Searching for the best WordPress mapping plugin to display maps from Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps, or other services?
Maps can be a really useful tool to have for all kinds of sites. You might want to create a simple single-location map to show where your business is or you might want to display multiple location markers to create a store locator, show off your travel destinations, and more.
No matter why you want to create a map, you can probably find a great mapping plugin to help you get the job done.
But because mapping plugins are such a popular need, you can find dozens and dozens of plugins, which makes for a complicated search. Wouldn’t it be great if you had a map that pointed you right to the best mapping plugins?
That’s what we’ve done for you! We’ve rounded up the ten best WordPress mapping plugins in 2021 and beyond.
We won’t keep you waiting – let’s get right to the plugins…
Mapify is one of the most flexible and powerful WordPress map plugins, which is why it earns the first spot on our list.
You can use it to create single-location maps as well multi-location maps with your own customizable markers.
When you add map markers, you’ll be able to customize the colors and design of the marker icons themselves. Then, you can also include lots of additional information when a visitor clicks on the map marker. For example, in the marker popup, you can include descriptions, images, video/photo galleries, phone numbers, external links, Yelp reviews, and more.
To help visitors browse all the location markers, you can add custom search and filter options. You can also draw your own polygon and polyline shapes on the map, such as mapping out the route for a custom tour that you offer.
Article Continues Below
All in all, it’s just a really flexible option for use cases like:
- Store locators – let shoppers view all of your physical locations.
- Product locators – show a list of stores that carry your products.
- Travel and tours – show the destinations and travel path of your own travels or the tours that you offer.
- …plenty more! You probably have your own unique use case.
Beyond what we’ve covered so far, some of the other useful features include:
- Map clusters to show a numbered cluster if you have multiple location markers in the same spot.
- Option to link blog articles to maps (great for travel blogs).
- GPS location on supported devices.
- Bulk CSV upload to add map markers.
- Multiple map styles.
- Built-in social sharing to let visitors share map locations on social media.
If you want to see Mapify in action, you can check out the popular Gone With the Wynns sailing blog, where they use Mapify to show all the land and sea locations that they’ve traveled to.
- It’s one of the most flexible and customizable options.
- You can use it for advanced use cases like store/product locators, tours, and more.
- You get a lot of options for customizing your map markers and you can even link them directly to WordPress content.
- The premium version is more expensive than most other map plugins.
Price: Mapify has a limited free version called MapifyLite. Then, the Pro version starts at $19 per month or $193 per year.
or check out our review on Mapify.
WP Google Maps
WP Google Maps is one of the most popular WordPress map plugins at WordPress.org, where it’s active on over 400,000 sites.
Despite the name, this plugin can help you add both Google Maps and OpenLayers Maps according to your preferences.
When you add a new map, you’ll get lots of flexible options even in the free version:
- Display a single map marker or add unlimited map markers as needed.
- Choose from nine different map themes.
- Add polygons and polylines/routes to your map.
- Customize the map size, e.g. full-screen.
- Choose from different map types for roadmap, terrain, satellite, or hybrid. It also supports Google Maps street view.
With the free version, you can only create a single map. But if you upgrade to the paid version, you’ll be able to create unlimited maps and also unlock other advanced features including the following:
- Add links, descriptions, and images to your map markers. You can also organize them with categories.
- Display custom field information in your markers.
- Customize the map marker, like using your own icons.
- Add a list of map markers beside the map.
- Let visitors ask for directions and choose their map starting point.
- More advanced store locator functionality.
If you only need a single map, the free version is a great option. And if you need multiple maps, the paid version unlocks a lot of flexibility.
- WP Google Maps includes lots of advanced features for multi-location maps.
- Despite the name, it also supports OpenLayers maps if you don’t want to use Google Maps.
- The free version only lets you create a single map.
Price: There’s a limited free version at WordPress.org that lets you create a single map. The paid version starts at $39.99 for use on up to three sites and lifetime updates.
Hero Maps Premium
First on our list of mapping plugins for WordPress is the Hero Maps Premium. It provides full customization options for your map plugin to create an interactive and beautiful-looking website. Serving its purpose comes with an option to make your map plugin fixed or in full-width.
Hero Maps Premium also has the drag and drop feature for a better customization feel. When you want a cleaner and professional vibe, this map plugin offers tabbed filtering for marker groups where you can display multiple marker groups at once. You can also choose the map skin to coordinate it with your website. These features are pleasing to look at, and they can be easily accessible by your visitors. On top of that, this map plugin is also responsive. If you are looking for map plugins you can customize at your heart’s content, give this plugin a try.
