Do you own a WordPress website rich with images, videos, audio, and other media libraries? Or Are you planning to build such kind of WordPress site? Then you need to organize all of your media so you can upload on your site efficiently.
WordPress stores everything in the media library, and eventually, it becomes disorganized with the increase in media files. Further, you will also have difficulty locating the files. How can you cope with this?
Thankfully, various media library WordPress plugins came to your rescue. But what are WordPress media library plugins? They are tools that enhance or upgrade the features and functionalities of the default media library installed on WordPress. Functions like creating folders, tags, & categories, editing or deleting files in bulk, and more are available to keep your media files organized.
In this blog, we have researched & curated some of the best WordPress media library plugins and how they can revolutionize the way you manage your website’s media content. So, let’s dive into the world of WordPress library plugins and discover how they can help you streamline your workflow and take your website to the next level.
20 Best WordPress Media Library Plugins in 2023
There are lots of WordPress media plugins available. To help you decide on the right one, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite WordPress Media Library Plugins.
1. Post Table Pro
Posts Table Pro is a unique approach to a media library plugin for WordPress. It isn’t a file organizer in the traditional sense; rather, it is a table plugin that can assist in the creation of tables on almost any topic in WordPress. The plugin provides shortcodes with more than 50+ options for the same.
Make a list of your files and folders, as well as posts, photos, pages, headers, and everything else on your website. Then, in a table on a page, order them rationally. It’s a unique approach, but it has the potential to be effective.
You can present various categories, custom fields, media content such as images, videos, audio using one or more tables. Besides this, you can also create a document library, member library, audio library, etc. It also ensures that the tables get updated whenever the content is added or changed.
- Logical navigation and an intuitive UI
- Setup and installation are straightforward.
- The process of making a table is extremely simple.
- The plugin uses AJAX lazy loading to ensure that a high volume of content gets uploaded efficiently.
- It helps you create SEO-friendly tables. Thus, it improves the visibility of your content in search engine results.
- You can offer a quick navigation table for your posts using the plugin.
- It offers limited options to customize the style of the tables.
- The plugin doesn’t offer an advanced level of filtering or searching.
- There are chances of potential conflicts with different themes.
- It is a file manager plugin.
- There is no free version.
- Starter plan with a single site – $79 per year
- Business plan with five sites – $139 per year
- Agency Plan with twenty sites – $299 per year
2. WP Media Folder
WP Media Folder is one of the best WordPress media folder plugins. Joomla Developers frequently updates this powerful, versatile WordPress media management tool, adding new features and tweaking existing ones to give you even greater control and flexibility over your media content.
Article Continues Below
At its core, the plugin offers a very intuitive interface through which you can organize your vast media library into a hierarchy of folders and subfolders, all via drag-and-drop.
WP Media Folder doesn’t just help you organize your images behind the scenes; it also enables you to define how you present your media via beautiful photo galleries and a PDF embed feature, making it one of the best all-in-one media tools around.
The plugin lets you sort your media library using various filters and search options. It also allows you to efficiently add, delete, or update any media on your WordPress website. You can also remove the watermark from the images and download any media files according to your needs.
- Allows you to organize and use photos stored on third-party services such as Dropbox, Google Photos, and AWS.
- The plugin integrates remote videos on YouTube, Dailymotion, and Vimeo.
- It works effortlessly with Elementor, Gutenberg, Visual Composer, WooCommerce, and Divi.
- Improve user experience with features like drag-and-drop file uploads, batch file management, and media filters.
- It offers comprehensive documentation and support, with a knowledge base, FAQs, and a ticketing system.
- Some features only available as an add-on (paid for separately).
- No free version.
- It affects the website’s performance if not configured well.
- The plugin might not be compatible with several WordPress themes & plugins.
- WP Media Folder Plugin with Support & Updates – $49 for 1 Year
- WP Media Folder Plugin + Addons + Support & Updates – $69 for 1 Year
3. Real Media Library
It is the WordPress best media library plugin. It helps in the administration of media files. It offers a drag & drop interface to move any of the files into the respective folders efficiently.
It supports three main types of folders. These include normal folders containing files, excluding galleries, galleries with media files, and collections folder containing only the data.
