On the lookout for the best WordPress activity log plugins in the market? If so, this article is for you.
What do you think is the most important component of a website? Performance? True, performance is critical. However, security is at the top of the priority list. While WordPress security evolves, it’s critical to maintain monitoring and testing the security measures you’ve implemented to uncover any flaws or areas that need to be improved. You can continually audit all activity on your site with the proper tools to nip any security concerns in the bud.
With the help of the WordPress Activity Log plugins, you can increase your site’s security in this situation.
In this article, we compiled plugins that can help you monitor the activities on your websites.
But first, what exactly is a user activity log?
Keeping track of user activity is a wonderful method to figure out what they’re up to and how they’re utilizing a network and computer resources.
Collecting data from the perspective of a user’s identification or login is also an excellent method to correlate a variety of data, such as client or workstation activity, network and server access, and application use. This is a one-of-a-kind chance to make use of Log entries capacity to match and aggregate data from different sources, with user ID serving as the connecting thread.
What are the benefits of a user activity log?
There are a few reasons why keeping track of user activities in a log is beneficial. Here are the following benefits of using a user Activity Log Plugin:
- Large volumes of data may be accumulated at any level of monitoring. The objective of any user activity monitoring software should be to discover and filter meaningful data that can help with data security.
- User activity logs can assist identify misuse and decrease the risk of malware infections or data breaches by detecting improper behaviors. It also aids in lowering the cost of compliance while providing insight for bettering security measures. Finding the core reason for a malfunction isn’t always easy, and it takes a lot of time and work. You can pinpoint the actions that occurred shortly before the website issue with the help of a WordPress user activity log.
- You can quickly notice and analyze unusual user behavior if you have appropriate protocols in place. You may also see whether employees are uploading sensitive data to public clouds, using non-approved services and applications, or participating in any other dangerous behavior while on the company’s network or resources. User activity tracking software may also assist ensure that employees do not take any of your company’s private data with them when they leave the office.
- You can avoid illegal access that can significantly damage, if not totally eliminate, a security plugin’s efficacy.
- If you have many website users, you can monitor whether each person in a collaborative workplace is completing their job. You can verify that each user is completing what they need to, to the standard that they are expected to, by monitoring the user log. Furthermore, in the log that something goes wrong, the user activity record shows who is directly accountable.
What to look for good activity log plugins?
In general, the more information that your activity log plugin can track, the more helpful its logs will be. Some activity log plugins just capture occurrences, but not the information that goes along with them. The log’s value for addressing technical and security concerns is severely limited as a result.
It’s also preferable to locate an activity log plugin that’s simple to use, doesn’t require any pre-configuration, and works right away after installation.
Sucuri safeguards your website from hackers and viruses. Actually, it operates in layers to keep any security risks at bay. It includes a cloud proxy firewall that intercepts all of your traffic before it reaches your hosting server. It includes a detailed WordPress activity record and monitoring, as well as immediate email alerts for major changes as they occur.
Article Continues Below
It offers a lost logins function that maintains track of all of your website’s logins. You may also see who is presently signed onto your website by checking your admin users’ logins. It also reveals prohibited users and failed login attempts. This will give you a heads-up on any potential threats before they occur.
- If a malicious script is uploaded to your site, you will be alerted.
- It also maintains track of the plugins that have been installed, enabled, and deleted on your site.
- All user sessions, login/logout activity, and modifications to your WordPress posts and pages are recorded by the plugin.
- The number of functions available is restricted.
- Some small company plans have exorbitant pricing.
- Scanning a webpage might take some time.
- Basic Plan – $199.99/per year
- Pro Plan – $299.99 per year
- Business Plan – $499.99/ per year
WP Activity Log
WP Activity Log is a comprehensive monitoring log plugin. It is also the only WordPress activity log plugin that maintains track of all file modifications on your WordPress websites and multisite network. When a file is added, updated, or deleted from the WordPress website, the plugin will keep track of it. The WordPress file integrity checker may also be customized to your liking.
It comes with its own trigger builder, which allows you to create even the most complicated triggers. You may set up your own email notification triggers so that you are notified by email whenever a certain event or change occurs on your WordPress website.
A variety of filters are also included in the plugin to assist you to fine-tune the search results. With hundreds of thousands of events in the WordPress activity log on busy websites, you’ll need a text search capability to locate what you’re searching for, especially if you’re troubleshooting a specific WordPress issue or conducting forensic work.
- It keeps track of users, sessions, changes, plugins, and anything else that happens. It can also keep track of modifications made to other plugins.
- For certain occasions, you can send SMS or email notifications.
- Compatibility with third-party applications
- For further protection, logs can be exported to another location.
- An upgrade to the premium version is required to get access to some of the plugin’s advanced features, such as fully adjustable quick notifications, integration settings, and so on.
- Enterprise Plan – $199 per year
- Business Plan – $149/ per year
- Professional Plan – $139 per year
- Starter Plan – $99 per year
Simple History is an activity log plugin that adds a tab to the WordPress dashboard where you can see all of the content updates, comments, widgets, users, user profiles, unsuccessful logins, menu changes, and a variety of other things.
- Changes in your website are tracked.
- Audits the sessions and activities of users.
- Keeps track of unsuccessful login attempts.
- Allows you to block people from logging in.
- it’s possible that you’ll miss some essential activity because it only provides little information and just records basic changes.
- There are few log management tools and search filters available.
Another good choice for a logging plugin is Activity Log. It allows you to see what’s going on with your site right from your WordPress dashboard. It’s also really simple to set up and use straight out of the box.
Posts, plugins, possible hacks, suspicious admin activity, theme changes, and more are all recorded in the Activity Log. You can keep track of anything from posts to pages to custom post kinds to comments, users, plugins, and shop options.