- Drag and Drop builder for convenient customization
- CSV mapping location upload
- This plugin also categorizes markers into group for a more organized look
- The features it offers may not be suitable for beginners
- This plugin doesn’t import KML files
- It doesn’t support migration for databases. It tends to break the plugin itself
- Regular License – $20.63 + $5.63 to extend support up to 12 months
Toolset is an all-in-one solution for working with custom content on WordPress, including custom post types and custom fields. You can use it to create an event website, a real estate listing website, a local business directory, etc.
Where it becomes a really powerful WordPress map plugin is that it lets you take all of your custom content and display it on a map. This opens up a lot of possibilities…
- If you have a real estate listing site, you can display a map view of the locations of all the listings.
- If you have an event website, you can display a map that shows the locations of all the events.
- If you have a local business directory, you can show a map that shows the locations of all the businesses in your directory (or just the category of businesses that people are looking at).
- …you get the idea.
Toolset is not the right plugin if you just want a simple solution to embed a map from Google Maps (though it actually can do that – it’s just overkill for that use case). But if you’re working with custom content and you want a way to automatically display that custom content on a map, then Toolset is definitely one of the best options for your needs.
Toolset is a suite of plugins. You get one plugin to create custom post types and custom fields, another plugin to design the templates for that custom content using the block editor, and then one to take everything and display it on a map.
In terms of mapping solutions, Toolset Maps supports both Google Maps and Azure Maps, so you can use whichever provider you prefer.
- Toolset is a full suite of tools for working with custom content on WordPress, so it can do a lot more than just maps.
- You can dynamically display custom post types on maps, which makes it a great option for dynamic sites (like real estate listing sites or directories).
- Toolset isn’t a good option if you just want to embed a basic map and you aren’t working with custom dynamic content.
Price: Toolset starts at $69, which gets you access to all components (including Toolset Maps).
MapPress is another popular freemium interactive map plugin for WordPress. It supports both Google Maps and Leaflet Maps according to your needs.
The free version lets you create unlimited maps and map markers, which makes it one of the more generous free versions out there. The free version also includes support for directions.
Then, if you upgrade to the premium version, you’ll also get access to more advanced features such as:
- Search and filtering for markers. Great for store locators.
- Query WordPress content for your map by post type, author, tag, category, taxonomy, or custom fields.
- Automatically generate maps based on custom field content.
- Show a list of map markers next to the map.
- Custom location markers.
- Marker clustering.
- The free version still lets you create unlimited maps/markers.
- The Pro version lets you create dynamic maps by querying WordPress content.
- The default design is pretty basic (if you’re doing more than just showing a map, like including a list of location markers).
Price: The free version of MapPress is available at WordPress.org. The Pro version starts at $49.95 for use on a single site.
Elementor is a popular WordPress page builder plugin, rather than a dedicated WordPress maps plugin. However, it does include a dedicated maps widget, which makes it a good option if you’re considering or already using Elementor to design your site.
For basic maps, you can use the built-in Google Maps widget, which is available in the free version of Elementor at WordPress.org.
For more flexibility, you can also find lots of third-party Elementor add-ons that include more advanced map widgets. Here are some examples:
- Stratum has an advanced Google Maps widget that allows for multi-location maps with custom markers.
- Ultimate Addons for Elementor offers an advanced Google Maps widget that allows for custom markers and multi-location maps.
You can also find plenty of other Elementor add-ons with map widgets via a quick Google search.
Overall, if you’re using Elementor or you’re interested in using Elementor, you probably don’t need a separate WordPress map plugin for basic use cases as you can already get everything done with Elementor.
You can learn more about Elementor in our full Elementor review.
- You can customize your maps without leaving the Elementor interface.
- You can include your maps in more advanced designs because you’re working with Elementor.
- This approach obviously isn’t a viable option if you aren’t using Elementor and don’t have any plans to.
Price: Elementor offers its Google Maps widget for free, though it does have a premium version called Elementor Pro. The third-party add-ons might cost money.
Advance Google Maps Plugin for WordPress
Another mapping plugin on our list is the Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress. As the name implies, this plugin is much ahead of the regular Google Maps we use. This plugin offers a wide variety of features based on your needs or preferences. Like any other mapping plugin, it also provides customization services to display your map at its finest.
