Love them or hate them, popups are helpful because they get results. Finding the right popup builder is no joke; you only want what’s best for the business. That’s why you need the best WordPress Popup Plugin to keep your business growing.
Popups are pretty annoying and sometimes distracting. But did you know that it is an effective way to get more subscribers and sales on your website? Popup equals possible conversions.
There are a plethora of WordPress popup plugins available to help you boost conversion rates.
However, most of them would either slow down the website, have misleading figures, or, in the worst-case scenario, both.
Now, if you’re looking for the best WordPress popup plugin to use on your website, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll compare the most common WordPress popup plugins on the market so you can figure out which one is the best for you.
But before we dive deeper, let’s look at some of the features to consider in determining whether a plugin is ideal for you.
Features to consider
Popup plugins come with various features, such as customization, screen view positions, and built-in analytics, but targeting and trigger options are the most critical factors to look for.
- The popup’s targeting refers to where it will appear on your website and to whom it will be revealed.
- Triggers are the actions that the user must take for the popup to appear. Page entry, scroll depth, clicks, time on page, and exit intent are common trigger choices. Including a few popup forms on your WordPress site may assist you in capturing more leads.
Let’s cut the chase and take a look at the 10 Best WordPress popup plugins to help you find a tool that makes a difference for you and your team.
The 10 Best WordPress Popup Plugin of 2021: Overview
- OptinMonster – Best Popup Plugin ever built used by 1,000,000,000+ WordPress sites
- MailOptin – an excellent polugin for lead generation, email automation and newsletters.
- Elementor Popup – WordPress page Builder with Popup capability
- NinjaPopups – A well-known and simple popup plugin
- Bloom – Best Native Popup Plugin
- Sumo – Best Free WordPress Popup Plugin
- Thrive Leads – A perfect Bloom alternative and another popular plugin
- Popups – Basic and free Popup Plugin
- Icegram – A Freemium Plugin
- Popup Builder – Over 100,000 websites use the WordPress popup builder plugin.
- Popup Maker – Freemium WordPress popup plugin used by 300,000+ sites
OptinMonster is the best popup plugin on the market. It’s a stand-alone product and a Software as a Service (SaaS), which means you can integrate it on a variety of website platforms, including WordPress, Joomla, and HTML. OptinMonster has all the features you’ll need to grow your e-mail list.
- Advanced targeting: You can target visitors based on their time on the site, their interactions with the site, their interests, physical location, and other factors.
- Exit intent: You can convert visitors into leads and customers by displaying a targeted campaign as they are about to exit your site.
- Ease of Use: It features a powerful drag-and-drop form builder that makes it simple to use. You can either use a pre-made prototype or create your own.
- Speed: It doesn’t affect the speed rate of the website.
- Strong Support System: Optin customer service frequently goes above and beyond with a quick response time.
- Tracking: Create Google Analytics goal.
- Popup Templates: Choose from pre-build Popup or build your own.
- Campaigns: Create beautiful Popup campaigns.
- No free option: OptinMonster has no free version.
Article Continues Below
MailOptin is a reliable user-friendly popup and form builder. If you’re looking for an easy way to create popups, subscribe forms, and user registration form, this plugin is definitely worth looking into. With an intuitive form and template builder, MailOptin makes it easy to create popups and forms. It offers features that make your popups highly converting including Exit Intent, Scroll Trigger, 2nd Page View Display Option, and more. The plugin currently has a five start rating and over 30,000 active installations on WordPress.org.
- Free: It has a free version available with multiple advanced features
- MailOptin has a responsive plugin design that makes it user-friendly.
- Intuitive and powerful form builder
- Easy built-in A/B testing feature that lets you make data-driven decisions
- Multiple display options that you can add to your pop-up windows
- Advance analytics with actionable reporting & insights
- Extensive knowledge base
- MailOptin plans can be more expensive than other brands
How much does MailOptin costs? MailOptin’s Standard Plan costs $79 a year for a single-site license, Pro Plan costs $199 a year for 3-site license, and the Agency Plan costs $299 a year for license to 25 sites.
Elementor Pro is a famous drag-and-drop WordPress page builder with popup support. It’s a good choice if you want many design choices and a visual builder that’s easy to use. It also offers an advanced targeting option. There are over 100 stylish popup templates to choose from if you want to build popups quickly. You can also use Elementor’s 100+ content widgets and make as many popups as you like for your website.
- Advanced Targeting: It can trigger a popup after a certain number of page views or sessions.
- A Page Builder Add-on: It is helpful if you are already using Elementor as the site builder.
- Easy to Set Up: Ready-made templates are available with 100+ designs. Use 100+ Elementor content widgets and create unlimited popups for your website.