It allows you to create, rename or delete any of the folders. In addition, you can create shortcuts for the folders. Moreover, folders have a tree view to help you locate files efficiently.
The plugin comes in two versions: free & paid. The paid version lets you look after a big, resourceful website with thousands of media assets. Lastly, this media library WordPress plugin allows you to import various categories & folders from plugins, such as FileBird, WP Media Folder, Advanced Media Library, and more.
- This WordPress library plugin is straightforward, and you can quickly learn how to use it.
- If you’re a programmer, they’ll let you write add-ons and make your plugins compatible with theirs.
- This plugin works with the most popular website themes and page builders, including Visual Composer, Gutenberg, WPBakery, Elementor, etc.
- The plugin supports cross-browser compatibility.
- It enables smooth navigation between folders along with a quick search option.
- It offers customizable layout options to display your media files in different ways, like a grid, table, or list.
- The advanced features are only available in the pro version.
- It can cause performance issues if not configured correctly.
- Regular License – $39
- Extended License – $195
FileBird is a free media library organizer for WordPress sites. The plugin has both free and paid versions. Both versions come with a wide range of features. It is easy to set up and allows you to manage thousands of images and other media files.
It uses techniques that include creating virtual folders incorporating the WordPress media library. It also enhances your media library with native icons, clean UI, smooth drag-and-drop function, advanced sorting, and organization.
You can create as many distinct folders as you want using FileBird, including primary and subfolders. The plugin offers a smart context menu that allows you to create, rename, cut, or delete folders just like you do on your computer. It can also download an entire folder in a single ZIP file keeping the same folder structure.
This plugin has a resizable sidebar that gives you control over WordPress media library folders.
- Compatible with other WordPress plugins and themes.
- It provides you with complete control over your data.
- The plugin supports RTL languages like Arabic, Hebrew, and more.
- Limited features & functionalities are available in the free version.
- Free Version
- Regular License – $39
- Extended License – $199
5. Media Library Assistant
Another WordPress media library plugin with the versatility to deal with your media docs is the Media Library Assistant. This plugin uses shortcodes to handle documents, allowing you to easily upload media files to your site.
The plugin can add metadata to your media files, such as captions, descriptions, and keywords. Hence, it becomes easier to search for and find specific media files later on.
It’s a WordPress plugin that’s both free and open-source. You can undoubtedly shape the presence of pictures since it allows you to alter scientific categorizations. With everything considered, it is simple to utilize a media plugin.
Furthermore, its features and functionality are more reliable and beneficial for any WordPress site.
Overall, this media library WordPress plugin is a powerful tool for anyone who regularly works with media files in WordPress. It can save time and effort and make it easier to organize and manage your media library, which is particularly helpful if you have a large number of files to manage.
- It allows you to have complete control over the look.
- It’s also possible to bulk-update taxonomies by adding, removing, or changing them.
- The plugin has an advanced gallery shortcode that simplifies adding images and other media files.
- It also supports a number of different languages.
- The plugin integrates well with Jetpack and other WordPress plugins to include slideshows, thumbnails, animations, and more in the gallery.
- The user interface is a little out of date.
- This plugin is available for free.
6. Enhanced Media Library
Enhanced Media Library is a free plugin with a more complex setup process involving settings for assigning taxonomies and other options.
It appears to be highly similar to the native WordPress media library feature at first glance. The category feature, however, distinguishes it from its competitors. You get media categories for categorizing and filtering media assets as soon as you install the plugin.
So, if you’re looking for a specific infographic, you can use the category search to find it, and the Enhanced Media Library will find it for you. Besides this, it allows you to show or hide metadata, reorder files with a drag-and-drop, and more.
It also allows you to use shortcodes and create playlists and slideshows, which can help you showcase media more effectively.
- There are no limits on the number of categories and tags you can use for media products.
- Create unlimited custom taxonomies and integrate third-party taxonomies whenever needed.
- Plugin settings allow you to manage filters in a flexible and simple manner.
- Show captions for each media item: title, filename, or caption field.
- After a one-time creation, the gallery/playlist based on a category, tag, or date does not require any updates.