You can create icons and legends easily by simply drawing shapes and changing their color, so visitors know exactly where the specific location is. Another feature you can tweak is the map skin to make it more pleasing to the eye and display filters so visitors can easily access the information needed to a location within a specific time. It’s also best to provide buttons above or below the map so you can provide a brief introduction about that place. May it be a lease apartment, or best beach to go to, or restaurants around the corner, it’s all up to you on how you’ll use these features.
- Integration with BuddyPress, Gravity Forms and AirTable
- By using the CSV files, importing and exporting is possible
- Users can display their WordPress posts related to that location
- Very poor support
- They didn’t notify customers when there’s an update
- The program is not working on mobile phones
- Regular License – $59 + $20.25 to extend support up to 12 months
- Extended License $125 + $37.50 to extend support up to 12 months
10Webs Google Maps
10Webs Google Maps adds to our list of mapping plugins for WordPress. You can experience some of its features by using the free version. Like any other map plugin in the market, it also offers unlimited maps and markers, responsive maps for smooth access to any screen size and shape, map skins and themes to match your website’s appearance.
This plugin also comes with polyline and polygon layers, Google Maps transit layer, and traffic layers. If you are looking for more features to leverage your plugin, purchasing the premium plan will do. Another tool and feature available on the premium plan is the directions tool, where you set your locations while enabling possible routes and alternative ways from its location to a specific point of destination. In that way, visitors can find another way to go to that destination. Also, create lists of markers to help your site visitors locate markers based on categories. Many other features are unlocked on the premium plan.
- For the free version, you can use any maps and markers you need, unlimited.
- This plugin supports any map type, may it be a road map, traffic map, satellite, terrain and hybrid.
- Importing and exporting your maps from one to another is available by using the .xlsx format
- If you’re digging for more tools and features and on a tight budget, the free version will not suit your needs as it only offers limited services.
- Plugin is buggy
- User interface is complicated to maneuver
- Free or you can choose to avail the premium plans here
- Basic – $30 6 months update and support for 1 domain
- Standard – $45 1 year update and support for 3 domains
- Advanced – $60 1 year update and support for 30 domains
- Plugins Bundle – $100 + over 58 premium plugins and extensions + 1 premium google extension good for 6 months update and support for 30 domains.
As the name suggests, Leaflet Map helps you create interactive maps using LeafletJS with map tiles from OpenStreetMap or MapQuest.
It uses a shortcode system for creating maps, which might not be the most user-friendly option if you’re a casual user. But if you feel comfortable working with shortcode parameters to customize your map, Leaflet Map is a really solid free option that lets you:
- Add one or more customizable location markers.
- Display popup messages when a user clicks on a marker.
- Add lines and shapes to the map.
Overall, I wouldn’t really recommend Leaflet Map to casual, non-technical users. But if you’ve been around the WordPress block and feel comfortable with shortcodes, it’s a really neat option and a good alternative if you don’t want to use Google Maps.
- It’s 100% free.
- It doesn’t force you to use Google Maps.
- It’s lightweight.
- The way that Leaflet Map uses shortcodes to customize everything might feel a little overwhelming for casual users.
Price: 100% free
Interactive Geo Maps
In addition to our growing list is the Interactive Geo Maps. If you are a business owner, a real estate agent, or even a travel blogger, this mapping plugin for WordPress serves its purpose. As the name implies, it is an interactive map that caters to the needs of its user. You can easily tailor every aspect and feature of this plugin to transform it into a useful and interactive plugin. For the free version, this map plugin offers 10+ different map projections, changes the color of the countries on the map to differentiate them from one another, and changes the colors of the markers. To use other features such as displaying contents outside the map, globe projection, external dropdown box where you can search and select, and render shortcodes, you can check out its premium plans here.
- This plugin provides live filter
- Over 200 maps of the countries are available of use
- Serving great visuals but still lacks optimization
- You need to avail the plan to fully make use of its features
- Monthly – $3.99 ($47.88 per year)
- Annually – $29.99 ($2.49 per month)
- Lifetime – $79.99 one time payment
Google Maps Easy
As you can probably guess from the name, Google Maps Easy is focused on helping make Google Maps…well, easy.
With that being said, I actually think the name is a misnomer because I personally don’t find it to have the most user-friendly interface. But it is still pretty easy to use and includes a lot of advanced features to let you customize your maps.