- Flexible: Extremely easy to design. Popup customization options for factors like size, position, behavior, etc.
- Integration: Connect to e-mail for marketing services.
- Popup Analytics: It is hard to track the actual rate of open and closed popups.
Ninja Popups has a visual drag-and-drop builder that you can use to create your popups. You can either make it from scratch or use one of the 76+ pre-made popup themes. It excels in several areas, including animation. It also provides built-in analytics and A/B testing, as well as a Google Analytics Event monitoring integration, allowing you to track data in Google Analytics.
- Active Developer: Ninja popups are modified regularly to fix any bugs and introduce new features.
- User interface: Create forms visually using a drag-and-drop builder.
- Animation: Animate your popups with hundreds of different results.
- Analytics: Use their built-in A/B testing feature.
- Mobile ready: For phones and tablets, popups look fantastic.
- Targeting: Their targeting rules are very basic. They lack geo-targeting, UTM targeting, and other advanced targeting rules found in OptinMonster.
- Limited campaign options: Ninja Popups is exclusively based on popups. They don’t offer floating bars or other forms of promotions to help you increase conversions.
- Customization: Ninja Popups does not allow you to build custom HTML forms, so make sure your service provider is compatible.
- No Free Version: There is no free version of this product; you must pay to use it at all.
How much does NinjaPopups cost? For $26, you get access to their drag-and-drop popup creator, which comes with over 70 templates and animation effects.
Bloom is an easy-to-use and user-friendly popup plugin. It is one of the most widely used plugins that allows you to create beautiful popup forms right from your WordPress dashboard. It offers over 100 fantastic templates for creating email optin forms on your WordPress professional site.
Popups, fly-ins, and inline optin forms are among the six display types available. You can also hide your content by using an optin form.
- Built-in Templates: Bloom includes six different display types, such as optin popups and optin fly-ins, among others. It also provides 115 pre-made templates from which to choose, so you save time creating a form from scratch.
- Dashboard: Bloom provides a custom panel in the WordPress dashboard that provides a detailed report on Bloom accounts, lists, optins, conversion rates, and data.
- A/B testing: Split testing allows you to compare your form’s performance, allowing you to determine which one is the most effective.
- Visual Customizer: There is no visual customizer available. To see the changes you made to your form, you’ll need to press the preview button.
- Speed: Bloom’s use on your site can cause it to load slowly.
- Limited Features: Although it contains the most critical features, it lacks many of the more valuable elements found in OptinMonster, such as canvas popups and exit-intent triggers. There are only a few simple targeting options available.
How much does Bloom cost? It has two pricing options, yearly access for $89 per month or lifetime access for $249 per month.
Sumo is more than just a popup plugin for WordPress. It helps you grow your email list, increase your social networking, and provide analytics tools like heat maps and scroll boxes. It’s another valuable tool for making popups on your website. It’s a standalone app, similar to OptinMonster, that you can integrate with your WordPress site and add popups.
- Free: It has a free version available.
- Pre-designed templates: If you upgrade to the premium edition, you’ll have access to a library of pre-designed templates that are customized to your objectives.
- Traffic-based Popups: You can display customized popups based on the visitor’s traffic source.
- Traffic Limit: Sumo’s pricing is dictated by the amount of traffic your website gets. Popups do not always appear if your site receives a lot of traffic if you use the free plugin.
- Limited Features: Sumo is a multi-purpose platform that isn’t just for expanding the email list. It lacks some list-building features and few targeting options as compared to other popup plugins.
- Expensive: Sumo might not be a good fit if all you need is a simple popup plugin. The price starts at $39 a month, making it more expensive than other popup plugins.
How much does Sumo cost? Sumo is available to download for free. It also has premium plans that start at $29 / month.
Thrive Leads is a plugin from Thrive Themes that helps you create a mailing list. Like OptinMonster, it includes advanced optin forms, including 2-Step Yes/No options, content locking, screen filler overlay, sticky ribbon, and more.
- Payment: You are not obligated to make a monthly payment. You can download the plugin for a one-off payment.
- Advanced analytics: It gives you in-depth information about your list-building activities and conversion rates.
- Trigger Option: Limited, misses out on powerful triggers like geolocation targeting, InActivitySensor, etc.
- Heavy Plug-in: Thrive is quite heavy that it may affect WordPress performance and slows it down.
- Usability: There is a slight learning curve to deal with. Even for seasoned WordPress users, getting started with Thrive Leads can be challenging.
How much does Thrive Leads cost?: The price ranges from $67 to $147. Alternatively, you can enter their membership scheme for $19 a month and gain access to all of their items.