- Advanced plugin features are only available in the paid version, which could be a drawback for users on a tight budget.
- It might not be compatible with various WordPress themes & plugins and affect the performance.
- Free version available.
- Pro version for $25 with lifetime license.
7. WP Media Manager
WP Media Manager Lite is one of the best WordPress media folder plugins. It is easy to use and enables you to manage thousands of media files present in the folder structure. You can create as many folders and sub-folders with the help of using its drag-and-drop functionality and sort media content whenever needed.
The plugin gives you the option for ordering and filtering media files. It enables you to build a beautiful media gallery with the help of a responsive theme or using a media gallery shortcode extension.
It also offers a premium version with a range of features & functionalities. In the premium version, you can display media files in three ways: grid, list, and masonry view. It allows users to find specific media files based on the file type, date, keyword, and other criteria. Besides this, the premium version comes with a lot of great features.
- Simple to set up and utilize.
- There is nothing to configure.
- Simple file management and categorization.
- Improved search.
- It is responsive, touch & retina ready.
- Extensive documentation helps developers get started easily.
- At times, the search process can be slow.
- Previous versions have been harmed as a result of some upgrades.
- It has a free version. The premium version costs $25 to $40, based on the level of support you need.
A WordPress administrator is usually in charge of not just their own portfolio and personal blogs but also their customers’ websites. That is where Filester enters the picture. It is a plugin consisting of all the premium features available in highly advanced file manager plugins in the market.
It gives you direct access to all WordPress configuration files from the admin panel. Whether you need to diagnose a bug, make a CSS modification, or transfer your files, Filester’s sophisticated context menu has you covered.
It also has a built-in advanced code editor to manage the entire code. The plugin allows editing media files using tools like Photopea and TUI Image Editor.
Lastly, the plugin supports many languages, including English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, and more. It also supports RTL languages like Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, Kurdish, etc.
- It’s completely free and has drag-and-drop functionality.
- The plugin works with archives such as .ZIP,.RAR, and others.
- Other users may meddle with your settings if you haven’t set up user role permissions in File Manager.
9. File Manager
The File Manager plugin for WordPress is one of the most powerful, simple, and adaptable file management plugins on the market.
This WordPress library plugin allows you to edit, delete, copy, paste, zip, upload, and download files and folders directly from the WordPress backend.
Admins can move or copy single or multiple files from one location to another with a drag-and-drop feature. They have the power to decide which files can be downloaded and uploaded. Also, they can choose when the file should be uploaded. They can also extract files in archives in different formats like zip, tar, rar, and gzip.
It consists of an inbuilt IDE to edit and check the code syntax. Moreover, you can share any files instantly via email.
The plugin also has a pro version with a wide range of features. These include shortcode, private folder, code editor fullscreen view, and more.
- Simple controls and a great-looking UI.
- There are a variety of file kinds that may be used.
- Cloud storage and GitHub are two optional supplementary extensions.
- Some important features are only available to premium subscribers.
- In reviews, there have been several reports of viruses and hacking.
- Pro Plan – $25 for a single site
- Developer – $99 for ten sites
10. Media Library Categories
The option to build and use taxonomies in the media library is now available with Media Library Categories. In the media library, a drop-down menu of categories will display, from which you may choose your categories. It’s also possible to update the categories of existing items in the media library, as the plugin allows for bulk category modification.
By default, the plugin utilizes the same categories as your WordPress posts and pages, but you may override this with a line of code in your theme’s functions.php file. You may showcase photographs from any category in a gallery manner
by using a shortcode.
- Categories can be added, edited, or removed from media items.
- Bulk actions let you modify the category of a large number of objects all at once.
- The Media Library’s category selections and management.
- In the media library’s Taxonomy filter, you may filter by categories.
- The plugin has a limited number of features.
- The plugin is free, but you may upgrade to a premium version for $20.
11. Advance File Manager
Advanced File Manager is one of WordPress’s most robust and user-friendly file manager plugins. Whether you are a techie or not, you can access this file manager easily. The plugin allows you to edit, delete, upload, download, copy ZIP, etc., without needing the cPanel and FTP. You can also access all the files inside or outside the WordPress root directory.
