
- Create quizzes in a manner of seconds
- Create questions using texts or images
- You can build complex yet appealing quizzes without the need to know how to code
- The setup wizard is very reliable
- Works only at WordPress
- Support is unreliable
- Quiz styles are limited
Quiz Cat is a simple WordPress quiz plugin from Fatcat Apps. It doesn’t have as many features as most of the other tools, but I think it’s a really nice lightweight option with an intuitive interface.
So if you just want to create some basic quizzes and you don’t need all the bells and whistles, this one can be a good option.
If you want to check out some demos of quizzes built with this plugin, click here.
The free version is available at the WordPress plugins repository. In addition to that, they are also offering Pro plans you can buy:
- Personal – $49/year good for 1 site
- Business – $79/year good for 3 sites
- Elite – $149/year good for unlimited sites
- Add images in both questions and answers
- Customize the results page including social share buttons
- Site visitors are encouraged to enter their emails to view their results
- Quiz analytics
- Facebook Pixel Integration
- Export to Spreadsheet
- Simple and clean interface
- Translate quizzes with the help of PHP filters
- Questions can be shuffled
- Features offered are not much
HD Quiz is another freemium option that you can use to create fun viral quizzes on your WordPress site.
It has a simple builder that lets you create unlimited questions and answers. You can choose from multiple question types (including open-ended questions) and you also have the option to include images in both the questions and answers.
You can use this plugin 100% free
- Mobile and touch-friendly design
- Quiz timer
- Share buttons for quiz results
- Option to set a pass/fail requirement
- Option to randomize the questions and/or answers
- Add links or images to the quiz results
- Add time limit when answering questions
- Creating unlimited quizzes is possible
- Learning curve is present while creating the quizzes
- As it is a free plugin, the features are very limited
The best plugin for your needs depends on what types of quizzes you want to create and how you plan to use them.
If you want the best all-around option that you can use for any type of quiz, Quiz and Survey Master is a great starting point. It’s the most popular free quiz plugin at WordPress.org and the paid add-ons also give you a lot of flexibility.
On the other hand, if you’re specifically looking for viral quizzes, you might want to start with WP Quiz or Viral Quiz, as these plugins are more suited to Buzzfeed-style quizzes. If you’re looking to use quizzes in a more general marketing way, then Thrive Quiz Builder is definitely your best bet. Again, it has advanced features like list segmentation and A/B testing.
And if you’re just looking for a simple free option to create some engaging quizzes, check out Quiz Cat or HD Quiz. Do you have any questions about picking the best WordPress quiz plugin for your needs? Ask away in the comments!