Popups is a free WordPress popup plugin that can help you improve conversion rates. It enables you to show multiple popups to attract social likes, display a subscription form, and show a cookie notification. It comes with a variety of popup styles and trigger conditions. The plugin helps you to put popups in five different locations on your website. It also has many display filters. You can configure the popup to appear only on specific blogs, articles, or other items. You can also filter users from search engines, users who have never left a message, users who came from another page on your site, and so on.
- Frequency: Returning visitors can see the popup after a certain number of days, which you can easily configure.
- Customization: Color, typography, background, border, and background opacity for each popup can all be customized.
- Filterable popups: You can use the filter option to target popups to particular users based on comments, page visits, search engines, or user roles.
- Compatibility: WPForms, MailChimp, Jetpack, and other common WordPress plugins are compatible with this Popup plugin.
- A/B testing: This plugin, unlike OptinMoster, does not support A/B testing. You must upgrade to the premium edition if you want this feature.
- Customer service: There is no support available for the free version of the plugin.
How much do Popups cost?: This plugin is freemium (meaning you can download it for free).
Icegram is a basic popup type plugin for WordPress. It enables you to create attractive option and call to action on your website, converting visitors into subscribers and customers. It’s a new solution that allows you to build popups and email options to expand your email list. It’s more than a popup form maker.
- Free: Icegram is free of charge. It’s a free plugin that allows you to create options and popup forms right from your dashboard.
- Traffic Limit: There is no traffic cap, so you can increase your email list regardless of how much traffic your site gets.
- User interface: The user interface is challenging to use and not very intelligent. Because it lacks a drag-and-drop creator, even a simple website popup type can be challenging to create.
- Limited targeting: This approach only offers simple targeting, such as time-based targeting, so there aren’t many choices to help you get more conversions.
- Unappealing built-in templates: Because it’s a free solution, the templates are unattractive, and this might suppress the growth of your email list.
How much does Icegram cost? This plugin is available for free from the WordPress.org storehouse.
Popup Builder is a WordPress plugin that allows you to create modal popups. It has unique scroll popup options, which means that the popup will appear when users scroll down your website. It will enable you to create an infinite number of popups, each with its animation effects, themes, and customization. You can generate a warning sound with Popup Builder to alert guests.
- Free: The plugin includes a wide array of free features.
- Multisite Network: Popup Builder plugin is compatible with the WordPress multisite network and can be used on all of your subsites.
- WPML Compatibility: WPML (WordPress Multilingual) compatible, and you can add popups in any language you want.
- Builder: The plugin works with popular drag-and-drop builders like Divi and Visual Composer to help you create optin popups quickly.
- Social popup: If you want to get likes on your social media accounts through optin popups, you’ll need to upgrade to a premium version.
- Exit: The free plugin, like Popup Creator, does not have an escape or exit popup.
- No refund: There is no money-back guarantee.
How much does Popup Builder cost? It is available for free download.
Popup Maker is a popular WordPress popup plugin that is available for free. Lightbox popups, sticky pop ups, slide-in popups, notification popups, and other optin popup forms are available, just like OptinMonster. It helps you to customize the theme and location of your optin popup fully.
- Free: Popup Maker is a free plugin that you can install and use on your WordPress blog. It has many valuable features.
- Form building plugins integration: It’s simple to integrate with WPForms, Contact Form 7, and other popular form builders.
- Conditional targeting: Just like with any other powerful popup plugin, you can use conditional targeting to track where your popup appears. It allows you to target any WordPress material, such as pages, messages, and comments.
- Triggers: You can apply a click-based trigger to navigation menu items, buttons, images, sidebars, and other components. When using auto-open triggers, you can also add a time delay.
- Exit intent: This feature isn’t free. It’s a paid add-on.
- Popup analytics: In the free edition of Popup Maker, you can’t see your optin popup campaigns’ analytics.
- Advanced targeting: You’ll need to buy an add-on if you want to use advanced targeting conditions.
How much does Popup Maker cost? It is available for free, but they also have an add-on price that starts at $35 each.
What’s your favorite WordPress popup plugin?
If you’re ready to add popups to your website, you’ll need to install a WordPress plugin to make the process even simpler.
If we consider the benefits and drawbacks of each plugin listed above, we can conclude that OptinMonster tops it all!
It is by far the best popup builder for WordPress because you get several excellent features under a budget. In terms of efficiency and versatility, it’s unrivaled. You’ll thank yourself for deciding to invest in a premium WordPress popup plugin because your email list is a vital part of your online business.
But if you are tight on budget and still want to infuse popup capabilities, you may try the freemium (free) ones like Sumo, Popups, Icegram, etc. They all have their pros and cons, and it is up to you to assess which one fits your needs better.
That’s it for now. We hope that this list of the best WordPress popup plugins has helped you find a solution that meets your needs so that you can grow your email list and increase your online sales.