The plugin lets you preview files like PDF, video, audio, image, etc. It also lets you create or extract any ZIP file using the Archives feature. You can also utilize various types of shortcodes and keyboard shortcuts to access multiple features effectively.
Several most notable shortcode features are private folders, hiding files, controlling user operations, and more.
- It’s quite simple to grasp.
- The ability to preview files is quite beneficial.
- An image editor is also useful.
- Ability to set any country language in shortcode.
- Some of the most impressive features are only available in the paid version.
- The plugin also offers a free version. Besides this, the plugin costs $14 for a single website and $49 for unlimited websites.
12. Wicked Folders
Wicked Folders is the best way to keep track of a lot of pages and custom post kinds. By allowing you to arrange your information into folders, the plugin makes content administration easier. Wicked Folders does not change the permalinks or hierarchy of your content, allowing you to organize your pages, articles, and custom post kinds any way you like, regardless of your site’s structure.
The WordPress media folder plugin offers a drag-and-drop feature to reorganize folders efficiently. It also allows you to bulk move items to folders, assign items to multiple folders, clone folders, search folders without any hindrance, and more.
One of the most impressive features is dynamic folders. With this feature, you can filter pages, browse pages, or custom post types depending on the categories.
There is also a pro version available of the plugin. The pro version lets you organize media, users, plugins, gravity form entries & forms, TablePress tables, and more.
- It’s simple to use and comprehend.
- Posts, pages, files, and directories are all supported.
- The features of WooCommerce might be the deciding factor.
- It allows you quickly find & manage the content. Thus, suitable for managing multiple websites
- Media library management is only available in the premium version.
- Doesn’t function with some plugins that aren’t mentioned on the Wicked Folders website.
- The interface of the plugin is somewhat confusing for users who aren’t familiar with WordPress or website management.
- Limited features are available in the free version. You need to buy a paid version to get additional features.
- Wicked Folders is available in three versions: free, $49, and $149.
13. Media Library Folders
It is one of the best WordPress media folder plugins that allows you to organize your uploads into folders and drag and drop them around. You can also easily rename files and regenerate thumbnails for one or multiple uploads (useful if you switch your WordPress theme). You can also sort all of the files by name or date.
Uploading media is one advantage of WordPress Media Library Folders over other approaches that may interest extensive WordPress sites.
With the plugin, you may arrange files and send them to an FTP server, Amazon S3 Bucket, or DigitalOcean Space. This feature is only available in the plugin’s premium version and is restricted to 3,000 photos. You must pay an extra cost, which is more than the plugin’s pricing, if you wish to upload more photos.
- The user interface is simple and straightforward.
- You have the ability to design and execute your own organizational structure.
- Compatible with Advanced Custom Fields and Enhanced Media Library Allows you to easily add media to posts and pages.
- Backup, import, or export the media library as per the requirements.
- It’s a little confusing because it generates its own folders.
- There is no free version available.
- Starts from $49 and goes up to $149
Do you struggle when it comes to optimizing the images present on your WordPress site? Moreover, optimizing when there is a bulk of images becomes tough. Surprisingly, you can rely on Smush, the leading image optimization plugin for WordPress.
Smush is a robust and user-friendly WordPress plugin that enables you to compress & optimize existing images or any images you will upload on the WordPress website without reducing the quality. Using the plugin, you can reduce the file size of your images, making them load faster and improving your website’s overall performance.
The WordPress media library plugin has two versions, free and pro. The free version allows you to optimize bulk images instantly. However, there is a condition that the image size should be up to 5 megabytes. Apart from this, the plugin utilizes Lossless compression to reduce image sizes.
The pro version comes with some of the best features like automatic image resizing, optimizing unlimited images, reducing the file size of images without affecting the quality, creating a backup of original images & restore them anytime. Another essential feature is WebP conversion. Here, the plugin converts your images to the WebP format, an image format that loads faster than traditional formats.
- The plugin is easy-to-install and utilize.
- It is compatible with the majority of WordPress themes and plugins.
- Smush can optimize files like PNG, JPEG, and GIFs as needed.