With it, you’ll get:
- Unlimited maps and location markers.
- Customizable map marker icons – choose from a built-in library or upload your own icon.
- Map marker cards that let you add a description, images, videos, email addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Directions, including alternative routes and route esteps.
- Custom shapes with polygons and polylines.
- Custom map styles/themes.
- Support for different map layers.
If you don’t want to use Google Maps, the same developer also offers a separate plugin called Ultimate Maps that offers a similar feature set but lets you use different mapping alternatives including:
- Bing Maps
- Leaflet Maps
- There’s a free version.
- It’s pretty flexible in terms of the types of maps that you can create.
- The developer offers a similar plugin that supports lots of different map engines beyond Google Maps.
- The interface isn’t super user-friendly despite the name.
Price: Google Maps Easy has a limited free version at WordPress.org. To unlock all of the features, the paid version starts at $46 for use on a single website.
Interactive World Maps
Interactive World Maps is a neat plugin if you want to display more informative maps of the entire world of geographic regions, rather than map embeds with one or more location markers.
For example, if you have a travel blog you could create a map that shows the entire world and highlights the countries that you’ve visited (rather than just dropping a location marker like you would with other mapping plugins – though you can also do that).
One neat thing is that you can link map markers directly to WordPress content. Going along with the travel blog example, this would let you not just show your travel destinations on the map, but also link them directly to your content on that location.
Overall, if you’re interested in creating maps of the world or certain continents, countries, or states, this is a nice alternative to trying to embed street-level maps from Google Maps or other sources.
This is why it’s one of the best-selling maps plugins of all time at Envato’s CodeCanyon marketplace, where it has over 15,000 sales and a solid 4.61-star rating on over 560 reviews.
- It’s one of the few options that focuses on this type of “world map” rather than embedding a more Google Maps-style map.
- It has built-in information for geographic areas even down to the state level.
- You get lifetime updates with your purchase.
- There’s no free version.
- It’s not a great option for simple single-location maps.
Price: $29 with lifetime updates for a single site.
Maps Widget for Google Maps
Maps Widget for Google Maps, as the name implies, is yet another free mapping plugin for WordPress. It offers simple and generic options and settings in a map plugin. If you are only looking for a map to insert as a widget and don’t offer any complex tools and tweaking to do, then the free version will do its purpose. But if you want extensive features to explore, then go for the PRO version. The price that you’ll pay will be worth it for the number of features you’ll get.
- Options to tweak the Google Map thumbnail
- Offers only the generic Google Maps Widgets option
- Take note that for the free version, shortcodes are not allowed and you can only put it on widgets, as the name implies.
- Again, another plugin where you need to purchase the premium version to unlock all of the features.
- Free to use. If you’re not satisfied with the features on the free version, you can always upgrade for the PRO version here
- PRO Personal – $29 per year good for 1 site
- PRO Personal Lifetime – $39 one time purchase, good for 1 personal site
- PRO Unlimited Agency – $79 one time purchase good for unlimited sites
Map Block for Google Maps
Map Block for Google Maps is one of the simplest map plugins on this list. Instead of adding its own interface, it just gives you a dedicated map block that you can use in the native WordPress block editor (hence the name!).
When you’re working in the block editor, you can insert a map by adding the Map block. Once you add the block, you’ll get a new settings area where you can add the address that you want to display and configure a few other options, like its height and width.
You can also add a Google Maps API key – once you save the API key in one map block it will automatically apply to all your other map blocks.
Overall, this is a nice simple option if you just want to embed a map with a single location marker and you’re using the WordPress block editor.
- It’s super simple.
- It works in the native WordPress block editor.
- It only lets you create single-location maps.
- It lacks the advanced customization options that other WordPress map plugins give you.
Maps Marker Pro
Are you looking for a mapping plugin for WordPress that allows you to customize every element’s appearance and functionality at a high level? If you’re tech-savvy, then you’ll like Map Markers PRO. This plugin provides robust advanced options that will create the most dynamic and interactive map plugin.
Meet your website’s needs with its vast catalog of customization settings. If something happened while tweaking this plugin, their support is fast and reliable so you don’t need to worry about it. You can also create a QR code that you can use when offline, and a lot more other features to enhance your interactive plugin.