You may configure the plugin to send you email notifications for specific occurrences. The plugin also makes it simple to save activity records to your computer as a CSV file.
- Keeps track of users and the WordPress core.
- WooCommerce activities may be tracked and logged.
- Email alerts that may be customized
- Tools for exporting log files
- The activity log does not provide a lot of information.
- The plugin has limited activity log management and configuration options; cannot be customized.
Stream can proactively warn you when anything goes wrong with your WordPress site via real-time notifications and third-party connectors. You can view what’s changed, who changed it, and when, from plugin activation to post deletion, login attempts, and new user creation.
To the Stream logs, the plugin records WordPress user and system actions. Every action taken by a logged-in user is presented in an activity stream that may be filtered by User, Role, Context, Action, or IP address. Admins may utilize the Stream log to highlight entries, such as questionable user behavior, and analyze what’s going on in real-time. Stream also lets you set up email notifications and webhooks for Slack and IFTTT connections to warn you and your team when something goes wrong
Stream is ideal for keeping track of your customers.
- The bulk of activity you’ll ever need is logged.
- Integrates with third-party plugins like WooCommerce and Slack, as well as IFTTT.
- It’s possible to set it up to send email notifications.
- Compatibility with WordPress Multisite
- Limits your options for personalizing email notifications, which might lead to a lot of useless messages being sent to you.
User Activity Log
User Activity Log is a straightforward tool for logging and tracking website activity. It’s simple to keep track of changes to the site’s content, users, media, and settings.
Easy Digital Download, Advance Custom Field, Gravity Forms, User Switching, WooCommerce, Yoast SEO, and other popular plugins are now supported by User Activity Log.
You can have access to hook settings, sorting options, password security, export logs, deleted logs, custom event logs, and more by upgrading to the Pro membership.
- It keeps track of a wide range of users and activities.
- Can keep track of a large number of third-party WordPress plugins
- Email alerts and log file export
- In the premium edition, advanced log configuration is available.
- Activity logs aren’t as detailed.
- The functionality of the free plugin is pretty restricted.
- Pro version – $99 regular license
Error Log Monitor
It’s always a good idea to keep an eye on your PHP error log, whether you’re using WordPress for development or just as a blog or CMS.
Error Log Monitor was designed to allow you to quickly examine the most current messages from your PHP error log on your Dashboard, as well as give you automated email notifications when new issues occur.
- The most recent messages from your PHP error log are displayed in the Dashboard widget.
- The location of the log file is automatically detected.
- If error logging hasn’t been enabled yet, this section contains steps for doing so.
- Checks the log for new problems on a regular basis and emails them to you.
- The focus is very narrow.
User Activity Tracking and Log
With this highly effective, easy-to-use, and well-supported plugin. This WordPress activity log plugin allows you to track users and website activity in a simple and intuitive method. It can track users, user activity, content updates, and almost anything else on your site.
You may also track IP addresses, utilize search and filters, locate logs by location, filter logs by role, export logs to CSV files, and view logs in JSON format via the Rest API.
Because the plugin does not keep cookies on users’ computers, so you do not need to opt-in the cookies.
The plugin is GDPR and CCPA compliant and can keep log files for up to 4 years if necessary.
- It’s easy to use
- The ability to search and filter
- GDPR and CCPA compliance compatible Rest API
- No free version is available
- Single License – £49 per year
- Developer License – £99 per year
- Agency License – £199 per year
Website File Changes Monitor
It’s a full-featured log tool that can track code changes, user file activity, and WordPress core changes, as well as scan and log changes to any code on your website.
Use the simple Website File Changes Monitor plugin to keep track of changes to your website’s files. It notifies you anytime files on your WordPress site are added, changed, or removed. The plugin may send you email alerts, log hack attempts and harmful code modifications, and assess WordPress’ integrity.
This is more of a security plugin to assist defend against hackers and viruses than a user audit tool, but it does a great job at what it does.
- Checks for code changes throughout the whole website.
- Monitors and checks the WordPress core for updates.
- Malware and assaults should be identified and alerted to.
- If required, send email alerts.
- It is more of a security Tool than an activity log plugin
WP Mail SMTP
WP Mail SMTP is a strong plugin that greatly enhances the deliverability of WordPress emails. It was created to address the all-too-common issue of WordPress emails getting missing or ending up in spam bins.
This might provide you peace of mind if you’re worried about missing something or if your emails aren’t going out correctly. You may also use it to fine-tune your website’s email alerts and keep track of how many emails have been sent out.
- You may turn off emails you don’t need using WP Mail SMTP.
- Setting up WP Mail SMTP and tweaking it to function precisely how you want for your site’s needs is a breeze.
- Your website will not be slowed down by using WP Mail SMTP. It’s built with performance in mind, including contemporary best practices to keep your site operating smoothly and quickly.
- It is a bit hard to handle for beginners
- Pro Plan – $99 per year
- Elite Plan – $149 per year
- Developer Plan – $249 per year
- Agency Plan – $449 per year
What’s your favorite WordPress Activity Log Plugin?
Installing a plugin to track WordPress activity provides you with a lot of information about your site. WP Activity Log’s comprehensive audit log is the best for us. It comes with a comprehensive set of features that allow users to not only monitor what’s going on on a website but also to assist manage the site’s security. A rapid response from the dashboard for individuals who are having problems is really beneficial.
Activity logs are more vital than ever with the development of remote working and distributed teams. An activity log may help you track user activity, enhance user responsibility and communication, simplify troubleshooting, and improve the security of your WordPress site, among other things.
User activity monitoring can assist identify misuse and decrease the risk of malware infections or data breaches by detecting improper behaviors. It also aids in lowering the cost of compliance while providing insight for bettering security measures.
Let us know how you get on!