- The primary benefit of Smush is that it can quickly identify incorrect image sizes.
- It can reduce the image size in bulk efficiently. Thus, it saves a lot of your previous time.
- The free version has limitations regarding the total images that can be optimized instantly and the size of the image.
- Smush might not work well with specific plugins & themes. Therefore, testing the plugin and installing it for your WordPress site is necessary.
- It has a free and paid version. The paid version plans start at $60 per year for a single website and $140 per year for 20 websites.
FooGallery is a highly versatile WordPress media gallery plugin that allows you to create stunning galleries for your WordPress site within a few minutes. For the same, the plugin offers pre-built themes and drag-and-drop functionality to build a gallery for your website efficiently. Moreover, all the pre-built themes are responsive, and you can customize them as per your requirements.
You can split the extensive galleries into pages using the gallery plugin for fast loading times. The plugin also integrates well with the lightbox plugins like FooBox and Lightbox Plus.
Besides this, various other features are available in the free version, such as caption customization, border customization, custom CSS, password protection, and more.
The plugin has three pro versions. Some of the best features in pro versions are gallery layouts, advanced effects, video support, tag filtering, multi-level filtering, gallery search, dynamic galleries, advanced pagination, etc.
- The plugin has a user-friendly and intuitive interface that allows you to create & manage image galleries.
- It offers various gallery layouts, hover effects, and pagination styles.
- Integrates well with popular plugins like Yoast SEO, Rankmatch, and more to enhance the functionality of your store.
- Limited customization options.
- It doesn’t have phone support. Moreover, the documentation is not up to the mark.
- FooGallery can impact your website’s performance, especially if you have many galleries or high-resolution images.
- Free. The price of the monthly plan starts for a single site starts from $5.99 per month and goes up to $9.99 per month. The price varies for a year and lifetime plan.
16. Folders by Premio
Folders by Premio is a leading WordPress media gallery plugin that allows you to organize all the pages, posts, and media files in folders. It offers a drag-and-drop functionality to move files from one folder to another and perform various other actions.
The plugin helps you to keep all of your media files organized. These files could be videos, images, blog posts, etc. You can also give a unique name to the folders or mark a star. You can also upload any photos, media, posts, etc., and push them to the directories to remain safe.
The best thing about the plugin is that it offers keyboard actions to make any website corrections effectively. It allows you to perform a vast number of tasks in bulk, like sorting folders, deleting files, uploading files, and more.
The plugin also has a pro version. It has some of the best features, like a download media library, lock folders, auto rename files, and more.
- Instantly drag-and-drop files into folders.
- Intuitive and customizable Folders UI.
- Compatible with almost all WordPress plugins and offers extensive documentation.
- Check essential metadata details such as file size, date, title, dimension, etc., just by hovering over the file.
- It offers various crazy colors for the folders.
- It might have some performance issues with large media files.
- The plugin provides limited features in the free version.
- The paid version is available on an annual basis, and it is expensive.
- It has a free version.
- The price of the paid plans starts from $49 per year and goes up to $179 per year. It further varies depending on your requirements.
17. Media File Renamer
In general, various media files on your WordPress would be stored using a cryptic string of characters. Hence, it becomes really challenging to find the particular media in urgency. As the name suggests, the plugin enables you to automatically rename and move files directly from the dashboard, individually or in bulk.
The plugin takes the title of the posts, removes any symbols or punctuation, includes dashes between the words, and declares it as the new file name. The plugin also gives you the power to control the renaming of files. It enables you to toggle the option to turn on & off renaming for media files.
The plugin also has a pro version. It offers additional methods for auto-renaming of media files. Besides this, it provides various other features like synchronization metadata, force rename, etc.
- Simple and easy to use. You can rename files with just a few clicks.
- Making your file name more descriptive and relevant helps search engines understand your content effectively.
- It allows you to track every action you have performed.
- It helps you to replace anonymous files with the original files.
- It is compatible with various WordPress features & plugins.
- There is a risk of errors when renaming media files, mainly if the plugin is not used well. It results in broken links and other issues on your website.
- The plugin provides limited features in the free version. To access more features, you need to purchase the pro version. It might be costly for website owners who are on a tight budget.