- Supports WPML & Polylang
- GPX Tracks
- API integrated
- Using of the free version is not ideal anymore as it has no support and lots of bugs and issues
- Pro version has a heavy memory usage
- Free or avail its PRO version here
- Personal – € 39 for 1 year good for WordPress site
- Plus – € 99 for 1 year good for 5 WordPress site
- Professional – € 249 for 1 year good for 25 WordPress site
Google Maps CP
Google Maps CP is an addition to our growing list of mapping plugins for WordPress. It allows users to insert Google Maps into their website and WordPress templates. Like any other map plugin, it has a free version and a premium version. The free version has the basic functionality and settings that you can apply to a map, like creating lots of markers within a specific location, customizing markers, showing markers within the same category, and inserting maps in your preferred areas on your website. Other features will be unlocked once you purchase the premium version.
- Combine multiple Google map points in every posts or page
- The free version includes basic features only. You need to purchase the premium version to unlock all of its features
- The free version UI needs improvement
- Get it for free or purchase the premium plans here
- Professional Version – € 19 one time payment
- Developer Version – € 49 one time payment
Inserting a map plugin on your website lets you consider things. An interactive map must be of high quality, and responsive. If you are paying for these features, then give Mapplic a try. It is a premium mapping plugin for WordPress that is vector-based that focuses on floor plans and geographical maps. It is a powerful plugin that optimizes vector maps for a better experience for site visitors. You can upload and use your vector drawings to create an interactive experience.
You can also create maps for RPGs, video games, and other fictional places. It depends on your needs. And like any other premium mapping plugin, it also has the customization at its fullest, unlimited. Convert your vector images into a dynamic experience.
- Make and geographical guides with its responsive and interactive maps
- It provides touchscreen feature for a better vision when zooming in and see everything around the place
- The user interface is not for everyone because of its complexity
- Regular License – $46 + $15.38 to extend support up to 12 months
- Extended License – $230 + $76.88 to extend support up to 12 months
WP Store Locator
As the name suggests, WP Store Locator is a WordPress map plugin that’s specifically built to help you create a store locator.
You can use it to show your own store locations or you could display the locations of stores that stock the product that you sell.
You’ll be able to add unlimited store locations and also include extra details like phone numbers, descriptions, opening hours, emails, etc.
Then, shoppers will be able to view a list of all store locations next to the map and also search and filter as needed to find the locations that they’re looking for.
Other advanced features include:
- Driving directions to stores.
- Marker clustering.
- Geolocation API to query the current location of a user and show them nearby stores.
There are also premium add-ons to give you:
- A search widget to let visitors search using a widget on any page on your site and see the results on the store locator page.
- Statistics so that you can see which locations generate the most interest (you can even track searches for places where you don’t currently have a location, which would give you valuable insight into where you’re not meeting demand).
- A CSV manager to bulk import/export store locations.
- It’s 100% dedicated to store locators, so it includes unique features for that use case.
- It has some unique add-ons, like the statistics add-on to track interest in certain areas.
- The free version is pretty generous.
- Because it’s focused on store locators, it’s not a great option for other use cases.
Price: The core WP Store Locator plugin is available for free at WordPress.org. The paid add-ons cost $19-$39 each, depending on the add-on.
Vector maps are a trend in mapping plugins as it allows to see a greater amount of details and information on a specific demographic location. If maps are vector-based, it earns a leverage value because of the amount of information that it provides. If you are digging into this type of feature on a mapping plugin for WordPress, then include MapSVG to your list. This plugin uses 100+ vector maps which will convert your simple map into a dynamic one. You can also combine your Google Maps with your vector maps. This complexity creates a more functional and effective map plugin for your website.
- Turn any vector file into a map with interactive features
- You can add statistics from your maps such as demographics
- The user interface is not optimized for beginners
- Regular License – $49 + $16.50 to extend support up to 12 months
- Extended License – $225 + $75 to extend support up to 12 months
What’s your favorite WordPress mapping plugin?
Overall, the best mapping plugin for WordPress depends on your needs and budget.
If you’re after flexibility, our top pick is Mapify because it’s the most flexible and best-looking plugin out there. Of course, it’s also the most expensive, so you get what you pay for!
Or, Toolset is also a great option if you’re working with custom content and looking to display that content on a map.
If you’re looking for a simple and/or free option instead, all of the other plugins are great choices as well. Most of them offer free versions, so we recommend trying them out and seeing which one you prefer, as they all have different interfaces.
Still have any questions about these WordPress mapping plugins? Let us know in the comments section!