- It has a free version.
- The price of the pro version starts from $29 and goes up to $99 per year. The price varies based on your requirements.
Have you been fed up with large images and bloated files that consume a lot of storage space and slow your page speed? Then don’t worry; Imsanity can help.
It is an excellent WordPress media gallery plugin that helps resize and compress images on the WordPress site. It instantly resizes files depending on the size and dimension of the image. The free WordPress plugin also offers a bulk-resize feature to resize earlier uploaded images and free up disk space with just a click.
Here, you don’t have to worry about the large image size the contributor uploads on the WordPress site, as the plugin automatically shrinks the image to the standard size.
- It allows you to set the height & widget of the images and JPG quality before resizing them.
- The plugin also compresses images to reduce the file size, making loading easier and quicker.
- Convert BMP and PNG files to JPG format.
- It offers various built-in scaling options.
- The plugin provides only basic image resizing and compression features and lacks advanced features like batch processing.
- It doesn’t offer a feature to resize images from the cloud.
- Automatic resizing can decrease image quality if compression is set too high.
- It is a free plugin.
19. Enable Media Replace
As the name suggests, Enable Media Replace is a free, lightweight WordPress plugin that allows you to replace old media files with new ones.
Generally, replacing a media file in WordPress is a tiresome task. You delete a file and then upload one with the same format and name. Enable Media Replace saves you from this.
The plugin provides two simple ways to replace the file. Firstly, you can upload a file of the same type, and the attachment name remains the name. Secondly, replace the file with the new name and update the links. By doing this, all the links to the current files will now point to the new file.
- The plugin is simple to use and requires no technical knowledge or coding skills.
- Replace the background of the images from the media library.
- Shortcode helps to modify the date.
- There is the possibility of errors if you accidentally replace the wrong file, which could lead to broken links or missing media on your website.
- It might not be compatible with several WordPress themes & plugins.
- No official support is available. You need to rely on forums and other mediums for support.
- It is a free plugin.
Organization of media for your WordPress site is essential. But what is the use of organized files if the media files hold much of your space? Optimole is the ultimate WordPress plugin that satisfies all your image optimization needs. Due to its automation and other great features, the plugin cleans up your heavy images and bloaty pages.
The plugin leverages algorithms and instantly finds the most suitable version of an image to load. It considers various things like screen size, internet connection, image format, and device type.
The two most valuable features of Optimole are its in-built CDN and lazy loading. Besides this, the plugin offers features like cloud library support, retina support, smart cropping, no content shifting, adding watermarks, etc.
- Simple & modern UI.
- Instantly serve the optimal image size, quality, and format depending on the visitor’s browser & device.
- The plugin works well with Gutenberg and other popular page builders.
- Serves WebP images whenever required to enhance site speed.
- Image quality may be reduced in some cases.
- It may not work properly with several other optimization plugins.
- It has a free version.
- The price of the paid version starts from $27.02 per month and goes up to $128.62 per month. The plugin also offers two month trial if you go with a paid version.
Now that we’ve gone over all of the good options for managing your media library, you can make your own decision and make your own choice so that your page progresses to the next level in the business.
However, managing your media files allows you to track how much space they take up. Because we all know how much space photos, movies, and other media assets take up in the library. As a result, it is strongly advised that everything be well handled and arranged.
After using one of these WordPress media library plugins, users and employers will be pleased with how your site looks and how quickly you’ll be able to add content and create galleries in some cases. Just keep the criteria in mind until you own the WordPress site so that you can serve and arrange your files with the more professional plugin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use instead of WP Media Folder?
WP Media folder is a plugin that allows you to build folders within your media library using drag-and-drop functionality. Besides this, the plugin lets you categorize, organize, and access your files at your convenience.
Here are other alternatives to WP Media Folder that help you achieve the same things.
- Folders by Premio
- Media Library Organizer
- Media Library Categories
How do I organize a media library in WordPress?
The best way to organize a media library in WordPress sites is to utilize media library WordPress plugins. Several well-known media library WordPress plugins are:
- Real Media Library
- Media Library Assistant
- Enhance Media Library
- Media Library Categories